WAVE ROM of the Jupiter 80

Forum for JUPITER-80
apex

WAVE ROM of the Jupiter 80

Post by apex »

Does anyone know anything about the wave ROM on this board? more specifically, how large it is in MB and how many samples there are in total?
vxfan

Re: WAVE ROM of the Jupiter 80

Post by vxfan »

The Brochure says over 350 waves.
Here is the link:
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pd ... ochure.pdf
vladuca

Post by vladuca »

There is no "wave rom" as in what is in the Fantom-G. It's using exclusively SuperNATURAL-based sound engines with multiple behavior modeling algorithms. The 350 PCM waves mentioned are additional PCM waves along with the modeled vintage waves in the analog modeling section.
keysme

Post by keysme »

PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) is the primary way analog audio signals are converted into digital form by taking samples of the waveforms from 8 to 192 thousand times per second (8 to 192 kHz) and recording each sample as a digital number from 8 to 24 bits long. PCM data are unprocessed digital audio samples.

From what Vince LaDuca is saying the Jupiter-80 has 350 PCM waves that are separate and in addition to the modeling waves that drive the virtual analog synth section. My understanding is that Roland is using a new form of PCM data that is different from what is typically found on keyboards such as the Fantom G. The PCM data is possibly similar (or perhaps the same) as what's found on the V-Piano. Roland appears to now be moving beyond the "old technology" .wav rom producing process and are entering a new frontier of "adaptive modeling" PCM technology going forward it seems. Out with the old... in with the new I guess. :)

With this seeming breakthrough in technology it has brought a new dimension of "realism" to the forefront and the prospects are really exciting as we have seen and heard. Roland has the opportunity to "surpass" the other Big Two with this achievement too in my opinion. The Jupiter-80 appears to now be the keyboard to beat, since the Yammie Motif XF can't really compare sound quality wise if you ask me and the Korg Kronos appears inferior (in overall sound quality) as well too perhaps. We'll know more about the Kronos once Korg (if Korg) ever produces anymore professional demos that would highlight it in such a way that we could better determine its overall sound prowess. Korg is currently laying low (holding back) regarding the Kronos if you ask me. The demos are few and far between and some of their newer website demos don't seem to put the Kronos in the best light possible, in my opinion. Some of the audio demos of the Kronos actually sound kind of cheap if you ask me. Which probably pleases Roland to no end, right? ;)

Okay, so now we have what appears to be an excellent sounding 76 key Jupiter-80 but -- surprise surprise -- it has NO sequencer, NO sampler and NO expansion capability.

What I am hoping (along with possibly "thousands" of other keyboardists worldwide) is that Roland will 'expand' this technology and use it on their next Workstation keyboard -- that HAS a sequencer and HAS a Sampler and that will HAVE expansion capability. :) We might have to pay an arm and leg for it but if it sounds as good as what we're hearing from the Jupiter-80 it may well be worth it. Who knows, maybe Roland will be extra gracious and release it at a special introductory price like they did with the Fantom G?? A $4,599.00 price tag is a lot better than a $5,199.00 price tag would otherwise be right? :) Maybe summer NAMM 2012?? We'll see..

Oops! Sorry kenchan... I kinda overdid it again. ;) Hopefully what I wrote has been at least somewhat insightful... besides possibly being very boring. :D lol
apex

Post by apex »

keysme wrote:PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) is the primary way analog audio signals are converted into digital form by taking samples of the waveforms from 8 to 192 thousand times per second (8 to 192 kHz) and recording each sample as a digital number from 8 to 24 bits long. PCM data are unprocessed digital audio samples.

From what Vince Laduca is saying the Jupiter-80 has 350 PCM waves that are separate and in addition to the modeling waves that drive the virtual analog synth section. My understanding is that Roland is using a new form of PCM data that is different from what is typically found on keyboards such as the Fantom G. The PCM data is possibly similar (or perhaps the same) as what's found on the V-Piano. Roland appears to now be moving beyond the "old technology" .wav rom producing process and are entering a new frontier of "adaptive modeling" PCM technology going forward it seems. Out with the old... in with the new I guess. :)

