So who is the target market?

Forum for JUPITER-80
Amazing One

Re: So who is the target market?

Post by Amazing One »

mojkarma wrote:
Amazing One wrote: Look, I can respect you wanting to support your coworker, but this is getting really pathetic. Unless you personally know everyone here, your claims concerning the absents of korg reps is unfounded. And this is the second time I have seen you jump in a thread and defend korg in a way that makes absolutely no sense at all…
Does it really matter if a korg/yamaha/kurz rep is here? I mean, I could imagine that somebody from them privately reads occasionally what's going on here, but I'm sure that nobody from them is so stupid to act as a child and troll this forum.
That means, I absolutely don't defend Korg. I defend the employees from any other company and don't believe that they try to market their product by talking bad here about Roland. As far as I can see, they have a lot to do on their own forums where they post on a regular basis.
Amazing One wrote:You korg guy’s calling someone a Roland rep on a Roland forum where one would expect enthusiastic potential consumers to talk about ROLAND GEAR, or even show support to the company, reeks of ulterior motives! There is suppose to be heavy talk about ROLAND here.
We do talk about roland gear, but we don't need to show any kind of support for the company. We gave them money, they give us a product. They don't make products because they have a fan base here. They make products because they want to make money. And we, the user, who give the money fell free to complain if we are not happy with the product or the way how Roland handles their products.

Amazing One wrote:Your perception regarding a given features function in relation to how you believe it should work is based on how you understand the information you possess, in turn, this creates a reality that is not perceived by those who possess more or less information than you. Or, it’s your opinion! Many felt that the Fantom-G worked just fine and were happy with it, maybe those people knew more than you concerning how Roland intended a given feature to work or maybe they knew less. But the fact that they were happy with the product means that they made good judgments when they purchased their gear.
Look, this topic is really the last one where I'd like to talk about concrete things regarding the Fantom G. Since you obviously don't own a Fantom G, just step aside and don't comment. When people are dissatisfied with the FG, it's certainly not because of the color of the buttons. There are much more serious things involved. And just because 100 people are happy with the FG as it is, doesn't mean that the other 100 people do something wrong or have to high expectations.
Amazing One wrote:And I did not visit the Jupiter-80 forum to talk about the Fantom-G. I have read more than enough negative, useless and unfounded rhetoric from the same few people in the G section to last a life time. I have absolutely no problem getting a Fantom-G to do everything I need it to do.
That's finally a good point you made at least. No, think twice, why is there such a negative rhetoric about a former but still actual product? Is it because it happens accidentally that just whiners and trolls joined this forum or maybe Roland didn't get their facts together when they designed the FG?
Could you by any chance understand that people who have an experience with the FG are suspicious about a new product from Roland?
NEXT!!!
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

if you wish to engage in "the life and ramblings of Amazing One" then please start your own thread as you have contributed nothing so far to this thread (mine)...so please stop threadjacking..that is impolite.

This was a serious thread for guys who play out (gig) and for them to discuss what their functional needs were... as I had a suspicion that while a large percentage of users have their needs covered, certainly not all were...and if data for (say) an os upgrade gets an improved feature set that can draw more customers then that is good for us, and good for Roland.

At the beginning i suggested to take sound quality and price of the JP-80 off the table for discussion..its a great synth and expensive..

So If you personally do not gig then please understand that you cannot possibly provide any worthwhile input to a thread for performance musicians and so any comment would be distractive and irrelevant...

So....assuming you do gig:

why not (briefly) state which bands you play in, what music styles and what types of venues...
do you use sampled instruments?.. backing tracks?.., provide interval music?..desire weighted keys?..do you play one part or several?.. how many band members?.. a drummer?..what type of setup do you use now?.. what are its limitations?..
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Mystic38 wrote:if you wish to engage in "the life and ramblings of Amazing One" then please start your own thread as you have contributed nothing so far to this thread (mine)...so please stop threadjacking..that is impolite.

This was a serious thread for guys who play out (gig) and for them to discuss what their functional needs were... as I had a suspicion that while a large percentage of users have their needs covered, certainly not all were...and if data for (say) an os upgrade gets an improved feature set that can draw more customers then that is good for us, and good for Roland.

At the beginning i suggested to take sound quality and price of the JP-80 off the table for discussion..its a great synth and expensive..

