Jupiter-80 videos

Forum for JUPITER-80
Leh173

Re: Jupiter-80 videos

Post by Leh173 »

Thanks for posting those dbijoux, that video give a good idea of what those sounds are like.

BTW that gearslutz thread is not for the faint hearted! LOL
jabberwocky

Post by jabberwocky »

Fieuw,
it has 256 ossijators (asume it is oscillators) according this Roland tech .. 5:40 ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fVlgrro5cQ
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Here is one with Scott Tibbs from Roland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG8nvJJBMcw

In this video he is playing mostly synth sounds.

I am curious, Scott has said on more than one occasion that the Jupiter-80 can model/emulate synthesizers of the past and present, such as a synthesizers unique filters.

I wonder if that means we will have a list of synthesizer models that we can use to create sounds or play a given sound through? It sounds very interesting!

The instruction manual should shed a lot of light on all the features, cant wait!
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

jabberwocky wrote:Fieuw,
it has 256 ossijators (asume it is oscillators) according this Roland tech .. 5:40 ;-)
I think he meant to say that the Jupiter-80 is capable of 256 polyphony. Roland’s other videos said the Jupiter-80 has 27 oscillators but it definitely has 256 polyphony, which is awesome!
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

This one is in Japanese…

It was recorded with a camera at a distance (it distorts a bit) so the audio quality of the recording is not good but it does showoff some of the JUPITER-80’S awesome expressive abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioiWqkVHtFA&fmt=18
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Amazing One wrote:This one is in Japanese…

It was recorded with a camera at a distance (it distorts a bit) so the audio quality of the recording is not good but it does showoff some of the JUPITER-80’S awesome expressive abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioiWqkVHtFA&fmt=18
Yes, it's a pity that the sound is a little distorted and pitched the medium/High EQ (or maybe no EQ at all...)
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

256 polyphony is a good spec fair enough, but 27 oscillators is simple (and unimpressive) math.. .

In the JP-80 you have upper=4 tones * 3 partials = 12, lower = 4 tones * 3 partials = 12, solo = 1 tone * 3 partials = 3, hence a total of 27 indivdual discrete partials.. not something in itself worth shouting about....as for comparison the Fantom G can simultaneously play 16 patches (tone) each of 4 tones (partial) so thats 64 individually discrete partials..

The good news on the seemingly crappy 27 number is that the breadth, depth and color of synth sounds does not depend predominantly on the number of discrete sound sources, but what you can do with them.... many a great synth had 2 oscillators :)

..and like all good synths, you will not be able to compare or understand how good it is from the spec sheet.

..disclaimer: i had to say that since i just bought a 2-part 4 voice synth..lol

Amazing One wrote:
I think he meant to say that the Jupiter-80 is capable of 256 polyphony. Roland’s other videos said the Jupiter-80 has 27 oscillators but it definitely has 256 polyphony, which is awesome!
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Hi Mystic38!
Mystic38 wrote:256 polyphony is a good spec fair enough, but 27 oscillators is simple (and unimpressive) math.. .

In the JP-80 you have upper=4 tones * 3 partials = 12, lower = 4 tones * 3 partials = 12, solo = 1 tone * 3 partials = 3, hence a total of 27 indivdual discrete partials.. not something in itself worth shouting about....as for comparison the Fantom G can simultaneously play 16 patches (tone) each of 4 tones (partial) so thats 64 individually discrete partials..

The good news on the seemingly crappy 27 number is that the breadth, depth and color of synth sounds does not depend predominantly on the number of discrete sound sources, but what you can do with them.... many a great synth had 2 oscillators :)

..and like all good synths, you will not be able to compare or understand how good it is from the spec sheet.

Amazing One wrote:
As you suggested, the significance of the oscillators is dependent on the synthesizers architecture. The oscillator or tone layout is simple to understand, this is true, but I think you are disregarding the value of the Jupiter-80’s 9 tone 27 partial structure in relation to it’s polyphony count in comparison to the Fantom-G’s 64 tone 16 patch structure (when in performance mode).

The Fantom-G may have 64 tones but in practical everyday use, it is not superior to the Jupiter-80 in the amount of tones that can sound at once. In almost all cases, due to it’s polyphony, the Jupiter can have more tones sound and thus have a larger sound.

Furthermore, both the Jupiter-80 brochure and Roland representatives state that the Jupiter-80 can emulate characteristics of filter behavior, oscillator waveforms unique to various analog or digital synthesizers of the past and present and other synth elements as well as being able to emulate acoustic instrument behavior! With this being the case, the Jupiter-80 is closer to being a true VA synth than what we traditionally call a VA synth. Considering that, we can take into account that the Jupiter-80 has much more polyphony and partials (or tones when comparing to the Fantom) than the standard VA synth, thus, making it unique and putting it in a class all it’s own. So in this respect, the Jupiter-80’s tone/partial structure is definitely something to shout about, heck, I feel like dancing.

