Why would you purchase an 80 over a G or Kronos?

Forum for JUPITER-80
kenchan

Re: Why would you purchase an 80 over a G or Kronos?

Post by kenchan »

Quinnx. wrote:Okay its finaly released
compared to the G is 2 times the poly and got supernatural..
but for the price..??
$3000
why would anyone purchase one instead of getting an ebay G or Kronos for less????
i wouldnt' get the J-80 as replacement, but an addition to the other boards you have.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

i wouldnt' get the J-80 as replacement, but an addition to the other boards you have.
Wow! Even with all the colours? ;-)
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

@ Art:

LOL!!

the specs sheet says 4 parts..

does this mean is not 16 part multi timbrel?

Also the brochure is using terms that are confusing...
its talking about TONES instead of parts...

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pd ... ochure.pdf

each part on the G is made up of upto 4 TONES

the JP80 brochure is indicating that each live set consists of 4 layers each of which is referred to as a TONE!??

whats going on here??
Are they trying to confuse people?

Supernatural..
can be closely emulated with proper programing of the G
an not required for creating modern music..

You have no ears!

from what i heard in the videos its not any better than the fantom..

You have no soul!
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Yes, its 4 parts, not 16. The parts are:
Upper
Lower
Solo
Percussion

A Tone is basically the equivalent to a X/G Patch.
A Tone is made up of a 3x Oscillator+Filter+Amplifier+LFO architecture (each of these is called a Partial).
Upper and Lower can be made of up to 4 Tones. Solo and Percussion are 1 Tone only

A Live Set is a collection of 4 Tones and Effects settings.
You can call 1 Live Set for Upper and 1 Live Set for Lower.

After selecting your Live Setting for Upper, for Lower, your Solo Tone and the Pecussion Tone you save them all as a Registration. It appears you can't layer the Percussion Tone here since the info says you can "only" stack 9 Tones (4 for Upper, 4 for Lower, 1 for Solo).
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

piaknowguy wrote:
Wow! Even with all the colours? ;-)
we can play keyboards well enough with eyes closed, yes? :D
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

Artemiy wrote:95% of responders to this thread never heard the Kronos or Jupiter-80. People here are, for the most part, just spec sheet masturbators :-)
Masturbating aside, I'd say that quite a lot of people know if a keyboard fits their needs or not, without hearing it. I know which car generally fits or doesn't fit my needs without trying it in first place.
Regardless how good something sounds, you can't compensate missing features with a good sound. Roland always made good sounding instruments (for the most part), but they always screw it up on the technical side.
The Jupiter seems to be made for live performers who make light splits and layers and don't need anything beyond what's already there. I don't see a wide potential user base for it and I doubt that this keyboard will be especially successful for Roland.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

[quote="mojkarma'] I doubt that this keyboard will be especially successful for Roland.[/quote]

agreed. im not too sure wat they were thinking either, but at least it has cool factor.
en76

Post by en76 »

No! I would purchase it to be a additional to my G. Do I need it right away -no. I haven't dig deep into my FG and I'm pretty satisfied already. All I need is those Supernatural sound on the JP-80 in my FG so I can use master down in one mix but I guess, its just massive and now my FG not sure if those Audio Tracks can now handle all together at once. LOL! well if I ever get to use all once...

Wish they should of just increase the FG polyphony. Seems that FG need with its power, I mean it would be the ideal.

anyways, I like this JP-80 and yes those sound is massive and awesome. Its already on my list now.
I just look at it as "ARX -80 and this should satisfy my need for the missing ARX-CARD we so desperately sometimes needed in our mix. Now, wonder who is going to demo this monster.
b3keys

Post by b3keys »

Howard Jones will be demoing at Messe Music Night Friday Evening!
ScoobyDoo555

Post by ScoobyDoo555 »

Why would I purchase an 80 over a G or Kronos?

Simple really. Korg are keeping disturbingly quiet about Kronos availability and price. By all accounts, one German distributor has been told not to divulge pricing.

Personally, whilst I think the Kronos is the machine to beat, it just isn't available. And I think there's underlying problems (aside from the Japanese logistics) in the supply.

This leaves the XF (LOL!!!) and the G. And I'm looking at a G (albeit an Ebay one).

The 80 simply doesn't offer what I need in a performance & studio synth. I've already got a V-Synth XT too, so aside from the VERY HQ sounds of the 80, there's nothing really new on the table. If I want HQ sounds (which tbh, sometimes just don't cut it in a live environment), I'll use my extensive plugin library.

So this all is why I would purchase an 80, but choose not to.

At this rate, I could be going for a G and an M3 - get the best of both worlds.

Shame, as the Kronos does look fantastic.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

yep, a lot of materials are made in the region that got wiped away in the tsunami. lots of mitigation plans to qualify substitute materials. sub-components might be assembled in the areas that are under controlled rolling blackouts in Japan. this means factories can not pump out the sub-assy's in the quantiites requested.

KorgJapan's site stated June availability or something a few weeks ago (2months delay, original launch April) but i think it's more going to be like September for the actual ramp-up... and i would expect bugs in the first 6months of production due to rushed substitute parts. i would stay away from the Kronos for one year unless someone qualified from Korg can prove me wrong.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

It looks somewhat interesting..
but im curious about a few things...

its said its 4 part and not 16 part
yet it has a midi player which i presume will play upto 16 parts so does that mean it is then 16 part multi timberal?

If yes how would that setup be accessed and saved
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

I'm going check it out when it's released for sure. I think my frontrunners at the moment are the Kronos and the JP-80 for my live gigs. I like the G a lot but it's a bit older and still expensive here in Australia (30-40% more that US at least). I think the Kronos would be a good laptop replacement but the JP-80 looks like it has a lot of grunt too. Gotta say we're spoiled for choice right now.

My thoughts so far:

Pros:

Sounds really good from what I've heard so far, the Synth sounds are good and the SN engine seems to live up to hype. Seems to have the right combination of high quality sounds.
76 keys
Heaps of polyphony. Howard Jones didn't seem to run out with his massive layers.
Good build quality.

Cons.

Lack of controllers. Have to play one, but 4 sliders for level only? Seems a step backwards.
Price. if its $4k US I dread to think what it will be here....
Not sure it should have been called a Jupiter.
en76

Post by en76 »

ok, after watching some of those demo video by scott and the video Dan posted, This JP-80 will be my ARX-80. This synth absolutely massive sounding and yes the 256 polyphony is exactly needed.

Man I wish again our 128 polyphony in the FG can be upgraded 256 polyphony. I tend to ran out when combining strings, pianos and other tones. I hope is something is upgradable such as switch out existing internal hardware in our G. I love my FG and wanna keep it as less gears as possible but again JP-80 is gonna be my ARX-80, another way of looking at it for my FG.
Abierto

Post by Abierto »

If i had enough money to buy one of those keyboards, i will go blinded to Korg Kronos. Probably now it is the most "innovative" Keyboard on the market. Well it's just a set of Korg VST and some new stuff, but it's a lot way better from a rompler like Fantom G and a Jupiter80! Jupiter80 could be "similar" to Kronos, but it''s not so much powerfull in layers and splits. and it doesn't have so much IFX. So Kronos win.