Advanced color coding for Roland’s Jupiter series?

Forum for JUPITER-80
Amazing One

Advanced color coding for Roland’s Jupiter series?

Post by Amazing One »

Hi Roland!

I like the color coded retro look of the Jupiter-80!

And I understand that many of your synthesizers have features that are unique to their series. I also understand that to Roland, making synthesizers is an art just like making music is an art for us musicians. So I think the new synthesizer design artist at Roland did an excellent job in capturing the essence of the Jupiter and the original ideas and intentions of the artist who created the Jupiter legacy!

Brilliant work guys!

With that said, I would like to offer a suggestion for the next Jupiter. You guys at Roland took everything about the Jupiter to a new and awesome level, but the color coded buttons were left visibly untouched.

When you guys design the next Jupiter, I would be very thankful if you would consider making the buttons, that are to be color coded, out of clear semi-transparent (maybe frosted) plastic and instead of coloring the buttons, use led lights that can change various colors (both by region and individually) according to the users preference.

Using this technique will add to the cool factor and overall enjoyment of the synth, making each one a unique reflection of the musicians personality as well as adding to the purpose for color coding, giving us the ability to set a button or range of buttons to various colors according to a song or user defined purpose (because the color coded buttons on the Jupiter-80 have alternative functions besides sound selection). And the user defined color settings would be saved with the user sound sets.

Also, the Jupiter could ship with the led lights set to the default color coding of the Jupiter series. And a set led light to default (or turn off or on user led light settings) button or option (using the touch screen) could be added to the Jupiter for convenience and for those times when the Jupiter will be used by multiple musicians.

I feel that this idea will take the Jupiter’s color code feature to a new advanced level that is in line with Roland’s philosophy, as well as being in line with the Jupiter’s current internal and external advancements! And I believe that fans of the series would welcome and applaud such a development, seeing it as a modern evolution of Jupiter’s original nature.

I hope you guy’s will take it into consideration, thanks in advance!

Amazing One..
dbijoux

Re: Advanced color coding for Roland’s Jupiter series?

Post by dbijoux »

roygbivftw
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

dbijoux wrote:roygbivftw
Sorry to seem "naive" or illiterate, but for us that English is not our mother language, that means ?
;-)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Amazing One wrote:Hi Roland!

I like the color coded retro look of the Jupiter-80!

And I understand that many of your synthesizers have features that are unique to their series. I also understand that to Roland, making synthesizers is an art just like making music is an art for us musicians. So I think the new synthesizer design artist at Roland did an excellent job in capturing the essence of the Jupiter and the original ideas and intentions of the artist who created the Jupiter legacy!

Brilliant work guys!

With that said, I would like to offer a suggestion for the next Jupiter. You guys at Roland took everything about the Jupiter to a new and awesome level, but the color coded buttons were left visibly untouched.

When you guys design the next Jupiter, I would be very thankful if you would consider making the buttons, that are to be color coded, out of clear semi-transparent (maybe frosted) plastic and instead of coloring the buttons, use led lights that can change various colors (both by region and individually) according to the users preference.

Using this technique will add to the cool factor and overall enjoyment of the synth, making each one a unique reflection of the musicians personality as well as adding to the purpose for color coding, giving us the ability to set a button or range of buttons to various colors according to a song or user defined purpose (because the color coded buttons on the Jupiter-80 have alternative functions besides sound selection). And the user defined color settings would be saved with the user sound sets.

Also, the Jupiter could ship with the led lights set to the default color coding of the Jupiter series. And a set led light to default (or turn off or on user led light settings) button or option (using the touch screen) could be added to the Jupiter for convenience and for those times when the Jupiter will be used by multiple musicians.

I feel that this idea will take the Jupiter’s color code feature to a new advanced level that is in line with Roland’s philosophy, as well as being in line with the Jupiter’s current internal and external advancements! And I believe that fans of the series would welcome and applaud such a development, seeing it as a modern evolution of Jupiter’s original nature.

I hope you guy’s will take it into consideration, thanks in advance!

Amazing One..
@Amazing One,
is this for real, or you're trying to make fun of Roland?
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

Red ones going to light up pink...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

kenchan wrote:Red ones going to light up pink...
LoL ;-)
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Sorry Paulo, I forgot that might not translate.

It's a mnemonic device for the visible colors of the spectrum. Primary school art class stuff here in the states.

Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet

vermelho, laranja, amarelo, verde, azul, anil e violeta (doesn't work so well in portuguese)

If anyone wondered where the colors came from, Roland was looking to the rainbow for inspiration.
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Hi PauloF!
PauloF wrote:@Amazing One, is this for real, or you're trying to make fun of Roland?
No, I’m serious, I believe that the color coding would be much more appealing if we could set our own colors. And with the feature I suggested, those who do not like the color coding could simply set all the buttons to black or green or any color they wish (or the ones Roland makes available). I think it will help complete the Jupiter’s modern looks while at the same time offering the color coding feature that is apart of the Jupiter legacy. Roland might even consider putting black material on top of the buttons, such as the way the Fantom-G’s drum pads are setup, but instead of using orange light, let the user define their own colors using the method I mentioned in my post above, and as I said, they could have it ship with the led lights set to the Jupiter’s default color coding.

What do you think, would you get rid of the color coding all together or do you just like the current button colors?

At first, I was a bit shocked at how they setup the buttons, but after seeing it in the videos, I think it looks more appealing than I originally thought from seeing it in pictures. But I think many would like the option to set all the buttons to one color, it would be a good compromise and I believe it would be acceptable to those that like the color coding and those that don’t.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Setting all the buttons to one color would defeat any original purpose. If you are so inclined against rainbows I'm sure there are mods you could do on your own. It would be as easy as ordering a lot of purple ones and swapping them out, or green if that's your gig.

re: Fantom, there are some people with blue LED's.

It's hard to tell if you're serious because it's such a minor detail and even you said it looks more appealing now. Heck, even Kenchan has came around to the new design and his first impression was aghast.
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Hi bijoux!
dbijoux wrote:Setting all the buttons to one color would defeat any original purpose.
No it would not, It would advance it…That is why I said..
Amazing One wrote:the Jupiter could ship with the led lights set to the default color coding of the Jupiter series. And a set led light to default (or turn off or on user led light settings) button or option (using the touch screen) could be added to the Jupiter for convenience and for those times when the Jupiter will be used by multiple musicians.
Problem solved...That will add more versatility to Jupiter’s color coding feature, even if all the buttons are set to one color, the color chosen could serve a purpose. But my idea allows for many possibilities and various colors or groups of colors in any region across the button layout.
dbijoux wrote:If you are so inclined against rainbows I'm sure there are mods you could do on your own. It would be as easy as ordering a lot of purple ones and swapping them out, or green if that's your gig.
I have given my opinion concerning the color coding, it grew on me. So I am not against the current color coding.

As stated above..
Amazing One wrote:At first, I was a bit shocked at how they setup the buttons, but after seeing it in the videos, I think it looks more appealing than I originally thought from seeing it in pictures.
So you are incorrect concerning your assumptions. I am only interested in offering an idea that I believe will add to the Jupiter’s appeal. I agree that it is a minor feature but that does not make it meaningless. I am an artist and a perfectionist, to me, every detail of my music matters, even the smallest part. I understand and appreciate the work, passion and time that goes into making something worthwhile. Roland understands this as well, art is a journey and I strive to produce perfection. I believe Roland shares this journey and is open to ideas that can help them reach their intended goals.

Roland included the color coding on the Jupiter-80, they would not have done so if they felt it was meaningless. I am offering an idea that I feel is capable of adding greater appeal and bringing the Jupiter line closer to perfection as defined by (what is most likely to be) Roland’s intended purpose for the color coding feature on the Jupiter-80.

Doing self mod’s is an option for any synth and only brings the modified synth closer to perfection as defined by the individual who ordered or performed the mod on their synth. It would not add to the popular opinion concerning the Jupiter, or add to it’s value and prestige which would add to it’s ability to grow on many levels, not only independently but as a product line. I feel Roland’s consumers would appreciate this small innovation as an included feature.
dbijoux wrote:It's hard to tell if you're serious because it's such a minor detail and even you said it looks more appealing now. Heck, even Kenchan has came around to the new design and his first impression was aghast.
And again, I am not joking….

It is possible for one to project their perspective and feelings on others and see their own nature or beliefs. I am sincere concerning my suggestion and as I said in my original post, I feel that Roland did an excellent job in capturing the essence of the Jupiter and the original ideas and intentions of the artist who created the Jupiter legacy!

I speak as one artist to another (to Roland)…Just an idea that I wanted to share and if Roland decides to stick with their current color code method, it would not diminish my opinion concerning the Jupiter line.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Ok ok, I got you now!

I Also like the color coding used by Roland. Despite being a matter of personal taste, I find it very useful, even more in Live situations.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

dbijoux wrote: Heck, even Kenchan has came around to the new design and his first impression was aghast.
this is true! f(^0^)
secret Roland agent

Post by secret Roland agent »

BTW Thanks to your opinion, Kenchan, I decided to stick with the black!
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Designer synths ?.. (slaps head)
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

I'm a fan of the color coding both on the hardware & software graphics. Just from the color of the lights you'll know if you've got an organ, strings, solo or piano sound before you play a note. They did a nice job there.