So who is the target market?

Forum for JUPITER-80
Mystic38

So who is the target market?

Post by Mystic38 »

Lets take sounds and sound quality OUT of the equation.. i think we can agree that the JP-80 *should* be able to hold its own in any company..

Lets also take price OUT of the equation.. for a "gigging musician" its an expensive upgrade of the Juno Stage...ok fine.

So, follow me here....if we assume that we all are satisfied with the soundset and price, and with Roland clearly stating that they are targetting the "gigging musician".... and as a lot of us are just that, so lets discuss

You, a gigging musician walks into a bar with ONE keyboard.. from a functionality perspective what must it do/look like.. ?
Mystic38

Re: So who is the target market?

Post by Mystic38 »

my 2c

1. Backing tracks
Roland clearly acknowledge the need for backing tracks, but since everyone and his grandmother own an iPod, providing wav/mp3 playback is really at the "whoop-di-doo" level to me.. its the one thing that is a MUST HAVE for me is at least a MIDI playback sequencer.. I do not need a workstation to play out.. but i must be able to control mix/mute of backing parts.

2. Click out
I do not see a provision for this.. i see extra analog outs, but if that means i need to lose one of 4 parts to simply provide a click that isnt cool... ( i mean why on earth metronome click cannot be directed to an aux out is beyond me)
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

well first off, if one is a gigging musician, he/she better know how to play an instrument! :D
en76

Post by en76 »

True that! I will be more consume with playing this JP-80. I love the idea but who knows, maybe the next line of JP will have those other things they need. For the main purpose of this is exactly what it originally suppose to be.
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

I’m a traditional musician and from what I can see, Roland has done an outstanding job with the Jupiter-80. Judging from the videos it looks like it will be able to fulfill the needs of modern day traditional musician. And that is who I believe they made it for, traditional musicians that play the keys way more than they tweak parameters, twist knobs, thump pads, play with arpeggios and automatic music creation features etc.

The Jupiter-80 is an excellent choice for a person (such as myself) that plays classical, jazz, gospel, rock etc in the traditional way.

But I think it will be beneficial to mention what I don’t want as well (if I am out of line for this thread just say so and I will edit it). When I perform on stage, I do not want my keyboard to be chock-full of knobs, I think the Fantom series sets a good limit for knobs and slider and I think the Jupiter-80’s touch screen will do an excellent job at streamlining all the necessary functions and placing them into a very convenient and practical interface.

Also, I don’t mind a synth with deep advanced features such as the V-synth. I do not put that in the same class as a Moog, Radias, Andromeda etc. It’s a tool for modern day, highly skilled musicians and sound designers.

I think Roland has captured the interest of their intended audience and as a traditional, seasoned and professional musician, I agree with their philosophy, applaud this move and look forward to future development in this direction.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Mebbe i should apologise for trying to have a worthwhile discussion here.. a discussion about the functional requirements in a keyboard from the views of the gigging musician who are the alleged target market..

@ en76
define "they".. define "main purpose"... that is what this thread was about... :)

@kenchan
looking forward in anticipation to your youtube video demonstrating prowess on full arrangements playing four instruments simultaneously.. :D

@ amazing one
lol, i dont think there is anyone in this forum who is the "dj" type but your points are worthwhile to note..just in case they are tempted to come out with a 25 key version..! :)
en76 wrote:True that! I will be more consume with playing this JP-80. I love the idea but who knows, maybe the next line of JP will have those other thing they need. For the main purpose of this is exactly what it originally suppose to be.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

Amazing one- nice post!

Mystic - Lol! :D hahaha
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Mystic38 wrote:@ amazing one
lol, i dont think there is anyone in this forum who is the "dj" type but your points are worthwhile to note..just in case they are tempted to come out with a 25 key version..! :)
I would not say anyone, Artemiy is a master DJ, with that said, I want to stress that it is not my intent to degrade any class of musician and I understand that both styles of music creation are arts that take lots of time, practice and dedication and I respect both.

But now that I think about it, you may be right for the most part as I have not seen the same type of whining about knobs (what’s this knob do?) or whining regarding how sound/music tweakers perceive the Jupiter’s legacy as I have on other forums.

So this is where the traditional musicians hangout huh, cool!

I’m surprised Artemiy does not have a cult following here though, he has some really cool music on the web!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmTM1TSH ... re=related

I like this one a lot and his beats are amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvY7SWBSF5A

If anything, Artemiy has clearly shown that Roland’s pro gear can fulfill the needs of traditional musicians and the DJ style musicians alike, you just have to know how to use it.

But I like the traditional way best!
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

It is nice to see that the Roland Clan Server has a sense of humor!

en76

Post by en76 »

I was agreeing on the previous posts. "They" those that want sampling, sequencing and etc in JP-80. "Main purpose" I was referring to Roland original intention when they came out with JP-8. Only till now with the technology are they able to fulfill its main purpose.
en76

Post by en76 »

Target market would be like me the "Supernatural" lovers. I know what your thinking!
Why spend $3500 grand when I can get one for a lot much cheaper on the street right! LOL!
well, GAS price too High. :(
srgebel

Post by srgebel »

im a gigging musician, althoughim sure everyone here is probably a far superior player to myself.
i play mostly simple 80s pop rock with the occasional ballad ability. i am blown away by the sounds
and love the ability to layer four sounds (which on my juno di i can only layer two into a performance)
but the price automatically takes me out of the running for one of these. i want a v synth, but again
that is out of my price range. i like the jupiter 80, but unless i hit the lottery, i wont ever get one.
and its not cause i dont want one.
ScoobyDoo555

Post by ScoobyDoo555 »

Mystic38 wrote:You, a gigging musician walks into a bar with ONE keyboard.. from a functionality perspective what must it do/look like.. ?
Probably look like the Kronos. Jupiter 80 looks interesting, but it doesn't do enough for my gigging requirements.
pianocomsabor

Post by pianocomsabor »

To all the eletronic aprgiator sequencer shiit retards out there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia_gLV1J ... re=related
theshinenz

Post by theshinenz »

Cant stand that sort of playing, I can appreciate the musical genius there but that jazzy stuff seems to go all over the place and yet nowhere at the same time, great player though. I'm def getting a Kronos, maybe add a j80 later if I can ever afford it :-(