So who is the target market?

Forum for JUPITER-80
en76

Re: So who is the target market?

Post by en76 »

Well, I'm a Hobbyist who loves to mess around with sound. Out of my range but what the hell, back to single life and sure can afford to get one. no more that itchy love thing but invest in some real love like this JP-80. I rather suffer the headache of reading the manuel then listening to bunch of excuses and unstable colorful beautiful sophisticated lovely XGF. LOL!
I know that this JP-80 won't disappoint my heart. In fact, I may get leied every time I will play this baby.
That is the beauty of living out here in HAwaii.
kday

Post by kday »

One thing I like about the "Amazing One" is you can clearly tell with your eyes closed that this guy is a full Roland employee.

His promotion of Roland products is evident on every line, and his Roland JP-80 promotion enthusiasm sounds like a written commercial. Everytime I read his statements I feel like I'm talking to a Roland salesman employee at NAMM. Which is understandable, when you know if the JP-80 don't sell well few could get their walking papers, their pink slips if Roland were to sustaining two consecutive synth sell failures.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

your comment has nothing to do with this thread, and incidently, if you are going to accuse anyone of being a retard it would be good if you could do so without spelling mistakes in 30% of your words..... :)
pianocomsabor wrote:To all the eletronic aprgiator sequencer shiit retards out there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia_gLV1J ... re=related
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Mystic38 wrote:your comment has nothing to do with this thread, and incidently, if you are going to accuse anyone of being a retard it would be good if you could do so without spelling mistakes in 30% of your words..... :)
pianocomsabor wrote:To all the eletronic aprgiator sequencer shiit retards out there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia_gLV1J ... re=related
Mystic38 already answered you...but just to say that you were completely out Topic and out of scope...what these two pieces of Jazz demo has to do with Arpeggiators??? because those demos are being done using a Korg Kronos?? is that it? LoL .Those could be done using almost any capable board of any brand!!
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Take it easy there pianocomsabor!

There are many ways to produce music and sound, we all have our own perspective and opinions but no one has exclusive rights to the right way, only way, or better way to produce art. We can find better ways to disagree without discrimination and disrespect, but we all get carried away sometimes, myself included.

As I said earlier in this thread, I like the traditional method of music creation best. But that doesn’t mean I feel my way is superior to what others have chosen, it’s just the best way for me. Also, I do not feel that Roland is prejudice in anyway at all towards any class or type of musician. Roland makes (or made and will likely make again) samplers such as the SP series (sp-555) production studios (MV-8800), drum machines (DR-880), arrangers, synthesizers, workstations and a tremendous list of instruments to cover many types of musicians no matter their skill level.

But Roland has goals just like anyone else and they do their best to design their musical instruments so that they fulfill the needs of their intended consumer. I think when musicians buy an instrument that musical instrument manufacturers did not intend for them to buy, and then that musician complains that the instrument is not capable of fulfilling their needs, it causes problems for both the consumer and the musical instrument manufacturer. I think Roland is making some tough decisions at this point but also ones that need to be made.

In any case, I find the link pianocomsabor provided appalling, it’s not the music, I just can’t envision myself using the piano on a korg, especially when performing in front of an audience. I just feel like my fans deserve better than to have their ears insulted with such an inferior representation of one of the most beloved and respected acoustic instruments in the world!

Not me pal, if I wanted to insult my fans I would do it outright. To me, having full knowledge of the cheap and inferior nature of korgs then using the ignorance of my fans to con them into thinking they are getting a quality sonic experience is just cowardly and something I would never do, no matter how many features it has. But I understand that we all have specific task that we wish to carry out with an instrument, so to each his own.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

PauloF wrote:
Those could be done using almost any capable board of any brand!!
^^ this. a well prepared pianist can use even a casio keyboard in that situation and make it sound pretty damn nice especially when dynamics isn't as demanding in up tempo music like that.
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

I just noticed this!
kday wrote:One thing I like about the "Amazing One" is you can clearly tell with your eyes closed that this guy is a full Roland employee.

