Official Roland Jupiter 80 Info Up

Forum for JUPITER-80
Undercoverman

Re: Official Roland Jupiter 80 Info Up

Post by Undercoverman »

But you get the option. You can use the Kronos as a live performance synth in much the same way as the Jupiter (layer sounds etc.), plus it has a sequencer and sampling capability along with suitably deep instrument editing and synthesis options like the Jupiter (it's actually got three VA instruments under the hood, too). Again, the question still stands - with all this coming as standard for around the same price... Why buy the Jupiter? The technology exists, and has existed, to put everything in the board for the price the Jupiter is going for. You get the choice with the Kronos, the only reason I could think that you'd want to intentionally limit yourself by buying the Jupiter is if you suffer from having too much choice - which is a valid reason for some musicians.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

Undercoverman wrote:But you get the option. You can use the Kronos as a live performance synth in much the same way as the Jupiter (layer sounds etc.), plus it has a sequencer and sampling capability along with suitably deep instrument editing and synthesis options like the Jupiter (it's actually got three VA instruments under the hood, too). Again, the question still stands - with all this coming as standard for around the same price... Why buy the Jupiter? The technology exists, and has existed, to put everything in the board for the price the Jupiter is going for. You get the choice with the Kronos, the only reason I could think that you'd want to intentionally limit yourself by buying the Jupiter is if you suffer from having too much choice - which is a valid reason for some musicians.
ive not tried either keyboards in person so dont know for sure, but at the end it really comes down to the fun factor of owning such synth and just a matter of can the musican own one or not financially. some musicians will own one just for the fun of owning one and playing them.

too many keyboards these days are just tools or like bland computers... it's convenient and im sure they are very intelligently made but does not have the sense of character or the fun of owning an instrument.
apex

Post by apex »

for the last year, it seems like I've seen numerous post about WORKSTATIONS are dead..... there is no market for them anymore.... blah blah blah...

now Roland releases a board with NO sequencer.... and people still complain. WOW...

the sequencer may not have made it more expensive (per say), but it would have been one more thing that Roland would have had to maintain/improve/etc...

So they just put all the "supernatural" technology that we were wanting in ARX format into the JP-80.

It's a great board for someone. someone that just plays live, or can use a computer and an audio interface to get ideas/songs into a sequence.

it will sell. believe that.

I also had the thought, what if this is just a side bar to push some G sales...

now our precious Fantom G doesn't look so bad does it?
srgebel

Post by srgebel »

im new to the community, and i am not nearly as knowledgeable about synths, as i'm a transformed
drummer (bad back) to keyboards (played as a kid for fun, now im doing it full time)

I tell you what i'm thinking when i see this keyboard with the limited history knowledge that i have on
all synths, workstations etc.

1. the jupiter name is very inviting to own with its given history. I see jupiter 8 and i think synth
madness of the 80s (im in a 80s cover band) so i see Hungry like the wolf, some journey and others
wrapped up in this historic name.

2. i see a very expensive synth that i'll never be able to own, some of the sounds i heard and the
ability to layer sounds (which i can only do two at a time with my juno Di) is very inviting, again
i dont know what the Vsynth and others can do.

3. I think roland doesnt try to please everyone, how can you possibly do that after reading all these
reviews by much more experienced people, i dont see that ever happening.

4. They are attempting to relive the past and gain on that capital, can you blame anyone? but if you
are going to do that, i would think you'd make it more like the original, maybe it is, maybe it isnt.

I am looking to make one more big purchase for my keyboard rig, and i've been torn between a
fantom x7 or a Vsynth. Again i'm in a 80s pop cover band and like to ad a bit of newer technology
to the sound. i'm happy with my Di, but i do something to replace my RS-5 at some point,and until
i saw the price tag, i though the JP80 was it, but its not.

I would buy this if i could , cause i would use it solely with performing live in mind as i'm no studio
musician. just my thoughts,

scott
PS when its going to be released.
keysme

Post by keysme »

Little confused here. The Motif XF has a sequencer...
My bad. You're right. The Motif XF does have a sequencer. I thought I heard that Yamaha had nixed it in the XF. It pays to check I guess huh? ;)
keysme

Post by keysme »

Kenchan writes: "keys- your posts are too long... just highlight wat you want to say and make a few sentenses."

What's the fun in that? :D lol

You're right though Ken. I got to cut it down some... er... a lot! :) Thanks for the reminder. ;)
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Rather than the XF, the better comparison as a live performance synth from yamaha is the S70XS. It is half the price, has a(limited) midi payback sequencer which is a big big plus for me, but the worlds smallest screen and all detail editing is required on the PC, but you do get a decent keybed, decent piano and the XS rack for free.

I think feedback from some of the piano players on the JP-80 keybed is a must here.. its pointless having SN AP if it lacks the realism due to semiweighted keys..

keysme wrote:
Little confused here. The Motif XF has a sequencer...
My bad. You're right. The Motif XF does have a sequencer. I thought I heard that Yamaha had nixed it in the XF. It pays to check I guess huh? ;)
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

You can also get a casio with a synth engine, a sequencer and sampling capability.. and its cheaper!

Rediculous statement?..yes.. but the point is ITS ALL ABOUT THE SOUND.. you really need to defer judgment until you hear the damn things.. reading and comparing functionality is pointless unless you only want one board and must have a workstation, in which case you ignore JP-80 and look at Kronos, FG and XF.

