Keyboard magazine leak

Forum for JUPITER-80
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Keyboard magazine leak

Post by Artemiy »

hoodedclaw, in Mr. Kakehashi's book he writes about Japan being an "importer of software". He tells that Japan didn't have much of their own developments, but they took them from the West and started from there. I think that Roland actually started to be ashamed of this fact, and they're now trying to NOT take any ideas from the West. The problem is, they do not seem to have much of their own ideas for now. Maybe they DO have many ideas inside, but they're too afraid to implement them, or, rather, the marketing folks are too unsure of themselves.

The thing is, the success or failure of JUPITER-80 will change Roland. If JP-80 is successful, this is what we will see from Roland in the future. If JP-80 fails to sell well, I bet many of their present R&D folks will go away and they will seek for fresh minds that will re-invent Roland synths.
vxfan

Post by vxfan »

Roland (or other manufacturers) Bashing is nothing new of course. Several sights have people complaining about this Jupiter 80. Also, I have seen many say that Roland is rehashing, and non innovating. Seems Roland has always used their technology in many different instruments. Well we have: Juno-106, Juno-106s, HS60 the D series with the D-50 then the Mt-32, D-20, D10, D-110, D-5 etc. (L.A. synthesis) The Sound Canvases, JV-30,35,50, XP-10, The JV-80 and the JV-880, JV-90, JV-1000, JV-1080 and The XP-50, Xp-80, XP-30, The XV-88, Fantom S, Fantom Xs, XR, Juno-G, etc. This is not new and neither our is ability to gloat or gripe (this is something we often see to extremes). People are always going to be critical of new gear because they have certain expectations that they create for various reasons. As we know the Roland Jupiter name is legendary among the synth community so when something new has such a recognizable Banner (i.e. Jupiter) of course it will be compared to the original. I always look forward to new product releases. Not everything that is released is for everyone but we all can look forward to new things to come and also enjoy our older gear too.
b3keys

Post by b3keys »

If Roland has the balls to name this keyboard "JUPITER," then they must feel that it has spectacular sounds.
We will see tomorrow!
cosmotobe

Post by cosmotobe »

Artemiy wrote:Oh wow, it is such a rare thing when someone asks me for censorhip and moderation! And it's right about when I loosened my leadership here after being accused of being a tyran a thousand times...
Yes, in recent times you seemed to be a more tolerant censor sheep, which I appreciate very much. If you run this forum for ALL Roland users, it's only human to see some criticism on Roland from time to time.

I frequenty look at the Motifator Forum and there's plenty of Yamaha bashing going on. But as long as it does not cross the line to nonsense, people tolerate it. Still a great forum with lots of helpful and inspiring discussions for Motif users. So if it works on a "Yamaha forum BY Yamaha", why should it not work on a "Roland forum by Artemiy"?

Please don't change your way of moderating this forum, Artemiy, you're doing a very good job running the Roland Clan. Thank you very much for that!
velocifero wrote:Roland is having one helluva good year despite the paid shills and haters on this thread.
And who paid you?
hoodedclaw wrote:90% of my studio is Roland gear and 80% of it analogue
My percentages differ a bit, but I absolutely hear you. I've been using lots of Roland synths (including some original Jupiters and MKS). AND I LOVE THEM VERY MUCH! Also I loved my XP-80 and my Fantom X7. So I'm basically a Roland junkie.

@velocifero:
Don't you think people like hoodedclaw and I (and I bet there are some more on this forum with similar background) should be allowed to speak their thoughts on new Roland products? Who should be allowed to write here, only Roland-fanboy-noobs? (I did NOT say YOU are a Roland-fanboy-noob!!!)
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

i think it's time velocifero checks out earnings report of Roland Corporation.

the last time i looked at their report for FY2010, it was pretty shitty... this JUNK-80 is not going to help.
IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo »

I can't understand why some people want MORE and MORE!
You guys spend a lot of money in equipment to get the same from each company.

"I have a Kronos, a M3, a Motif XF, a Motif XS, a Fantom-X, a Fantom-G, SRX from 1 to 12, Radias, TR, Tyros 4, Oasys, another Kronos with a 2 Gb didgeridoo sample, and now I'm pissed off because I think Jupiter-80 won't be a good synth!! Dammit!!"

I think you all should start thinking about creating your own company, making new keyboards... you all have so many good ideas! It's amazing!! If you want something with a good piano, buy a 40Gb library. The same goes to all other instruments. You are all collectors, not using the good understanding of the word, but a disease!!

If you take a good look, professionals don't use the number of keyboards some of the users here have. I doubt that any of them use more than 3 (esc Jordan Rudess, a retarded one that collects...).

Artemiy is a perfect example. He works with music, but don't have an insane amount of boards to play and don't wastes space at his home to place 20 keyboards... he also has a family, a social life, a job and a lot of other things. Stop getting pissed with something that isn't out yet. And when it comes out, you're not obliged to buy it if you don't like it.

I used to visit this thing much more, but now I realise that people don't change the subject! They're always very worried about something new or another board that they also want. I wanted a V-Synth GT, could afford one if I really wanted to, but sold my G8 to buy it. Why would I start to collect keyboards at home??!?!?!?!?!?! It doesn't make any sense. And more, companies that produce keyboards are not thinking about these people. They want to attract new costumers, with something more accessible, not a 5k unit that have a brain inside and make music on it's own. Here in Brazil a lot of musicians make a great sound with a Juno-D! I can't understand why some complain with a Fantom-G!

