Official Roland Jupiter 80 Info Up

Forum for JUPITER-80
hoodedclaw

Re: Official Roland Jupiter 80 Info Up

Post by hoodedclaw »

It needs to be £1000 or less than it will cost for Roland to sell a lot. £2589.00 is what it will cost in the UK, and $4,266 in the US.
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

wladymeer wrote:How is 5.20" (in case display is 4:3 ratio based) wide tiny? Is 0.6" drawbar tiny? Maybe it's not wide but it's not like you would have to use pen to draw it ;)

If you can stack up to 27 VA/PCM sampled oscilators per patch and play it with both hands without any chocking I don't see how it's cut down?
Well, maybe I was a bit too critical.
From what I heard thusfar the J-80 can sound very fat and powerful.

Still, my objection against a touch screen surface instead of drawbars (or enough sliders) stands though, and in the light of the competition on the market I don't understand why Roland did not go all the way with this synth.
If you have limited finances (which is most of us) and you have to choose from what is currently available on the market, then I don't understand certain decisions made for the J-80.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

knolan wrote: By the way the poster above is wrong - it does of course have virtual analogue modelling on board.
Kevin, I worked on the JUPITER-80's factory sounds, and I know what I am saying. It's sound generator in the synth section is solely based on sampled waveforms. It has many of them from classic analog synths and this is a big plus over a few analog-modeled waveforms.
I AM

Post by I AM »

It's sound generator in the synth section is solely based on sampled waveforms
kinda frustrating... another expencive rompler from roland... it's more like stage decoration than a real synth beast... no sampling, no VA, not much sliders and knobs ( with them programming synth goes much faser)... no sequensing... maybe it has good programable arp? for me it looks like expencive and colourfull toy... or a decoration element
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I AM, it is always very easy to negatively comment something you don't know much about. For what the Jup was built for, it's a capable synthesizer, even without the natural sounds which are another story.
wladymeer

Post by wladymeer »

kinda frustrating... another expencive rompler from roland... it's more like stage decoration than a real synth beast... no sampling, no VA, not much sliders and knobs ( with them programming synth goes much faser)... no sequensing... maybe it has good programable arp? for me it looks like expencive and colourfull toy... or a decoration element
Very ignorant of you...
I AM

Post by I AM »

ignorant? yeah, maybe...
i'm pretty disapointed in roland recently, that's true... but could someone point some advantages of this synth over any other, say, kronos or even fantom X ? better converters and polyphony doesn't count... you'll hardly reach even 128 voices with a single patch.... it really looks good on picture (in my POV) but is there something noticable other than a cool external look? it seems to me like good old XV tech, branded supernatural now... that's why i'm so negative.....
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I AM wrote:ignorant? yeah, maybe...
(...)
it seems to me like good old XV tech, branded supernatural now... that's why i'm so negative.....
Well, but you seem to have no idea what SuperNatural is. Have you ever heard an instrument with this technology? It uses spectral morphing to create non-percieavable, smooth transitions between multisampled instrument layers. So no stepping or phasing artifacts there. It's a big, big step up from traditional multisampled sounds.
I AM

Post by I AM »

that's interesting, but i thought most modern roland stuff operates spectrum instead of regular time-amplitude representation of sound... but multisampled "analog synth" still sounds strange to me... maybe i'm a retrograd?!?! perhaps it's good for "real" instruments, like piano or trumpet, but again i think that digital piano is a poor man's replacement of a real piano... it's my own opinion and for sure, i'll be happy if this new instrument will inspire someone for great music...

but i doubt this synth is capable of some new, never-heared-before sounds...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I AM wrote:but i doubt this synth is capable of some new, never-heared-before sounds...
It's the sound designer who is capable of new, never-heard-before sounds :-) JP-80 is not so much about very new sounds, as it is for allowing to play a lot of them, with new level of quality, in a very live-oriented keyboard.
wladymeer

Post by wladymeer »

Artemiy is it safe to say that SuperNatural editing is very close to Physcial Modeling synthesis? Or maybe it's even same thing? If not, what would be difference?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

wladymeer wrote:Artemiy is it safe to say that SuperNatural editing is very close to Physcial Modeling synthesis? Or maybe it's even same thing? If not, what would be difference?
I only worked with the analog synth section on the JP-80, so can't tell. Let's see if we can get Dan Krisher or someone else at Roland to jump in and provide some details!
Chani

Post by Chani »

Any idea about amount ROM ?
wladymeer

Post by wladymeer »

Besides those 350 waveforms of synth part I believe Jupiter-80 doesn't have ROM as typical ROMpler, right?
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

oh please...

do you REALLY think that this is worth less that the Nord Lead 2x?.. current UK street price 1050UKP?

If you dont have any money, then simply do not buy it, but there are plenty of people who paid >$3000 for a v-synth GT, nord stage 76, access virus etc.. if the sound quality is there it will sell well. period.

hoodedclaw wrote:It needs to be £1000 or less than it will cost for Roland to sell a lot. £2589.00 is what it will cost in the UK, and $4,266 in the US.