So If you personally do not gig then please understand that you cannot possibly provide any worthwhile input to a thread for performance musicians and so any comment would be distractive and irrelevant...

why not (briefly) state which bands you play in, what music styles and what types of venues...
do you use sampled instruments?.. backing tracks?.., provide interval music?..desire weighted keys?..do you play one part or several?.. how many band members?.. a drummer?..what type of setup do you use now?.. what are its limitations?..
Mystic38 is right !!
Let's concentrate on the Thread subject and leave the discussions to other threads.
en76

Post by en76 »

aside from sound quality and price....Then I guess, I wouldn't think of spending A dime on any cheap sound stuff to begin with.
I'm not even to a level of making any crappy keyboard sound good yet so am still needing a good sound quality keys to make me at least sound decent. Till I mastered my art and be more skillful like you guys playing live, then any keyboard will do but for now, I need such amazing instrument like these high ticket items to work for me.
Besides, I have hard time getting inspired by cheapo instrument anyways. That's why high end, big ticket items do inspires me a lot and keeps me passionate about music in general. I am more keen to sound then techniques for some reason but definitely willing to dive in more deeper like our good owner here and the likes too.
I guess, sound quality plus quality keyboards which I think Roland always known for will always earn my attention and wallet. I'm not into making money with music but just trying to communicate such emotion through music.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

i use to be in a copy band decades ago for fun and played at school and local venues pretty often.. carrying around lots of gear back to back was a MAJOR PITA. but watching my drummer carry his stuff, i shut up.

i think the JP80 is about the max size and weight i'd lug around for shows.

honestly speaking though, at 40lbs+ without weighed keybed is somewat dissappointing for the kind of music i play these days, but then again, JP80 is a synth with piano sounds rather than a digital piano with synth sounds. kind of a reverse approach from say nord's offerings.

i like this new variety we musicians have now. :)

not all of us keyboard players are pianists nor do we care to be pianists! i hope roland releases a 88key version JP888. too many eights! :D
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Mystic38 wrote:...So If you personally do not gig then please understand that you cannot possibly provide any worthwhile input to a thread for performance musicians and so any comment would be distractive and irrelevant...

Ok, it's my turn to answer those questions...

why not (briefly) state which bands you play in:
I used to play Bass and Lead Guitar in the Church and in some local Progressive and Hard-Rock bands in the Eighties (one of them very well known here...), but that is past. Actually I play only Keyboards on the PauloF's Band :-)

what music styles and what types of venues...
I play my own music only and in very small venues, like Art/cultural venues

do you use sampled instruments?
Well...Normally No, but almost all Patches made by me were built using samples (I actually sampled the original sounds, I'm not using commercial samples)

.. backing tracks?
Sometimes Yes, there is no other way when playing alone...

Provide interval music?
No

desire weighted keys?
Not particularly. It would be nice on Piano and Organ parts, but it's too heavy to transport...

do you play one part or several?
I don't know if I understood this one correctly...Several Parts. Normally up to 4 Parts

how many band members?
Just me :-)

a drummer?
My Drum Machine and my Fantom Xa (and sometimes my V-Synth), provide all my Drums

what type of setup do you use now?
- SonicCell: Pianos, EPs, Synths, Strings, Pads, Lead Guitars
- Fantom Xa: Basses, Strings, Pads, Organs, Acoustic and Lead Guitars, some Drums.
- V-Synth XT: Basses, Lead and Poly Synths, Bell/Mallet, all Arp sounds, some Drums
- VC-1 / D-50 (rarely): Organs, Synths, Bell/Mallet.
- DR-880: Main Drum Machine
- Softsynths, running from a Toshiba Laptop/ Windows 7 when gigging: NI's Massive: Arp sounds, special effects; NI's Pro-53: Lead Synths

what are its limitations?
Well... the main limitation is the my inability to play several parts at once without intensive programming and lot's of pedals to change the Patches/Performances on-the-fly.
What I miss is a more Performance oriented Keyboard, that could give me extra control of splits and Layers (the MIDI Controllers are superb, but not enough).

From what I heard, read and listen, the JP-80 seems to be a very good addition to my gear... let's try it and then decide what to do, provided the necessary €€ exists...

cheers
Paulo
ScoobyDoo555

Post by ScoobyDoo555 »

Mystic38 wrote:
I play in an 11-piece Funk Band (Funkatronic Love Commandos if you're interested! - we're on FB & Reverbnation!)
We tend to play the bigger venues purely because it's a challenge to fit us in a stage!! LOL! Predominantly outside venues, tents, weddings and festivals.
If we're not headlining, we're supporting.

I don't use weighted keys live for the simple reason that my weighted boards are too heavy (Roland A80 & Yamaha KX88) so they stay in the studio - I'm currently running a K2000 loaded up with samples (changed the floppy to an internal Zip drive) as the bottom board. This runs both MIDI & audio (the audio is my backup plan).
The MIDI runs to a MOTU 828mk2...... that's attached to a MacBook Pro running Mainstage..
The 828 has all of my outputs from mainstage and also the mic input for my Vocoder patch in Mainstage.
The vocoder is also controlled from a 2nd MIDI input - running off my Roland XP30.
This board also acts as my "lead" sounds.

As can be seen, I'm rather busy on the boards!

Limitations? The XP30 only has 32 songs - a real PITA (I was looking at replacing it with a Fantom G6)
Mainstage has been a tad flakey. Hence my backup of the K2000.