His promotion of Roland products is evident on every line, and his Roland JP-80 promotion enthusiasm sounds like a written commercial. Everytime I read his statements I feel like I'm talking to a Roland salesman employee at NAMM. Which is understandable, when you know if the JP-80 don't sell well few could get their walking papers, their pink slips if Roland were to sustaining two consecutive synth sell failures.
This person (kday) is clearly a korg employee and only attempts to discredit my opinions because korg fears….the beast…Cowards!

I find it truly sickening that korg would stoop to this level, even for them, this is a new level of low. Well pal, you guys just assured that I will never… buy a korg product so long as I live! Seriously, instead of harassing Roland customers, try making good gear for a change! There are plenty of other people giving high praise to Roland for their work on the Jupiter-80 and other gear! This attack against me only comes because I speak the truth!!! You think you lowlifes can silence our voice with these weak debating tactics, well, you got another thing coming, not me you twisted scumbag!

In all seriousness, I am not a Roland employee, I am genuinely ampped and looking forward to experiencing the Jupiter-80, just joining in the fun here and supporting what I believe is a truly ground breaking and exciting piece of equipment. Also, I don’t see anything usual about my typing, I type with a certain style maybe, just comes form debating for a very long time.

Besides, I clearly do not act like the Roland reps that come here, I think they all have guidelines they need to follow, I am free to do or say whatever I want, I assure you :)

Amazing One..
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

Amazing One,
don't be silly! There is no Korg employee here and Korg certainly doesn't need this kind of promotion, to talk bad about a product from the competition. They never said anything bad about any other product even on the Korg side where they - unlike Roland - participate on a regular basis.
Absolutely nobody cares whether you'll buy a Korg or not. 27 oscillators or not, this is nothing new. Kurzweil does this for a longer time now, and it's done right in the program mode. To create a 27 osc patch on the J80 means that you'll have to programm and save separately two live sets and the solo mode and probably all them together as a registration.
Calm down a little bit. Paper facts are paper facts. What's completely unknown for know is how all features are laid out.
In the same way a lot of people raved about the Fantom G, just to learn at a later point that quite a lot of things were implemented wrong or at least halfway backed.
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

mojkarma…
mojkarma wrote:There is no Korg employee here and Korg certainly doesn't need this kind of promotion, to talk bad about a product from the competition. They never said anything bad about any other product even on the Korg side where they - unlike Roland - participate on a regular basis. Absolutely nobody cares whether you'll buy a Korg or not. 27 oscillators or not, this is nothing new.
Look, I can respect you wanting to support your coworker, but this is getting really pathetic. Unless you personally know everyone here, your claims concerning the absents of korg reps is unfounded. And this is the second time I have seen you jump in a thread and defend korg in a way that makes absolutely no sense at all…

What the heck…

I wasn’t talking to you… And you just bust out with this like you have some personal reason to be offended! And why in the world are you attacking the Jupiter-80 and aiming the statements at me like they have something to do with the matters in my pervious post?

You korg guy’s calling someone a Roland rep on a Roland forum where one would expect enthusiastic potential consumers to talk about ROLAND GEAR, or even show support to the company, reeks of ulterior motives! There is suppose to be heavy talk about ROLAND here.

On the other hand, I find it very strange when one comes to a Roland forum and continually types anti Roland statements, or gives to much praise to a rival company.
mojkarma wrote:Kurzweil does this for a longer time now, and it's done right in the program mode. To create a 27 osc patch on the J80 means that you'll have to programm and save separately two live sets and the solo mode and probably all them together as a registration. Calm down a little bit. Paper facts are paper facts. What's completely unknown for know is how all features are laid out. In the same way a lot of people raved about the Fantom G, just to learn at a later point that quite a lot of things were implemented wrong or at least halfway backed.
This does not relate to anything I said, nor is it accurate. I’ve been using synths for a long time and I also like diving deep into the technical side of electronics. I don’t need you or anyone else to tell me how stats can translate to a different experience in practice then they suggest on paper. Your comments concerning Kurzweil are irrelevant as the Jupiter-80 has a different architecture than Kurzweil‘s synths. The Jupiter-80 is most definitely new and very impressive.

