Official Roland Jupiter 80 Info Up

Forum for JUPITER-80
bisibuuu

Re: Official Roland Jupiter 80 Info Up

Post by bisibuuu »

so no more expansion cards...
no sequencer on board..
SuperNatural all around,,,it actually misses only on G...
very good synth,,but not a workstation..am i wrong?
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Looks like the RolandConnect info is the only "official" Roland info up currently. Going to rolandus redirects to the RolandConnect page. Looking forward to a full complement of videos and audio demos. #jupiter80 sounding great so far!
en76

Post by en76 »

I guess, what better way of having all supernatural sound on one instrument that can utilize much more controls and DSP like this J-80. I guess, this is where I buy it to marry my FG. not bad, now I can see why they went this route cause it make sense if I to use fully the supernatural technology.
bisibuuu

Post by bisibuuu »

but...ok,i understand the marketing reasons to spread SuperNatural Sounds here and there..and all around
but..why not on Fantom G...
en76

Post by en76 »

Ok this one have the Supernatural piano, string, brass, E-piano, virtual tone organ, bass, woodwind, clav,and much more mmmm so basically all the ARX in one housing. CARDS will be fine too I guess.
bisibuuu

Post by bisibuuu »

en76 wrote:Ok this one have the Supernatural piano, string, brass, E-piano, virtual tone organ, bass, woodwind, clav,and much more mmmm so basically all the ARX in one housing. CARDS will be fine too I guess.
i hope you're right...but my feeling is Roland won't release them in order to protect/sell the products
with SuperNatural within...
wladymeer

Post by wladymeer »

Any idea about weight of this synth?
bisibuuu

Post by bisibuuu »

en76

Post by en76 »

Thats what I get from the impression the guy is saying in the demo video on roland us site. I hope he's right cause it does make sense and plus 256 polyphonic, and layer up to 9 supernatural tones. means 4 upper, 4 lower and solo now that is pretty massive sound.

39lbs 1oz
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

Hmm, I have mixed feelings about this one.
It's great that Roland moves forward with their Supernatural technology, and I really liked some of the sounds I heard.

But, this synth clearly is aimed at the performer's market, so WHY aren't there any drawbars (or at least enough sliders) available for the onboard B3?
When performing you want to be able to have direct intuitive access to sounds, and having to put on my glasses to make sure that I can accurately access a tiny drawbar on the touchscreen is very different from simply flipping a drawbar back and forth.
I can't understand this design decision, and it reminds me of certain design decisions for the FG which also baffled me...Why shoot yourself in the commercial foot like that?

Also, why cut down on the synthesis engine compared to what the FG offers, why not implement V-synth technology to create a true competitive supersynth?

It's not my intention to put Roland down, and at least they deserve praise for pushing the V-technology forward. I certainly hope that they will implement this technology in any future workstation.
But still...why not try to do things right the first time?
wladymeer

Post by wladymeer »

But, this synth clearly is aimed at the performer's market, so WHY aren't there any drawbars (or at least enough sliders) available for the onboard B3?
How is 5.20" (in case display is 4:3 ratio based) wide tiny? Is 0.6" drawbar tiny? Maybe it's not wide but it's not like you would have to use pen to draw it ;)
Also, why cut down on the synthesis engine compared to what the FG offers
If you can stack up to 27 VA/PCM sampled oscilators per patch and play it with both hands without any chocking I don't see how it's cut down?
kday

Post by kday »

So the JP-80 has .....

1. no ribbon controller
2. no 61 key version
3. no real or virtual analog only pcm playback of analog waves.
4. no sampling
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Korg monotron has a ribbon controller. They also sell various ribbons at sex shops, you could use those as well...
knolan

Post by knolan »

I'm very excited about this. I found myself warming to the leaked images - it looked 'right' to me and I 'get it'. But now seeing and hearing it - it's a fabulous synthesizer. It looks jaw-droppingly good; and it's features are magnificent. No instrument is complete so complaining about what an instrument doesn't have is irrelevant at this stage - if you want some particular feature then get it in the plethora of other synthesizers that do have what you're after.

But this one offers much that is not otherwise available - it's currently unique for an in production synthesizer. It's a players instrument, a performance instrument that also has stunning sound and synthesis capabilities. I take my had off to Roland - they take a lot of flack becuase they have a stunning legacy whcih they seem not to acknowledge in the way the likes of Arturia and UAD have; but all along Roland know who they are and what they are doing - a forward looking innovative company that knows when to time it's reflection of its own stunning legacy and move it into the future. They did it with the D50 and JD800, and now they've done it again.

Despite criticism of many of Roland's recent releases (juno's in particular); the V-SynthGT is a modern powerhouse and now they've done it again. Its an awesome synthesizer with huge imagination and innovation; but with the worthiness of the Jupiter name. Roland know what they are doing and are looking to the future here - compare to Yamaha's absolutely depressing MOX releases for example.

I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these - it's a very, VERY exciting prospect IMO.

By the way the poster above is wrong - it does of course have virtual analogue modelling on board.

Kevin.