Important Video: Explanation of JP Sound Engine

Forum for JUPITER-80
kenchan

Re: Important Video: Explanation of JP Sound Engine

Post by kenchan »

is the the same dan krisher that abandoned us in the FantomG forum?

why should we listen to you now again? :D
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

kenchan wrote:is the the same dan krisher that abandoned us in the FantomG forum?

No, no, it's another Dan Krisher! Roland US has several Dan Krishers. This one is version 2.0 BTW.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

Artemiy wrote:
kenchan wrote:is the the same dan krisher that abandoned us in the FantomG forum?

No, no, it's another Dan Krisher! Roland US has several Dan Krishers. This one is version 2.0 BTW.
oh ok then. just checking!
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

@ Vince, thanks for clearing all that up about the VA engine. Sounds quite encouraging! If it's better than my JP-8K I'll be very happy as I love that one already.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Where were the terminology police during this development?..

Or is it just me?.. lol.. nope, even Howard Jones was struggling.

I dont even know what the top level organisation is.... it consists of two "live set" plus a solo and drums.. so its really a performance ..right?
A "tone" that really is a patch..
A "partial" that really is a tone..
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Wombat was on vacation so couldn't help them fix the terminology :-)

Live set is 4 tones, tone is 3 partials (in the analog section).

In the old Fantom speak, tone is a patch, partial is a tone.
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

The more videos I see of the J-80, the more I like it.
It's really a big step forward, and I can't wait to see this technology released in the package of a workstation (which hopefully Roland will release at some point in the near future?).

I'm still not sure if I have the correct picture of the Supernatural instruments in mind: the basic sound is sampled, and playing techniques like vibrato, portamento etc are modeled and triggered by the way you play (or manipulate a controller), right?
How about the different dynamics of instruments: the sound can change radically if you go from pp to ff on an instrument like the trumpet.
So, let's take the trumpet as an example: are different velocity layers sampled with the transition between those layers handled by the modeling chip, or is the change in dynamics and the corresponding sound entirely handled by a modeling technique, or is it simpy one basic sample with a filter opening or closing to mimick the change in timbre due to different dynamics?
vladuca

Post by vladuca »

Jan_nl wrote:The more I videos I see of the J-80, the more I like it.
It's really a big step forward, and I can't wait to see this technology released in the package of a workstation (which hopefully Roland will release at some point in the near future?).

I'm still not sure if I have the correct picture of the Supernatural instruments in mind: the basic sound is sampled, and playing techniques like vibrato, portamento etc are modeled and triggered by the way you play (or manipulate a controller), right?
How about the different dynamics of instruments: the sound can change radically if you go from pp to ff on an instrument like the trumpet.
So, let's take the trumpet as an example: are different velocity layers sampled with the transition between those layers handled by the modeling chip, or is the change in dynamics and the corresponding sound entirely handled by a modeling technique, or is it simpy one basic sample with a filter opening or closing to mimick the change in timbre due to different dynamics?
Here's the tech page on SuperNATURAL piano:

http://www.rolandus.com/supernatural

I'm going to be working on expanding this page to now include what the JP-80 does, but this is the core concept of organic tonal changes in pitch and dynamics (minus the 88-key multi-sample part as that applies to the piano).
aster

Post by aster »

Mr. Krisher can you now start working on the video for Fantom G OS update and New ARX cards that we will see at Summer NAMM !

Thanks in anticipation.

Aster - one of the many roland customers that paid at least euro2500 to buy the Fantom G expecting at least a mature OS update, useable leading edge sounds and ARX cards...and please do not tell me I will now find all this and more in the Jupiter 80

Many thanks !
Sorry artemiy I am posting in this thread in the off chance that Dan might actually reads it and respond...
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Many thanks !
Sorry artemiy I am posting in this thread in the off chance that Dan might actually reads it and respond...
Exactly which Dan do you want to respond? ;-)
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

vladuca wrote:Here's the tech page on SuperNATURAL piano:

http://www.rolandus.com/go/supernatural

I'm going to be working on expanding this page to now include what the JP-80 does, but this is the core concept of organic tonal changes in pitch and dynamics (minus the 88-key multi-sample part as that applies to the piano).
Thanks for your reply.
The link you gave me led to a non-existing webpage, but I think I managed to find the webpage you probably meant to point to: http://www.rolandus.com/go/supernatural ... atural.php
vladuca

Post by vladuca »

The link you gave me led to a non-existing webpage,
Crap! Re-directs always get me in trouble...

original fixed, but that one will work as well. Thanks for the temp fix!
b3keys

Post by b3keys »

Does the JP-80 have EP sounds? EPs are used by so many, but I haven't heard any demos of these sounds.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

There's an E.PIANO button on it right next to piano, so yes I'd say. I'd like to hear a demo of the keyboard only sounds, ie Piano, E.Piano, Organ, Clavinets etc plus more of the synth engine in some of these videos. Those are the sounds I'd use mostly from any keyboard for live.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

b3keys wrote:Does the JP-80 have EP sounds? EPs are used by so many, but I haven't heard any demos of these sounds.
Actually I didn't see any Organ Demos either.
JUP-80 has the virtual ToneWheel technology and would be nice to see it in action, despite the other areas being the most interesting ones.

Anyone seen an organ demo yet?