Also, for the most part, certain stats on paper translate exactly the way one would expect in practice. Some of them can only function as the stats suggest due to the result that is inherent to the math used to program the given feature.

Your perception regarding a given features function in relation to how you believe it should work is based on how you understand the information you possess, in turn, this creates a reality that is not perceived by those who possess more or less information than you. Or, it’s your opinion! Many felt that the Fantom-G worked just fine and were happy with it, maybe those people knew more than you concerning how Roland intended a given feature to work or maybe they knew less. But the fact that they were happy with the product means that they made good judgments when they purchased their gear.

And I did not visit the Jupiter-80 forum to talk about the Fantom-G. I have read more than enough negative, useless and unfounded rhetoric from the same few people in the G section to last a life time. I have absolutely no problem getting a Fantom-G to do everything I need it to do.

And by the way, I am calm, I see no reason to get upset :)
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

@ amazing one

Anyone has the right to defend or make supporting statements about any product..particularly when it appears that the massive zeal of perceived fanboyism is seemingly making a poster look blind or foolish with extreme comments.
Korg is a fine company, I currently own 2 of their products and personally think the Kronos seems to be a landmark development in workstations, in exactly the same way I also think the JP-80 seems to be a landmark development in synths... and whether you agree with me or not i do not care, as I do not value your opinion...

what Mojkarma, a long time regular (like me) wrote was 100% factual and you responded by insulting him.., I think you need to understand that a basis of common courtesy and respect for others is a good idea in the forum.... that is, if you ever want anyone to take you seriously.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

kenchan wrote:
PauloF wrote:
Those could be done using almost any capable board of any brand!!
^^ this. a well prepared pianist can use even a casio keyboard in that situation and make it sound pretty damn nice especially when dynamics isn't as demanding in up tempo music like that.
@Kenchan, agree, I just didn't want to be so "direct" as you did ;-)
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Mystic38 wrote:@ amazing one

Anyone has the right to defend or make supporting statements about any product..particularly when it appears that the massive zeal of perceived fanboyism is seemingly making a poster look blind or foolish with extreme comments.
Wow, and I was nice to you in my pervious post in the other thread..! :)

Ok Mystic38, show me where I said Mojkarma or anyone else here did not have a right to make statements in support of a product? If not (and you can’t) then I fell to see the relevance in this and only see it as an attempt from you to support your own beliefs in agreement with Mojkarma while using your status and his along with the term “fan boy” as leverage in an attempt to diminish my credibility for whatever reasons you may have.

Furthermore, your statements work both ways…

Anyone has the right to defend or make supporting statements about any product. Particularly, when it appears that the massive zeal of perceived whiners or haters is seemingly making a poster look blind or foolish with extreme comments.

I could say a whole lot more about that and give a tremendous amount of examples.

There is no way that anyone (but the Roland Clan team) is going to tell me I’m out of line when I say something positive. Not with all the whining and unfounded hate I have seen from some here…

I am not here to jump through your hoops! I’ll give my opinion and defend my beliefs and ideas just the same as anyone else here and in a respectful manner, but people who disrespect me can except to be disrespected. I respect the fact the you and others have put a lot of time in here and have helped a lot of people. But only the Roland Clan team has more authority than I do on this forum. Any member who challenges me in a debate can expect that I will do my best to defend my argument.

And people can judge me for themselves, I like to have fun, I like debates and I like a challenge. The more I post the easier it will be to judge when I am joking, but I do not think the majority of people here have that hard of a time understanding me.

I know the story on this forum and have been coming here for a long time. I like you guys but I will have my say here…

Amazing One..
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

AmazingOne,

It seems to me you enjoy debating so much that you've lost sight of what you were debating to begin with. Maybe it's your sense of humor that doesn't so easily come across, but this is all really out of place.

You say you've been reading this forum for some time. Given that, you should know a little more about the people here than you portray. Don't get me wrong, I love a good Korg/Yamaha/Roland conspiracy thread as much as the next. The thing is, maybe you're being defensive and have a good reason. I can understand that, but let's put this in perspective.

