Important Video: Explanation of JP Sound Engine

Forum for JUPITER-80
Dan Krisher

Important Video: Explanation of JP Sound Engine

Post by Dan Krisher »

This video was shot at Winter NAMM and features the head engineer of our R&D team explaining the Jupiter sound engine. Someone in an earlier thread asked "how many waveforms are there?". Here is what you need to keep clear about the Jupiter 80:

The acoustic sounds are generated from SuperNATURAL and Behavior Modeling Technologies. The synthesizer sounds can be generated using SuperNATURAL controlled analog modeling, or, from SuperNATURAL controlled PCM waveforms of which there are 350. This gives you the raw data of classic synths from the past.

Jupiter 80 Behavior Modeling & Sound Engine Explained (with examples of acoustic tones including violin, trumpet, bass and acoustic guitar)

http://bcove.me/c4pf64ti

Here's further example of layering sounds together.

http://bcove.me/1x11n66r
Leh173

Re: Important Video: Explanation of JP Sound Engine

Post by Leh173 »

One thing that seems unclear to me is the oscillators in the analog style section. Art says they use sampled PCM waveforms but I'm sure I read or saw a video this monring from someone at Roland saying it's a VA (seen a lot this morning so I could be confused). The graphics in brochure for the synth section clearly show various waveform shapes and a PCM waveform option with a number. Does this mean VA for the basic waveforms and also a choice of PCM waveform for the oscillators, or are the basic waveforms simple PCM samples as well? Can we clear up exactly what the Analogue style engine is?

EDIT: ha! It was this post by Dan I saw analogue modelling... to much info this morning....
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

@Dan:

Really awesome videos, thanks for posting!

@Leh173:

Actually they might have been changes since when I worked on the development prototype, so don't take my word for that. I can already see that there is more to "analog modeling" than just waveforms there. We need to see the user manual to see what's what.
en76

Post by en76 »

wow! awesome! This thing got s..o..u..l..!
vladuca

Post by vladuca »

Hi -
Vince here...

The "analog" side's core waveforms in the JP-80 are modeled vintage waveforms with the addition of the 300+ PCMs waves from our digital synths. This adds more sonic possibilites.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Thanks for that info Vince. It's also been mentioned that the analogue synth engine is the same as the Gaia. Is this the case or is the Jupiter-80's a new one, or based on any previous Roland VA?
vladuca

Post by vladuca »

In no way is it a GAIA engine. All new! The only similarity is the interface, and the 3-tone (now called partial) config - per tone (that was a bit confusing...). Also notice the UNISON mode from the JP-8! I don't have time to post the screenshots here as of yet, but they live somewhere online :-)

If you do the math, you can build a mega synth registration consisting of 27 oscillators per note. Upper 4 tones x3 partials=12 OSC (each with their own FILTER/AMP/LFO) then double that when you add Lower, then 3 more partials in the solo part= 27! Then crank up UNISON mode, and it could get out of control!
IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo »

Is this "Behavior Modeling Technology" a new form/improvement from the V-Synth GT AP-Synthesis??

I was asking myself this when I first saw these videos.

Can someone answer me? Hopefully Artemiy... =D
aster

Post by aster »

Wow Dan has appeared ! Dan what about posting an update in Fantom G thread for us frustrated G owners ....

Art sorry don't mean to h jack the thread.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Some Screenshots-

vox

Post by vox »

There is something REALLY disturbing in the "Synth Tone Edit" screenshot.

In the filter section, the filter can be either Lowpass, Highpass, etc... But one of the feature that made the JP8 very exiting by its time (besides OSC cross modulation) was the dual HPF + LPF filter, where the OSC's mix is passing through the 6db/Oct highpass AND the 12 or 24db/Oct lowpass.

I hope that this is hidden in the "PRO EDIT" tab we can see in the upper/right part of the screenshot. Or even it could be done by using a MFX, but at the expense of another effect - but this wouldn't be very satisfying.

PS: On your video demonstrating a JP8, at 2:40 the two envelope generators are not used as TVA for OSC1 and OSC2 (this would have been quite ridiculous, tbh.) ENV1 or ENV2 can be used as envelope for the filter (ENV1/ENV2 switch in the VCF section along with the MOD fader to control the amount of filter modulation) while ENV2 is used in conjunction of the LVL fader in the VCA section. ENV1/ENV2 can even be used to modulate OSC1/OSC2 pitch.
wudsiba

Post by wudsiba »

When I first sterted reading about this thing a few days ago, I didn't think we were in for anything new. I'm so happy I was wrong. I, for one, love the direction Roland has taken. i love that you can create music with computers, but there's nothing like having an instrument you can touch. Instead of bringing instruments to the computer, they bring the computer to the instrument. That violin sounds incedable... The right side of this machine screams for a programer, by the way.
vladuca

Post by vladuca »

Is this "Behavior Modeling Technology" a new form/improvement from the V-Synth GT AP-Synthesis??
In a way, AP was Behavior Modeling in it's infancy.

BM is currently hardwired to the particular SuperNATURAL tone, but there are tones labeled AP-XXXX where the programmers started to "mix it up" for some "out there" textures. I've asked for the ability in a future upgrade (V2 maybe?) to be able to freely assign any acoustic BH algorithms to a synth tone. Right now, the engineers are focused on shipping on-time, and bug free before they even think about a wish list for V2!
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I've asked for the ability in a future upgrade (V2 maybe?) to be able to freely assign any acoustic BH algorithms to a synth tone.
Thanks for the info Vince. That's exactly what I was wondering about. I'm glad you guys though about it since that will bring really interenting expression capabilities.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Well,
I am very, very impressed with the acoustic sounds presented by the two guys from Roland JP and also by the the sonicstate preview video with Howard Jones.. i think those are the better of the set out there so far.. no reflection btw on Scott Tibbs who does great work, but he would have done just a great a job on those songs with the FG! :)

Now, given that Scott presented a real life case of the use of the JP-80, and was using a laptop, the inclusion of a simple "playback sequencer" for midi files from a USB stick would have been a great idea.. no need for recording or editing capabilities, just file transport controls, part(channel) mix, part mute etc would have been great... add set list management and its golden.