With this seeming breakthrough in technology it has brought a new dimension of "realism" to the forefront and the prospects are really exciting as we have seen and heard. Roland has the opportunity to "surpass" the other Big Two with this achievement too in my opinion. The Jupiter-80 appears to now be the keyboard to beat, since the Yammie Motif XF can't really compare sound quality wise if you ask me and the Korg Kronos appears inferior (in overall sound quality) as well too perhaps. We'll know more about the Kronos once Korg (if Korg) ever produces anymore professional demos that would highlight it in such a way that we could better determine its overall sound prowess. Korg is currently laying low (holding back) regarding the Kronos if you ask me. The demos are few and far between and some of their newer website demos don't seem to put the Kronos in the best light possible, in my opinion. Some of the audio demos of the Kronos actually sound kind of cheap if you ask me. Which probably pleases Roland to no end, right? ;)

Okay, so now we have what appears to be an excellent sounding 76 key Jupiter-80 but -- surprise surprise -- it has NO sequencer, NO sampler and NO expansion capability.

What I am hoping (along with possibly "thousands" of other keyboardists worldwide) is that Roland will 'expand' this technology and use it on their next Workstation keyboard -- that HAS a sequencer and HAS a Sampler and that will HAVE expansion capability. :) We might have to pay an arm and leg for it but if it sounds as good as what we're hearing from the Jupiter-80 it may well be worth it. Who knows, maybe Roland will be extra gracious and release it at a special introductory price like they did with the Fantom G?? A $4,599.00 price tag is a lot better than a $5,199.00 price tag would otherwise be right? :) Maybe summer NAMM 2012?? We'll see..

Oops! Sorry kenchan... I kinda overdid it again. ;) Hopefully what I wrote has been at least somewhat insightful... besides possibly being very boring. :D lol
why is everyone CRYING about expansion in this board?????!?!?!?!?!?! you don't even know that it needs expansion. Just something to complain about...
Python

Post by Python »

How does everybody know that there is no sampling on board?
I've been looking extensively at the board, and I haven't seen any official mention of that anywhere?
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

they also do not say that the JP-80 does not recite jokes from ROM.. but i dont think it does..

Joking asisde, If they get around to tell you thay "Hey!!, you can do a split or a layer" ....(just like every other board over $49 in the market) then i kinda think they would mention sampling as this is obviously a major feature
Python wrote:How does everybody know that there is no sampling on board?
I've been looking extensively at the board, and I haven't seen any official mention of that anywhere?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

There is no sampling indeed, confirmed by engineers.
Python

Post by Python »

Since I read somewhere (in here?) that it's 4 part multi-timbral, does that mean I can acces 4 sounds at a time from the sequencer in my DAW or my Workstation, or is this sort operation completely shut down?
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Think in reality its 10 parts multi timberal

upper is 4 parts
lower is 4 parts
then you have a solo part
and a percussion part
Python

Post by Python »

Maybe your right... But does that necessarily mean that it'll accept a seperate midi input for each part?
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

I think its silly to assume it wont accept midi
its part of the standard

my guess is it will accept all 16 midi channels and as a standard lower will be ch 1-4 and upper is 5-8 with solo being 9 and percussion/drums being 10.

and that you will be able to set or change these channel assignments at any time and these setting will be saved as part of the registration process.

Just like LIVE mode on the G..
you only have 8 channels which could also be seen as upper and lower
you also have channel 9 which could be SOLO
and 10 is drums
In this you are not locked to these midi channels and they can be re-assigned.

you will also from what i gather be able to set the same for external controlled gear.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

No multitimbral MIDI with 256 note polyphony? Yeah, right! LOL
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

At very least, the lower, upper, solo and percussion parts should be on their own MIDI channels. Maybe the lower and upper parts would also break down into four channels each, one per tone. Gotta see the final specs
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I think its silly to assume it wont accept midi
its part of the standard
Agree, the MIDI In /Out/Thru are ther for obvious reasons.
At very least, the lower, upper, solo and percussion parts should be on their own MIDI channels.
Most certainly.
Maybe the lower and upper parts would also break down into four channels each, one per tone. Gotta see the final specs
Don't bealive that. It just makes no sense for me to say it's 4 Parts in the specs when it's more. But we'll wait and see.
No multitimbral MIDI with 256 note polyphony? Yeah, right! LOL
The polyphony depends on processor load. I don't really believe we'll be able to get it most of the times ;-)