J80 Price - Ouch!

Forum for JUPITER-80
Mystic38

Re: J80 Price - Ouch!

Post by Mystic38 »

the only thing they have in common is a $3500 price tag.... Good instruments that produce great sound have their own price tag.. this is why some people pay $100,000 for a piano.

@mojkarma,
if you dont like my opinions then feel free to keep your own bias and opinion, but petty insults?.. oh please..lol.
I have stated that I would not buy the JP80 due to lack of a sequencer (important to me for live play) but I dont sit here, whine on about it and deride the JP80... Buy/dont buy the the JP80 or not i do not give a fig... but your attitude of constantly deriding a synth WHEN YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE is truly amusing.. and simply positions you to have a closed mind.

FYI the forum is for open discussion, if you dont like what i say, and cannot accept that i am entitled to my own opinion then ignore me... but grow up and let go of the insult crap ok?
delirium wrote:
PauloF wrote: Terminologies apart, for me it is not logical to compare different things, if you are comparing functions, but if you are just looking at the price, I do understand why you are comparing them... as the Kronos "seems" to have much more for the same price tag.
what are you talking about? both are digital instruments producing sounds, right?
It's perfectly legitimate to compare them.
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

This is definitely proving to be a controversial keyboard and the buzz is not restricted to Roland Clan ;)

Many have made the compelling argument that the JP80 is a performance keyboard; that it is not meant for production as is a workstation. That IS a valid argument. But that being said, for the PRICE, what are you getting? I would also ask what is the problem with wanting an instrument that does a lot more for less money and still sounds great? If indeed Roland is targeting this instrument for a niche market they will be successful provided the JP80 proves to be what people expect it to be and sound great with efficient ergonomics and a UI that works for live performance.

But as a performance synthesizer I do not sense that the JP80 really is any "better" than the V-Synth GT. SuperNATURAL seems to be the big thing that everyone is talking about. Cool, but, that was ALSO the big thing on the Fantom G and we know that Roland simply did not deliver. Now we are talking about a performance synth with a closed architecture, fewer features even than other performance synths including Roland's own V-Synth - at least in terms of creating wholly original, never heard before patches.

BTW, and I cannot recall if it was this thread or another thread on the JP80 subforum, but someone mentioned Kronos is derived from OASYS. That is not a true statement. The M3 is derived or as Korg put it "distilled from OASYS." The Kronos is actually an enhanced OASYS.

Back to the JP80. I think we are all doing a lot of conjecturing at this point and the real proof will be coming from people who have had the chance to play the JP80. At its price point though, I do not think this will be in many music stores except in the largest cities or the largest retailers such as Sam Ash, Sweetwater, and MF. Even if it IS widely available though, given that it is a niche product - and nothing at all wrong with that - can we trust any reviews based upon a few hours at a Guitar Center or Sam Ash? Obviously the reviews will be better than our conjecture but the 100 page manual at least gives us a clue as to what to expect from this instrument in terms of workflow for the live performer.

This may seem tangential but please bear with me on one more point? Of the big four keyboard makers: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, and Kurzweil, it is Yamaha that has the strongest brand name. In the city where I live, Yamaha is really the big thing. At the local Guitar Center, the vast majority of keyboards sold there are Yamahas. Everything from the XF to PSRs are there. There is/was ONE Fantom G, ONE M3. Yamaha also has the advantage of high user visibility. Many HUGE acts use them and even in Yamaha's demos they state that each succeeding Motif builds upon the preceding iteration. Yamaha can do this because it has a strong user base among these big acts. Compare the number of Motifs for instance to the number of Fantoms you see in live performances from top acts. Yamaha is a marketing machine of a company. The trick for Roland and the Jupiter will be to make an in road with these acts and get that visibility. Ironically, the big acts can easily afford a TON of Jupiter 80s but will THEY bite? Time will tell.

Churches are another huge market and again it seems that Yamaha has made huge in roads in them. In the Eastern Orthodox Church we do not use instruments (everything is chanted a capella) but I have been to weddings, etc. in protestant churches all over the the US and the majority of them use... Yamaha. I would be really surprised to see a Jupiter 80 in these churches - even the churches that do what we Orthodox call "rock and roll" worship.

The JP80 may well be a GREAT instrument for live players and I would even argue that it could find a home in studios as well. But the price point may be the big ouch for Roland - hence the purpose of this thread. I understand that the JP80 has been released in Japan so, if this release is like Kronos, we should start seeing and hearing the JP80 in a few weeks.

It will be interesting to see where this thread goes from then on.

To those buying a JP80 I will repeat what I stated in an earlier thread that I know you will make great music and at the end of the day, if it suits YOUR needs then that is really what matters.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Vlad_77 wrote:But as a performance synthesizer I do not sense that the JP80 really is any "better" than the V-Synth GT. SuperNATURAL seems to be the big thing that everyone is talking about. Cool, but, that was ALSO the big thing on the Fantom G and we know that Roland simply did not deliver. Now we are talking about a performance synth with a closed architecture, fewer features even than other performance synths including Roland's own V-Synth - at least in terms of creating wholly original, never heard before patches.
Except that V Synth only had 32 voice polyphony and wasn't a very friendly performance instrument. F-G ARX implementation was half baked & expensive with a limited appeal. The new JP gives us a brand new touch interface with new controls (tone blender), 256 voice VA synth plus all the acoustic stuff without having to buy any expensive add on cards.

I'll agree with you on Yamaha really big here in Texas but there are plenty of Roland products on display in all my local GC stores. Pretty much everything except V Synth. Personally speaking all the guys I know that play well paying gigs all play Yamaha. Yamaha seems to have the best support esp the guys at motifator and their programmers like Polich.
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

Ya, definitely it looks like polyphony and multitimbrality, plus simplification of the interface, are the major advantages of JP-80 over V-Synth. Plus a lot more APS options built-in.

What will have to wait (for me, at least) until I've got my hands on one is whether the relative paucity of physical control knobs and sliders is made up for by sufficient availability of same in the touch-screen interface, and logical organization of same from a performance standpoint.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Vlad_77 wrote:...

The JP80 may well be a GREAT instrument for live players and I would even argue that it could find a home in studios as well. But the price point may be the big ouch for Roland - hence the purpose of this thread. I understand that the JP80 has been released in Japan so, if this release is like Kronos, we should start seeing and hearing the JP80 in a few weeks.

It will be interesting to see where this thread goes from then on.

To those buying a JP80 I will repeat what I stated in an earlier thread that I know you will make great music and at the end of the day, if it suits YOUR needs then that is really what matters.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Totally Agree Vlad !!!