Another Classic name used for a crap synth

Forum for JUPITER-80
Alphacode

Another Classic name used for a crap synth

Post by Alphacode »

And Here we go again when Roland uses a classic name to create an instrument with trupets and pianos and a VA interface from the sh201 / sh 01gaia. Congrats ROLAND on another piece of junk that will die forgotten like all of your recent synths . Lets be honest neither Roland or korg will ever produce anything interestingfrom now on . It's up to the little companies like moog ,waldorf and Access now .

Please roland file for company liquidation already !
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Another Classic name used for a crap synth

Post by Artemiy »

Thanks very much for your information! It is very valuable to us.
srgebel

Post by srgebel »

lol thats funny. Roland and korg are both producing fine sounding synths.I am impressed with the
krono's demo i heard. TheJP80 sounds great in its own realm as well. Although, all i own is Roland
synths, korg makes quality products for sure. Most synths have their own reason for being. heck i
even have a Yamaha e *something lol* and it has some great piano, string sounds.

just saw that the JP80 is 3500 on musiciansfriend. not too bad...said may11th???? not that i can
afford it, or will get it...just saying
trrstrl

Post by trrstrl »

I thought all the Roland haters were hanging out harmony central.

Everyone has a right to an opinion of course. Seems to be a lot controversy over this yet to be released synth.

Hearing the amount of complaining about Roland's choice of the name Jupiter has gotten tiresome. If it is such a big deal to people they should just move on. Maybe the choice of Jupiter as a name doesn't fit some peoples
expectations that it be an analog synth. Seems like there are already things on the market that fill that niche. If they say the original Jupiter was meant to represent there best at the time, I don't see a reason why they couldn't use it again to represent what they consider to be their best currently.

I think Roland is taking some chances, but I also think it is better than putting out "just" another workstation. They probably would have been better off putting this out rather than the Fantom G (which wasn't a substantial enough improvement over the Fantom X for me).

There are a lot of poor demonstration videos of the Jupiter 80. There are a few decent ones though, and you can tell from those that the sounds seem very good as well as expressive. If it covers a lot of sounds that people need plus allows room for you to create new ones I don't see why this wouldn't be a sought after synth.

Some of the complaints: not enough real time controllers (knobs and sliders). I think working with a touch screen in most cases will be easy enough. Heavy duty editing will definitely benefit from the touch screen. Quite a few of the parameters of Roland's V-Synth are only accessible through the touch screen, and it has quite a few physical controllers. It will be disappointing though if the four sliders can't be assigned to something other than levels.

No sequencer: I haven't heard anyone happy with any sequencer on any hardware synth, so why add to the cost and processing power with something no one is ever pleased with. You could argue that recording performances fits with the idea of expressiveness better than sequencing anyway. If you want to sequence there are plenty of hardware and software options out there, same with multitrack recording. Sequencing could result in taking away some of that expressiveness that Roland is trying to include here.

Sounds like crap: Well then I guess everything sounds like crap. Considering that a fair assessment will only be made in person with this thing once it is released; I haven't heard anything that suggests it sounds like crap. There definitely haven't been enough demos showing the variety of sounds this synth is supposed to be capable of. It's supposed to include Roland's most powerful VA but there has been very little shown to make it apparent. At the very least it sounds as good as any other top of the line synth by other manufacturers including software. To me it sounds better because it sounds closer to actual instruments than most others. It better have a lot of those realistic sounding instruments though.

My conclusions? It offers a different approach than the workstations (their own as well as others) that is a little closer to software but even different there also. Seems to offer premium quality emulations of real instruments and (hopefully) a very powerful VA, and unique layering and performance options. If it has plenty of sound warping potential, then I will be interested. Is it overpriced? Probably, but not unrealistically so for a top of the line product with Roland's best technologies on board. Would really like to see it come in at under $3000.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

that weathertech lady (ad) looks like she's happy.
Grammar Wombat

Post by Grammar Wombat »

Weathertech lady? Who? Anyway…

As has been stated in another thread, it is inappropriate to use the word "carp" to describe a synthesizer. Likewise, one should never utilize "herring," "anchovy," or "minnow."

The term "salmon synth" may be employed if it is colored like a Waldorf MicroWaveXT. "Trout synth" is only appropriate when playing music by Schubert; otherwise, it is quite fishy.

"Tilapia" and "mahi-mahi" are completely out of the question!

One may use "bass," as in:
Leh173 wrote:My old Juno-106 is still beautiful sounding, even if the chorus is half the sound! The bass is huge on that thing.
DJ RAZZ

Post by DJ RAZZ »

I do not want to start any trouble, especially in the wrong thread, so I will be brief.

It is wrong what they are doing to the Fantom G and their owners. It is not the same deal as the Varios or
VP-9000.

Roland!!! Take a hint from Dave Smith Instruments and be loyal to the people who stick by you. I am sure that I am unaware of the money and people power that it takes to keep the Fantom G project going insofar as following through with the proper updates and such, and even if there are only going to be 3 ARX cards, at least send the G out a finished and completed synth.

