WAVE ROM of the Jupiter 80

Forum for JUPITER-80
Mystic38

Re: WAVE ROM of the Jupiter 80

Post by Mystic38 »

and we dont get it even when we get it ......since for one note most patches/tones are multiple tones/partials..

hmm... now funnily enough...since a "partial" is no longer a full tone ...will this now mean that a 3-partial tone is only one voice of polyphony?.. lol..

I seriously doubt it.. but it certainly supports the terminology police being out earlier in this project. :)
V-CeeOh wrote:The polyphony depends on processor load. I don't really believe we'll be able to get it most of the times ;-)
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

and we dont get it even when we get it ......since for one note most patches/tones are multiple tones/partials..
Don't see it as a problem. The Fantom G is 128 voices, most of the paches use more then 1 Tone and it's multi-timbral. I used my XP-50 as main keyboard for 7 years and it was only 64 voices. Yes, you have to dig into the sound engine not to fall short on polyphony but it would not be so fun otherwise ;-)
hmm... now funnily enough...since a "partial" is no longer a full tone ...will this now mean that a 3-partial tone is only one voice of polyphony?.. lol..

I seriously doubt it.. but it certainly supports the terminology police being out earlier in this project. :)
Actually, I find it very confortable. It takes me to the D-50 time when the most basic element was the Partial and you also had an Upper and Lower Tones that you could Split or Dual (Layer). The D-50 16-voices polyphony was only available if you used a single Tone (2 partials) in Whole mode.
I believe that using a single Partial with a PCM wave will get you the 256 voices. It won't be the same if the Partial uses VA. Anyway, 256 looks like a pretty good figure for 99% of the use.
afr

Post by afr »

Artemiy wrote:At very least, the lower, upper, solo and percussion parts should be on their own MIDI channels. Maybe the lower and upper parts would also break down into four channels each, one per tone. Gotta see the final specs
This aspect intrigues me greatly and it is essential in view of the use of J80 in the context of a recording together with a sequencing software.

There are more details on this?

thank you very much
Python

Post by Python »

Nothing has been verified yet, but I seriously doubt they will release anything that is only 10 part multi timbral and not 16. Even mu td-6 drumkit is 16 parts even though most people wouldn't use more than 1, just for the sake of all roland gear having drums on channel 10 as a standard...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Python wrote:Nothing has been verified yet, but I seriously doubt they will release anything that is only 10 part multi timbral and not 16. Even mu td-6 drumkit is 16 parts even though most people wouldn't use more than 1, just for the sake of all roland gear having drums on channel 10 as a standard...

A Wild guess...

Upper Part:
Partial1 - MIDI Channel1
Partial2 - MIDI Channel2
Partial3 - MIDI Channel3
Partial4 - MIDI Channel4

Lower Part:
Partial1 - MIDI Channel5
Partial2 - MIDI Channel6
Partial3 - MIDI Channel7
Partial4 - MIDI Channel8

Solo Part: - MIDI Channel9

Drums Part: - MIDI Channel10

Another Wild guess:
Upper Part: - Any MIDI Channel (1-16)
Lower Part: - Any MIDI Channel (1-16)
Solo Part: - Any MIDI Channel (1-16)
Drums Part: - Any MIDI Channel (1-16)

Let's really wait and see the specs...
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

I doubt that the J80 will be 16 part multitimbral. I don't even see a reason for it. It's a performance oriented keyboard. It's probably not dedicated to be the soundsource for complete arrangements.
So, it will either have just 4 parts which can be controlled via midi (percussion, live mode 1, live mode 2 and solo) or there will be ten parts (counting the partials inside of a live set).
I further suppose that any part, regardless if there will be 4 or 10, will communicate on any of the 16 available midi channels.

It's interesting to mention, that the J80 can't play SMF but only audio. I guess the reason for this is exactly the fact that the J80 doesn't have 16 parts and because of that, playing a SMF file would often be erroneous.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

mojkarma wrote:I doubt that the J80 will be 16 part multitimbral. I don't even see a reason for it. It's a performance oriented keyboard. It's probably not dedicated to be the soundsource for complete arrangements.
So, it will either have just 4 parts which can be controlled via midi (percussion, live mode 1, live mode 2 and solo) or there will be ten parts (counting the partials inside of a live set).
I further suppose that any part, regardless if there will be 4 or 10, will communicate on any of the 16 available midi channels.

It's interesting to mention, that the J80 can't play SMF but only audio. I guess the reason for this is exactly the fact that the J80 doesn't have 16 parts and because of that, playing a SMF file would often be erroneous.
Could be... But don't forget what Roland did that in The Junos Di and Gi and in The Gaia SH-01, I mean, having Midi controllable 16 part multi-timbral...

Just to confuse the things a little, don't forget a thing that Roland guys said...
The Solo and the Drums Parts are mutually exclusive, I mean, not accessible at the same time. Is just one or the other... Remember the 27 "Oscijators"? Upper [(3 OSC x 4 Partials)+ Lower (3 OSC x 4 Partials)]= 24 + Solo or Drums(3 OSC x 1 Partial)= 27... If they are not accessible from the front panel, does it make any sense that they are from external MIDI ? hum... Don't think so...
;-)
Anyway...Like I said, let's wait for Roland to give us some light on this (and other) doubts soon.
Cheers,

So the
secret Roland agent

Post by secret Roland agent »

This is me catching a partial wave!