A couple interface questions.

Forum for JUPITER-80
dbijoux

A couple interface questions.

Post by dbijoux »

Having watched all the recent demos I haven't noticed much 'interaction' with the Jupiter-80. Apart from a few patch changes, some part mixing here and there, I'm left with a few questions.

If you look at the pictures below,

There are a lot of rotary controllers, even in the tone edit screen. I wonder, because these are the bane of my experience with software/mouse, how well do these work on the Jupiter touchscreen?

I have a slight suspicion, with their slight size, the values might actually be changed using the jog-dial.

Is the touchscreen multi-touch like the iPad? Seeing the four generic knobs below the screen makes me really wonder just how these will actually work.

I think we will see interfaces that break the mold someday, but so far I've yet to be impressed. That's not a shot at Roland but developers in general.

After the Fantom's false starts, did Roland get it right this time around?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: A couple interface questions.

Post by Artemiy »

I have a slight suspicion, with their slight size, the values might actually be changed using the jog-dial.
You tap on the parameter, then adjust with the value dial. It's pretty easy to do with two hands (left on the display, right for the dial) when you need to do a lot of edits. One hand on the edits, second on the keys, also convenient.

The problem with dragging up/down or left/right on the touchscreen is the lack of precision plus the fact that your finger obstructs the value display. I am telling you as an avid iPad user.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Curious question regarding sound development on the 80

are patches developed as 4 parts and then registered(saved)

or is it a 2 stage process where there is a single mode to create the individual parts save them,
then go to your 4 part editor and pull in those parts and then register?
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Well I can't say I'm surprised. A bit disappointed that there is no multi-touch or something a little more advanced than finger-mouse-button-selector.

Is there any interaction? Virtual Sliders? B3 is out of the question?

Artemiy, on the iPad note, how are you getting on with that? Are you inferring the MS-20 app is difficult to operate as well? IMO, some things just don't translate well to a screen.

Roland has a unique opportunity to set the bar for touchscreen. Since they claim they aren't emulating boards of the past, unlike Korg, there is no reason to emulate knobs at all.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

@dbijoux

Multi-touch is surely the best control on a screen, but since it's not a substitute for a real knob/button/slider, I recon a "point and adjust" method on the JP-80 will work great anyway. Especially since the last touched parameter will always be on the value dial - no need to reach out and find that control again to be able to adjust it.

In any case I haven't worked with a production JP-80 and have no idea about how it's touchscreen functions. But on the V-Synth series you could drag a parameter up/down or left/right to adjust it, so they could have at least done the same here.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Of course, it's a compromise and the point-touch-adjust method is one answer. I can even see a pointer-pinky finger collaboration working out quite well.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

as an ipad user the last thing i want is all editing to be done on the touchscreen.

As you can see from the kronos video, where there is a much larger screen, even the experts doing the demo need to peer and peck at overly small parameter/labels.. so hitting a touchscreen button to select and the jog dial to vary is a good approach IMO.. arew there perhaps the l/r/u/d around the jog dial to also navigate acround the screen a la FG?..
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Wow, as an iPad user? You don't want to use the touchscreen!? The last thing? You even want D-pad buttons to navigate?

That's pretty heavy and I actually took a step back in surprise.

But hey, I totally agree. Counting button pushes eventually becomes second nature; like an old Contra code. That said, I think punching the touchscreen should be a little faster depending on how responsive it is.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

there are many ipad apps that have rediculously small buttons so that you select the wrong item, or you cannot control a parameter without obscuring your vision, or you are unable to exactly select the parameter value you desire.. even using the browser you can easily hit the wrong link due to the size of the font..

so, like i said, being able to select a parameter for adjustment without having a microscope is a big plus.. and of course if you are adjusting adjacent parameters then navigation buttons around the jog dial a la fantom G is much quicker.... personally i would have liked to see the touchscreen select parameters in sets of four and use the knobs below the screen... there are many times i wish to alter two values at once.
dbijoux wrote:Wow, as an iPad user? You don't want to use the touchscreen!? The last thing? You even want D-pad buttons to navigate?

That's pretty heavy and I actually took a step back in surprise.

But hey, I totally agree. Counting button pushes eventually becomes second nature; like an old Contra code. That said, I think punching the touchscreen should be a little faster depending on how responsive it is.