That's all I wanted to say.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Let's move on from the name thing, and if you really want the original Jupiter, save your pennies and pony up and buy one.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

I read your reply yesterday and am still laughing.. i just hope the OP came back..lol
Artemiy wrote:Thanks very much for your information! It is very valuable to us.
tompabes

Post by tompabes »

Alphacode wrote:And Here we go again when Roland uses a classic name to create an instrument with trupets and pianos and a VA interface from the sh201 / sh 01gaia. Congrats ROLAND on another piece of junk that will die forgotten like all of your recent synths . Lets be honest neither Roland or korg will ever produce anything interestingfrom now on . It's up to the little companies like moog ,waldorf and Access now .

if you're serious this means you have NO IDEA of what you're saying, you have not followed any of the posts on theJP80, you don't know anything of its technique and have not watched any of the videos that have been posted explaining the supernatural modeling, so why are you talking?
The supernatural technology is certainly more interesting than the VA technology we find in moog, waldorf and access. Yes, VA is a wonderful technique that changed the synth scene a lot during the 90s, but it is a technology that was born more than 10 years ago and is now mature, while the modeling techniques that Roland is using (and Roland is the only major player using modeling for the acoustic piano, if I'm not wrong) are more innovative.
Not even Clavia, who built its fortunes on virtual modeling of analog synths and the hammond organ is modeling the acoustic piano.
Maybe you don't like the look, maybe you're one of those people who think that the only true synths are analog and have been produced from 1968 to 1982 and you don't like the Jupiter name, the only thing you cannot say is that Roland is not being innovative.

BTW, Roland should stop using names like Juno or Jupiter and should stop copying the look of their old synths. Not because the names are ugly, and not because the design is not good (I like the Juno-G a lot), but simply because there will always be someone that stands up yells "this is just a rompler that sounds like crap, it will never be like the original juno/jupiter/alpha/sh/whatever!" (strange... why do not they say the same thing for Moog? Do they think that moog synths nowadays are analog just because they have the moog logo?). So why insist in using those old historic names and feed the trolls? Just use different names.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Artemiy wrote:Thanks very much for your information! It is very valuable to us.
^^ best response so far.. i feel so enlightened by the wisdom of the OP! :D
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Alphacode wrote:And Here we go again when Roland uses a classic name to create an instrument with trupets and pianos and a VA interface from the sh201 / sh 01gaia. Congrats ROLAND on another piece of junk that will die forgotten like all of your recent synths . Lets be honest neither Roland or korg will ever produce anything interestingfrom now on . It's up to the little companies like moog ,waldorf and Access now .

Ouch!!! Someone over sensitive over "classic names"....
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

V-CeeOh wrote:

Ouch!!! Someone over sensitive over "classic names"....
imagine wat might happen if we mentioned classic names such as... Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde!!
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

Grammar Wombat wrote:Weathertech lady? Who? Anyway…
this lady below~
Alphacode

Post by Alphacode »

[quote="tompabes"][quote="Alphacode"]

The supernatural technology is certainly more interesting than the VA technology we find in moog, waldorf and access.

Oh ok i didn't know Moog synts are Virtual analogs , man you know so much more then anyone including moog people as i'm sure they didn't know themselves that they were doing Virtual analogues...

Supernatural what ... ?

Son, i had a G8 ,G6 ,X 7 ,Sh201,Juno D and Vsynth 2.0 from the new synths in thelast years, and sold all my gear recently to use plugins a friend showed me and one Novation Sl controller as they are so much better sounding than any hardware synth ,you can't even compare, anyone that still praise the Juno 106 as the best synth ever knows very little about synths ! Roland is just not good anymore ....

Korg , Monotribe .... what the hell is this thing , you'll get bored after 2 hours of the two sounds in it ...Korg kronos.??.. lets find a cheap way to put the already released plugins of the polysix and ms20 into a hardware synth with trumpets and pianos alongside yeah...

Lets face it NOTHING GOOD will come out of these companies anymore.. Until you realise that it costs 500€ to make a FG6 for Roland and sell it to you for over 2K ,They are here to rip you off ... A real analogue Prophet 08 that is a new prophet 5 deserves the name prophet not the JU80... oh and it costs 1600€

I know this forum is a territory of 80% guys playing at weddings and bars with pianos and trumpets anyway ,(no offense) but REAL keyboardists ( DM ,Keith emerson ,jordan rudess etc... use different equipment) they get paid like Howard jones did to say the Jupiter 80 is great ,but you can see clearly this guy is struggeling at times to not say what a hell is this thing ... Howard still plays on Moogs prodigys ,Jupiter8 etc btw ...

PS : Do you know why i am so pissed , because i saw the Ju80 on an advert and got SO EXITED i ran like hell and call a friend to tell him that before i watched the videos ! to be then SO DISSAPOINTED that it just pisses me of like hell ..!