Undercoverman wrote:But you get the option. You can use the Kronos as a live performance synth in much the same way as the Jupiter (layer sounds etc.), plus it has a sequencer and sampling capability along with suitably deep instrument editing and synthesis options like the Jupiter (it's actually got three VA instruments under the hood, too). Again, the question still stands - with all this coming as standard for around the same price... Why buy the Jupiter? The technology exists, and has existed, to put everything in the board for the price the Jupiter is going for. You get the choice with the Kronos, the only reason I could think that you'd want to intentionally limit yourself by buying the Jupiter is if you suffer from having too much choice - which is a valid reason for some musicians.
vladuca

Post by vladuca »

Artemiy wrote:
knolan wrote: By the way the poster above is wrong - it does of course have virtual analogue modelling on board.
Kevin, I worked on the JUPITER-80's factory sounds, and I know what I am saying. It's sound generator in the synth section is solely based on sampled waveforms. It has many of them from classic analog synths and this is a big plus over a few analog-modeled waveforms.
Artemiy - the final version is VA, not sampled waveforms. There were many phases in the development. You are only referring to phase 1, but a very important phase, and glad you were a part of it!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

vladuca wrote:Artemiy - the final version is VA, not sampled waveforms. There were many phases in the development. You are only referring to phase 1, but a very important phase, and glad you were a part of it!
That sounds very good, Vince! Thanks for clearing this out for me. I was just lacking the final info from the dev team... wouldn't have made such claims otherwise.

I hope my sounds do contribute to the success of the new Jupe! :-)
DJ RAZZ

Post by DJ RAZZ »

So are the AXR cards history all together or just on new products? Will they be around for the next Fantom if there is another Fantom?
en76

Post by en76 »

Since they discontinued G7, JP80 76-keys is a good idea. with the supernatural piano, it is ideal to have it in 76 keys.
AS far as ARX goes, it may seem to make sense to have it build in to a product if your not making the sales Quota quarterly. I figure they take advantage of the opportunity and incorporate in their existing lines they maybe it a point of satisfactory in sales then, ARX cards may be considered.
It may seems that the next fantom will be much refined and even more powerful just by thinking about the JP-80, V-line, and others that uses Supernatural technology.
With this sale concept for that new fantom:
" Now, since we have developed the Supernatural technology and lunched it on our flagship Fantom G, we have watched it expanded to the rest of our existing lines, we felt that is time for all of our product line to pay some respect to Fantom and in turn contributes its at most best technology to now the new cutting edge innovative, FANTOM KING" applause applause applause, "Not only that, we decided to give you a 7.33"H X 9.52"W touch screen for your connivence and also ask our good friends from Cakewalk to also contribute their best editing software into the Studio section" If you think thats it, then brace your self for this, We at roland have also went out of our way and decided to give you our Fantom lovers and new customers, a never before in the history of Roland, a state of the art, on of kind,
do it yourself, The MANUAL. Also never before with the price point of $2000 US dollar.

We feel that you the customer know what you want and you can build your fantom king. LOL!

anyways, back to work.
jabberwocky

Post by jabberwocky »

en76 wrote: with the supernatural piano, it is ideal to have it in 76 keys
... are these weighted keys then ? That would make sence.

... also I'm not so optimistic about this super natural :
RD700Gx, ARX2, ARX3 are not worth the money.
These demo's violin, ac. bass, timpani, acou. guitar ???? euh ....

Maybe, the piano and VA section will be ok, but for the B3 it lacks the hardware controllers - (or these might be sold seperately ;-) )

Nah, I'll stick with the Fantom Concept.
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

DJ RAZZ wrote:So are the AXR cards history all together or just on new products? Will they be around for the next Fantom if there is another Fantom?
I don't think you should count on seeing any new ARX expansion cards.

Whether or not to release any more new ARX cards is purely an economic decision, and if you take into consideration that ARX has been abandoned and that the only customers you will get for a new ARX card is a percentage of those who have a FG (an aging workstation which will be replaced in the near future), plus the fact that the ARX cards are expensive, then it's not hard to see that it is very unlikely that Roland will come up with any new ARX cards: it simply does not make sense from an financial point of view.
en76

Post by en76 »

are these weighted keys then ? That would make sence.
in a sense of light weight and sufficient amount of keys in one case/bag on the go. Since RD700NX cover the basic essentials of the usual genre of music, It is also great idea to use some of it for those performers who do such sophisticated/unique adventurous blending of tones.
so in other words, I may wanna do that kind and this kind at a given live set and no need logging that extra weight around.
It is true, weighted keys do add that extra soul into it, so is the synth acting in a different way so to speak.

For me, It just what I expected when I bout into the Supernatural technology concept before I got my FG. So, JP-80 is definitely a must have for me. As far as comparing it to other budget friendly synths, I guess my FG kind tells me i don't need it. I kind of wanting some ARX for the FG in these area( PIANO,ORGAN, STRING, and ACOUSTIC Guitar which this JP-80 do have and much more as a addition to my beloved FG.
So again, JP-80 does make sense for me to leave my FG at home.

Now, you can use that FG for your main song/sound tracks and mix it down to USB and take it with you along this JP-80 on the "road". What else you be missing? Well what else you need beside the pads for live playing, maybe not much but if you need do the essentials basic genre of music/solo, well you have the best sound available to you in Supernatural/modeling technology. Yes JP-80 make sense.

JP-80 plus V-synth GT may just well all you may need or FG in the mix may as the threes that not only sound massive but looks great.