Honestly, given your penchant to argue, I have to wonder if you're not really a shunned gearslut who thought they might find a more receptive audience here. After the Jupiter debacle on that site it wouldn't be such a stretch to imagine this to be true.

Isn't it ironic, you've got a similar reception at Roland Clan? It might sound like the land of Fanboys, but one quickly realizes most people here are as much critics as fans. It's not even about being positive or negative. In fact, being impartial and unbiased is what makes this place what it is. The only thing that matters is making the gear work and at the end of the day, if it doesn't do it for you, it's time to move along.

I get the feeling you are on a mission to defend Roland and the Jupiter. An honorable quest to be sure, but do you really believe, after nearly 40yrs, they need the help? Furthermore, I have the distinct impression you think Roland really reads this site.

They don't.

At any rate, these long posts are becoming a bore. The Jupiter-80 is a bore and SuperNatural technology has got to be an inside joke.

Obviously, Roland's target market must be Ghost Hunters.
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

Amazing One wrote: Look, I can respect you wanting to support your coworker, but this is getting really pathetic. Unless you personally know everyone here, your claims concerning the absents of korg reps is unfounded. And this is the second time I have seen you jump in a thread and defend korg in a way that makes absolutely no sense at all…
Does it really matter if a korg/yamaha/kurz rep is here? I mean, I could imagine that somebody from them privately reads occasionally what's going on here, but I'm sure that nobody from them is so stupid to act as a child and troll this forum.
That means, I absolutely don't defend Korg. I defend the employees from any other company and don't believe that they try to market their product by talking bad here about Roland. As far as I can see, they have a lot to do on their own forums where they post on a regular basis.
Amazing One wrote:You korg guy’s calling someone a Roland rep on a Roland forum where one would expect enthusiastic potential consumers to talk about ROLAND GEAR, or even show support to the company, reeks of ulterior motives! There is suppose to be heavy talk about ROLAND here.
We do talk about roland gear, but we don't need to show any kind of support for the company. We gave them money, they give us a product. They don't make products because they have a fan base here. They make products because they want to make money. And we, the user, who give the money fell free to complain if we are not happy with the product or the way how Roland handles their products.

Amazing One wrote:Your perception regarding a given features function in relation to how you believe it should work is based on how you understand the information you possess, in turn, this creates a reality that is not perceived by those who possess more or less information than you. Or, it’s your opinion! Many felt that the Fantom-G worked just fine and were happy with it, maybe those people knew more than you concerning how Roland intended a given feature to work or maybe they knew less. But the fact that they were happy with the product means that they made good judgments when they purchased their gear.
Look, this topic is really the last one where I'd like to talk about concrete things regarding the Fantom G. Since you obviously don't own a Fantom G, just step aside and don't comment. When people are dissatisfied with the FG, it's certainly not because of the color of the buttons. There are much more serious things involved. And just because 100 people are happy with the FG as it is, doesn't mean that the other 100 people do something wrong or have to high expectations.
Amazing One wrote:And I did not visit the Jupiter-80 forum to talk about the Fantom-G. I have read more than enough negative, useless and unfounded rhetoric from the same few people in the G section to last a life time. I have absolutely no problem getting a Fantom-G to do everything I need it to do.
That's finally a good point you made at least. No, think twice, why is there such a negative rhetoric about a former but still actual product? Is it because it happens accidentally that just whiners and trolls joined this forum or maybe Roland didn't get their facts together when they designed the FG?
Could you by any chance understand that people who have an experience with the FG are suspicious about a new product from Roland?
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Hi dbijoux..:)
dbijoux wrote:It seems to me you enjoy debating so much that you've lost sight of what you were debating to begin with. Maybe it's your sense of humor that doesn't so easily come across, but this is all really out of place.
Nahhhh, I like music better, and a few other things, but debating is cool.