I'm looking at a Kronos (or if the price is too much, I'll go back to my idea of an M3 and Fantom G6) to replace the Mac (Mainstage issues are known to them, yet so far have not been fixed)

Dan
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

These days its just me and groovebox with a few loops. Its all improvised from there. :p
kday

Post by kday »

Amazing One wrote:
dbijoux wrote:I get the feeling you are on a mission to defend Roland and the Jupiter. An honorable quest to be sure, but do you really believe, after nearly 40yrs, they need the help? Furthermore, I have the distinct impression you think Roland really reads this site.

They don't.

At any rate, these long posts are becoming a bore.
On a mission to defend Roland and the Jupiter? Nope, Roland and the Jupiter are awesome! But that is not something I am intentionally setting out to do…
Amazing One!
This kinda seems like a contradiction a little.

"On a mission to defend Roland and the Jupiter? Nope, Roland and the Jupiter are awesome!"

He's not here to defend Roland or the unreleased Jupiter, but in his defense of both of them, we are to take his word that both the Roland Corp and the unreleased Jupiter are awesome!

The Amazing One says Roland Corp and the unreleased Jupiter are awesome!

This is how "Secret Roland Employee" No.9 would promote, which is nothing wrong with that though, if it were so happen to be true, it's just fun to see how a Roland employee would respond if he were to frequent the board as joe blowhole. They would be identical in their promotions of the company and latest product.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I don't sell Yamaha. I sell Roland...and Korg ...
I guess I can say Roland and the Jupiter are awsome ...erh... just like Korg and the Kronos are awsome.
...so... should I say it? or should I not? Will they stop beeing awsome if I say Yamaha's and Motif are great?

[... mmm but I like Roland and the Jupiter more soooo.... can I start a conspiracy here?]

:-)
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

why not (briefly) state...
Started playing guitar at 9 and piano around 13 when I found keyboards were my instruments. Had my first analog synth around 14... a Yamaha one that I still keep. Started sequencing in a pre-MIDI Roland MC-4. Then on a 1 MIDI track MSQ-100 and taping it all on a 4 track Fostex X-15. From there I've played on:
weddings, bars, birthdays, funerals (kiddin') and cover bands, supporting artists from solo to full big band (meaning bands with drums, percussion, guitars, bass, keyboards, wind, brass, and vocals), done my own songs, produced and played other people's s songs and sounds live and studio, been on TV, did radio comercials, had my own MIDI file company and ... stopped it all last year for reasons not worth mentioning here. I obviously keep playing my G and all my other suff on my home studio and look forward to hit the road again but not soon. But I guess some guys won't consider me a "real" keyboardist... go figure.

So, do I need a Jupiter-80? No. Would I buy it if I had money available? Yes. Why? For the pure joy of having a great synthesizer at hand.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

I cant argue with this!..
V-CeeOh wrote:
why not (briefly) state...
So, do I need a Jupiter-80? No. Would I buy it if I had money available? Yes. Why? For the pure joy of having a great synthesizer at hand.
My concern though is that even with a JP-80 sitting in my studio it would not be the board that i take out to play.. though it would likely occupy most of my creative (non-practice) time at home.

I need (at a minimum) a playback sequencer for occasional use of midi backing tracks... these are mostly light percussion, some bass and odd backing.. so setting a per part mix and part(s) mute are important. ...and obviously wav/mp3 wouldnt cut it when a random guest shows up with bongos and you need to mute percussion for a few tracks..

I had wanted a piano replacement for the RD700GX and so gone to the S70XS. This looked like a candidate for playing out and it got me close... nice piano (except the S6 samples), decent keybed, (lighter!) and a playback mixer for midi files (and setlist) but oh so convoluted o.s. and excrutiating to program and setup and, just like other boards, some flaws and one o.s. update short of needed functionality.. so i am back to the Fantom G6.

I do not wish to hop on a slippery slope of taking two boards out, or using a laptop so right now, i think the JP-80 seems to look great but even if i owned a JP-80 i would not gig with it...
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

So who is the target market..?

well with its extraordinary price its probably aimed at the professional and not the armature or enthusiast.
I mean if your making money and want something to give you a certain edge you will probably buy it.
if your on a limited budget and not making money your not likely to.
If this is the play it means less feedback on the negative side because professionals probably dont have the time to be digging to deep into a device because they are too busy playing it..
have said that, if you are a professional you probably want instant access to good presets..
Now we cannot comment on what the preset list is like since its not released.

where as if it was priced around $900 everyone would get one and then you would have people who dont have a clue how to use it complaining about the most idiotic things just because they dont understand or have the patience to figure out.
So at its new release its probably going to specialized in that way..
but in about 12 months it will start to become cheaper and start picking them up on ebay
but as we all know now from the G.. 12 months in reality is about the lifetime of a new product from roland because after that the sales peak drops and so does the support..
So in 12 months you will know exactly where its at and where its going to be for its lifetime.