I think this post isn't directed to everyone. I think most of the users here have also something else to worry about!

I'm not happy that Roland doesn't help the users a lot (at least I'm not saying this for myself, they always answered my questions through email...), but hey, I'm going to my 3rd Roland keyboard, because it really doesn't matter if they'll help me or not! Why would I bother to buy a new ARX/SRX/keyboard if I can do it with real instruments?!?

I'd like to see more things in the Roland Powered Music section, and not in posts like this one.

LET'S MAKE SOME MUSIC! Instruments come and go, and what's really important is that you feel good about the music you're doing and not technologies.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Somehow Roland listened to me.

I've been telling my Sweetwater sales rep this very thing for at least a year...I want a board that does the basics like piano, organ & synth at a very high level of realism. Make it easy to combine tones into splits & layers and make the sound transitions seamless. Give me an uncluttered control surface clearly labelled so I can concentrate on playing and entertaining the audience.

Hello Jupiter 80. The original Jupiter 8 was a great live board which saw quite a bit of use. Presets and splits/layers easily accessible. I see the spirit of the original JP in this new board.

In live performance, much of the minutia that's being endlessly debated gets lost in the mix. 3 elements instead of 4. Hmm I wonder if the audience will even notice over the roar of the guitar amps, drum kit, multiple vocalists and backing trax.

I'm looking forward to hearing Roland's salespitch and ultimately hearing one in person. I don't take much stock of the opinions of "experts" who can only point to their own personal post counts & synthesizer museums as some proof of validity. At the end of the day, an artist rarely blames his tools. We're at the point these machines are so capable there is little reason why someone can't get it done on these new synths.
Dyonight

Post by Dyonight »

So as I understand it, this Jupiter-80 is not meant to replace the V-Synth GT? If the synth section of the jupiter-80 is a Gaia SH-1 then the V-Synth GT clearely have the edge over over the J-80 in terms of synth power/capabilities? I'm I missing something?

Anyway we'll see tomorrow, the fact is that I bought a V-Synth GT last year at full price and I hope that I could not have something better one year later for the same money... or get the V-synth for less... Anyway, my V-Synth will be awesome anyway!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, there is no V-Synth engine in JP-80. Which is strange, if you ask me... with all that SuperNatural acoustic stuff, it would have been an incredible combination.
Dyonight

Post by Dyonight »

Artemiy wrote:Yes, there is no V-Synth engine in JP-80. Which is strange, if you ask me... with all that SuperNatural acoustic stuff, it would have been an incredible combination.
Yes this is strange indeed... but I'm glad to hear it I must say! Now I can focus on getting a small 88 key stage piano with Supernatural pianos and I'll be set!

Can't wait however to see this Jupiter thing in action....
cosmotobe

Post by cosmotobe »

IgorCristo wrote:not a 5k unit that have a brain inside and make music on it's own.
Who wants that? I even don't use an arpeggiator or Karma. (Sometimes I even don't need MIDI) But I need analog sound. So if someone says Jupiter-8x my brain starts to remember...
IgorCristo wrote:Here in Brazil a lot of musicians make a great sound with a Juno-D!
Yes, aftertouch is so 80s. Good that Roland replaced it with a more usable D-Beam controler on most of the new synths!
IgorCristo wrote:I can't understand why some complain with a Fantom-G!
Because SOME of them had a Fantom X before it and started to miss some features they never imagined to be missing on a new flagship Workstation. (And SOME belived Roland would put out more ARX cards.) Besides that, the Fantom G is a great instrument with some minor shortcomings. AND: Nobody here says a Kronos or Motif is flawless!

The other side: If people weren't bitching about it, Roland maybe would never have released the multisample update for the G. In this case, the complaints improved the product. See how I point out an example of Roland's user friendliness...
IgorCristo wrote:LET'S MAKE SOME MUSIC! Instruments come and go, and what's really important is that you feel good about the music you're doing and not technologies.
Right, but you've got to admit, you're also reading speculations about new synths and hope for the ultimate dream machine ;-P got you!
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

the more and more im looking at new synths with piano capabilities, the more i like the new nord stage2.

are Gaia's selling well? i ask because toys like that have no meaning for me. it's like those microsynths korg has. never had the interest to buy one. the Junk-80 kinda seems like a full sized version of them.
FatBrass

Post by FatBrass »

Come on, you guys out there. Are you serious? How can you write so much crap about a synth you've never even heard???
are Gaia's selling well? i ask because toys like that have no meaning for me.
Well, that is a pretty good reason NOT to ask...

Too much negativity. At least wait until you've heard it, OK?
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

it most certainly would, ..the v-synth is the one Roland product that transcends fanboy boundaries and gets big respect everywhere..

Regarding the synth engine.. is this derived from the FG?.. not that thats a bad thing as the FG is actually very comprehensive, but real oscillators would have been nice.
Artemiy wrote:Yes, there is no V-Synth engine in JP-80. Which is strange, if you ask me... with all that SuperNatural acoustic stuff, it would have been an incredible combination.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

@Mystic38

In the analog synth section of the JP-80, these are not VA oscillators, they're sample-based and the whole engine is pretty much a slightly cut-down (but more easy to grasp!) version of Fantom-S/X/G. But the SuperNatural part of the synth is completely different, it uses a kind of morphing technology to provide totally seamless, imperceptible shifting of multisampled layers, plus they have that articulation modeling - should all be pretty interesting!