Also, Vince (keyboards product manager for Roland US) had this to say on another web page…
Vince wrote:Another cool thing is how you can stack 27 oscillators, each with independent filter, amp, and LFO. Each “synth” tone has 3 oscillators (called “partials” with independent filter, amp, and LFO), and if you use Upper, Lower, and Solo parts, that’s 9 tones. 9×3=27. We’ve also modeled the JUPITER-8s UNISON mode, so if that get’s dropped into the equation, you’re up in the 70s! Can you say thick?!
So I think your claim that the Jupiter-80’s tone structure is unimpressive is a bit of a misrepresentation in relation to it’s nature and overall potential as a tone producing powerhouse!

When we take my points above into account, I think we can all agree that the Jupiter-80 is the superior tone producing beast of a MACHINE!!!

Concerning a related matter..

Because of what I mentioned above, I think Roland used good judgment concerning the terms they used. The Jupiter-80 may appear to have lower stats on paper tone wise when compared to the Fantoms. But in practice, concerning practical use, it’s superior in the tone department, so I think it was a good idea to use terms that are different to the Fantoms.

And besides all of this, according to what I have read, you have now lost all credibility here, so I don’t see why anyone should take you seriously..;-)..lol!
Mystic38 wrote:The good news on the seemingly crappy 27 number
Watermelon

Post by Watermelon »

256 polyphony is a good spec fair enough, but 27 oscillators is simple (and unimpressive) math.. .

In the JP-80 you have upper=4 tones * 3 partials = 12, lower = 4 tones * 3 partials = 12, solo = 1 tone * 3 partials = 3, hence a total of 27 indivdual discrete partials..
I love mathematics too... ;-)

By taking the unison mode capability at tone level, the math becomes : 27 (individual partials) *8 (the max unison size) = 216 osc/note (!) ;-)
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

@ amazing one..

in your zeal to question my credibility you failed to read and understand my post and so missed the point..

You were getting enamoured with specifications and i simply said don't be...:)

Personally I am impressed with what I have heard so far however the JP-80 will be ranked and judged by the press and user community when it is played by them in non-contrived environments. Its sales success will be judged by the number of people who not only believe the synth is worth the price but pay it...

Until then, boasting about 27 sound sources and *gasp* a single LFO for each is just plain silly...
etherweet

Post by etherweet »

Postby donutninja » 03:29, 6 April 2011
I'm in 100% lust with this thing.

just when i was close to having the money set aside for the new rd 700 and maybe the black ax synth...

THIS had to come along..... an engineers dream... lotsa colors

(drool shorting out computer keyboard)
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Mystic38 wrote:@ amazing one..

in your zeal to question my credibility you failed to read and understand my post and so missed the point..

You were getting enamoured with specifications and i simply said don't be...:)
Hi Mystic38!

Yeah, I saw the fail safe you put in..lol!
Mystic38 wrote:..and like all good synths, you will not be able to compare or understand how good it is from the spec sheet.

But I think it failed…I don’t see where I was enamored about specs concerning my quote in your pervious post. I just wanted to help put a stop to the spread of misinformation as that would not be good for anyone who buys a Jupiter-80. I was not trying to question your credibility nor did I fail to read your post. I just responded to your post with the same manner of reasoning you applied. And I believe you know that the following statement was only a friendly ribbing and running gag, as found in other threads.
Amazing One wrote:And besides all of this, according to what I have read, you have now lost all credibility here, so I don’t see why anyone should take you seriously..;-)..lol!
However…I understand you and it’s always cool to see what others are into. I am most definitely an extreme tech guy and know the tech behind synthesizers about as good as a person can know it.
Mystic38 wrote:Until then, boasting about 27 sound sources and *gasp* a single LFO for each is just plain silly…
One could say that the way you compared the Fantom-G’s stats to the Jupiter-80 without having used the Jupiter-80 was silly in the same way. You presented a comparison of stats, so that’s what we did, and it’s a common practice. When the Jupiter-80 is made available to the public we will move to the real life comparisons. Until then, I see nothing wrong with discussing matters using the information we have available, again, it’s a very common practice.

I’ll leave the matter with that…I think we both understand each other tech wise.
Kristijan

Post by Kristijan »

Maybe posts should be limited to 1000 characters.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Damn you Kristijan!!.. i just choked on my coffee :D
Kristijan wrote:Maybe posts should be limited to 1000 characters.
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

Kristijan wrote:Maybe posts should be limited to 1000 characters.
Maybe?!?