Anyhow…does anyone else here notice that I am being challenged by the same members, using the same unfounded made-up claims and the same underhanded dishonorable tactics? Good, I’m glad you can all see that, take note..lol
dbijoux wrote:It seems to me you enjoy debating so much that you've lost sight of what you were debating to begin with. Maybe it's your sense of humor that doesn't so easily come across, but this is all really out of place.
It seems to me that you are..WRONG!… I always keep very good track of what I am debating about thank-you very much. I was finished concerning the comments I made in this thread after my first three post. I do not consider this ridiculous rhetoric to be a debate at all! I made a few comments and then a few people made some off topic comments against me for whatever reason they have and I responded, simple as that, no where near as serious as you suggest. As I said, people can judge for themselves, I think I come across just fine. And the only thing out of place here is your unsubstantiated assumptions. :-)
dbijoux wrote:You say you've been reading this forum for some time. Given that, you should know a little more about the people here than you portray. Don't get me wrong, I love a good Korg/Yamaha/Roland conspiracy thread as much as the next. The thing is, maybe you're being defensive and have a good reason. I can understand that, but let's put this in perspective.
Or, maybe I know a lot more than you assume and I like being humble, you never know..lol!

But yes, lets put this in perspective…
dbijoux wrote:Honestly, given your penchant to argue, I have to wonder if you're not really a shunned gearslut who thought they might find a more receptive audience here. After the Jupiter debacle on that site it wouldn't be such a stretch to imagine this to be true.
Wow, this it huh, more unsubstantiated assumptions…I don’t see any type of logic in your reasoning. You are saying that because I like arguing so much, I would come to a place that I knew had less arguing, that’s pretty weak dbijoux!

I’ll tell you my theory dbijoux, (quietly) I think you are in league with a band of spiteful members who use this forum and others in an attempt to deceive, manipulate, oppress and force Roland to bend to the leagues demands by using oppressive and manipulative debating techniques against members who do not know enough to defend themselves so that you all can gain their support and create leverage in the hopes that Roland might submit to the leagues thoughtless demands. And if anyone threatens the wishes of this particular league by suggesting things that could possibly create an environment that is to friendly towards Roland, and that individual will not submit, then the individual is ganged up on by this group and bombarded with disgraceful debating tactics in an attempt to push them away from Roland Clan so that this league can continue with their destructive behavior, lies and manipulation with the futile belief that Roland will bend to such dishonorable and disgraceful deeds.

So, these are theories, but you might try to look for proof if you can find my none existent (never joined) gearslut account and I can look for proof to support my theory on this forum. Or we can drop the matter and you all can leave me to my opinions (I will have them anyway).
dbijoux wrote:Isn't it ironic, you've got a similar reception at Roland Clan? It might sound like the land of Fanboys, but one quickly realizes most people here are as much critics as fans. It's not even about being positive or negative. In fact, being impartial and unbiased is what makes this place what it is. The only thing that matters is making the gear work and at the end of the day, if it doesn't do it for you, it's time to move along.
I’ll let you in on a secret dbijoux…I knew exactly what kind of a reaction I would get in response to my first post on this forum. And I knew exactly what the responses would be to every post after that. I can even take a guess at why some members responded the way they did. There is a reason I let some people off the hook, I know their history and the most likely reason for their response. And I know how logical and unbiased this place is..

But I also believe that people should be able to give their opinion in a respectful way and not be attacked just because they may strongly like or dislike (I don’t) a piece of gear. As I said, I understand that some people discourage strong criticism of gear on this forum and very hi praise of Roland because they know the effects it will have, they know it will cause conflict with a certain group so it is better to keep things neutral. Unless of coarse, the person making the strong criticism against a rival company or strong praise in support of Roland is me :)…LOL!
dbijoux wrote:I get the feeling you are on a mission to defend Roland and the Jupiter. An honorable quest to be sure, but do you really believe, after nearly 40yrs, they need the help? Furthermore, I have the distinct impression you think Roland really reads this site.

They don't.

At any rate, these long posts are becoming a bore.
On a mission to defend Roland and the Jupiter? Nope, Roland and the Jupiter are awesome! But that is not something I am intentionally setting out to do…I Just like helping people when I can and I like music, art, electronics, good company and many other things…This is a good forum with cool people so maybe I can be of some help!

And I agree, I was bored with this a few post ago but I thought maybe I would see something interesting…

Lighten up guys..

Amazing One!