Jupiter-80, a Classic is born?

Forum for JUPITER-80
jobo

Jupiter-80, a Classic is born?

Post by jobo »

Hi folks,

As a long time reader, first time poster, and part time keyboard player since 1975, I wanted to express my opinion in light of all the negativity I’ve read in this and other forums concerning the Jupiter-80. First, I've been using Roland equipment for 15 years and I’m pretty happy overall with the sounds of their products. I own or have owned: Fender Rhodes, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Moog Voyager, Korg Poly 800, Triton TR, Motif rack XS, Juno Stage, etc. Although it may appear that I’m an equipment whore, I attempt to get good bang for the buck in a reliable, easy to set up rig.

I’m currently using a Fantom X7, VK-8M Organ Module, and a Gaia SH-01 (yes I know, I sound like a living Roland commercial). I primarily play piano, EP, organ, and synthesizer sounds in several rock bands. I didn’t buy a Fantom G because, like a lot of other players, I didn’t see enough difference between the X and the G to justify a purchase. I have never used arpeggiators or sequencers. I believe that using “performances” that are not coming from my fingers is a misrepresentation.

Now to the Jupiter-80. Roland owns the name Jupiter. They can do whatever they want with it. And, who really cares what they call it? It’s all about the sounds you can use and if it allows you to be expressive in your art. Roland could have called it the Steaming Excrement Pile and painted it pink. I’d still buy it if it did what I wanted and was affordable. Oh, and I know that a lot of folks think it’s overpriced, but wake up peoples. You’re in a time tunnel. The yen was worth $1.00 in 2008. Today, it’s worth $1.25. That means our dollar buys 20% less than it did in 2008. So, if the Jupiter-80 sells for $3500, that’s $2800 in 2008 dollars.

The Jupiter-80 at first look appears to be my ideal stage keyboard. I’m seeing a combination of Supernatural pianos and EPs, tone wheel, virtual analog, layers and splits. This keyboard should let me hit the stage with one keyboard, and no modules or extra stuff to wire up and plug in. They have actually built a keyboard that I am the target market for. Of course, I will need to actually play it first, hear it in person, feel the keys, etc. So, if the reality of this keyboard stands up to my initial impression, I will be buying one. If you played the Jupiter-80 and found fault with some sound or setting, or just thought it was crap, please share your wisdom. If you’re whining about the name, the colors, the lack of this or that, and haven’t actually played it and you are taking the time to post your rants on forums, you should probably channel your energies elsewhere, like maybe write a nice song.

In closing, I’d like to thank and send out good vibes to Roland for making great products and Artemiy for putting this forum together where I have gotten good advise on purchases, and fixes for problems.
piaknowguy

Re: Jupiter-80, a Classic is born?

Post by piaknowguy »

I just wanted to thank-you for your post, Jobo, and am very glad to see you participating in the Jupiter 80 discussions.

I personally find it great to see Roland investing a little more R&D into the exacting science of sound engineering with their 'Supernatural' technology! For those out there who have been complaining about Roland's patch re-cycling approaches, this change in direction should be an answer to their prayers. Roland's attention to rich, high-quality sound and performance found in the Jupiter 80 has definitely captured my interest so far! I look forward to hearing alot more of what this instrument has to offer!

Cheers!
Python

Post by Python »

Genious post! The thing I seem to read the most on different forums is how disappointed people are, that it's not like some other specific analog synth, and I just can't help but to wonder why they don't just purchase their favorite synth instead of complaining about every other synth not being like it.
Even though I'd like to gig more, my primary use is in tve studio at the time, but even though I have a Fantom X and NI Komplete, I just find the supernatural sounds I habe tried on other instruments plus the demos I've heard of the beast to be way more inspiring!

I have to correct you on one point though... Roland does NOT own the Jupiter name :P
Take a look at roland.com under the jupiter and scroll to the bottom qhere you will find a copyright notice ;)
DJ RAZZ

Post by DJ RAZZ »

I am not comparing it to 2008. But I am holding it accountable for being priced well in comparison to the other members of the big 3. I am a proud owner of a Juno Gi and have owned over 20 Roland keyboards during my career. This thing is not a fair price.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

piaknowguy wrote:I just wanted to thank-you for your post, Jobo, and am very glad to see you participating in the Jupiter 80 discussions.

I personally find it great to see Roland investing a little more R&D into the exacting science of sound engineering with their 'Supernatural' technology! For those out there who have been complaining about Roland's patch re-cycling approaches, this change in direction should be an answer to their prayers. Roland's attention to rich, high-quality sound and performance found in the Jupiter 80 has definitely captured my interest so far! I look forward to hearing alot more of what this instrument has to offer!

Cheers!
Amen to that!
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Well, i can ditto the "sound engineering" comments by piaknowguy, to me THAT is what the JP-80 represents.. the acoustic instruments were stunning and the synth sounded great.

Personally i think that along with the Kronos, 2011 has demonstrated significant advances in keyboard developments...

but to the OP

1. Price:
Quoting exchange rates as a rational for the price is demonstrating a lack of understanding of technology product pricing & component costs... various comments include
a) the USA is 50% of the world market for pretty much everything so exchange rates for a foreign supplier is their problem not the US based consumers...assuming they wish to be successful :)
c) Roland are quite reasonably pricing this to market, not to cost...their margin will be very high on this product (and should be).
d) At the end of the day, if, in reviews and by general consensus it beats the Nord Stage 2 across the board on sound quality (as it has similar no frills functionality) it will be a bargain at the list price.

2. Functionality
if this is the bees knees for you then be happy, but if we all wanted the same from a board then wouldnt life be boring?.. can you imagine if you went out to watch and band and they ALL played the same board?.. yuk!

So relax as this is EXACTLY the forum where folks SHOULD be saying.. I like the JP-80 but i need such and such....cos if they didnt do that in here and other forums then all manufacturers would think they are wonderful and we would never have any new products... and that would suck!
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

What people may not realize (_if_ it is true, I am merely speculating here) is that, if JP-80 represents the culmination of a long-term round of engineering and the debut of a new generation of technologies and integration from Roland, it's natural that the price is going to be higher on the debut instrument, for reasons of R&D recoup alone.

If that theory is true, this would be the start of a new five-year cycle where Roland will start with a high-end instrument and then distribute the various technologies represented in that instrument through a line of various instruments of, over time, increasingly lower cost (along with a subset of the original tech). They, and other Japanese manufacturers, have done this repeatedly over the years.
DJ RAZZ

Post by DJ RAZZ »

realtrance wrote:What people may not realize (_if_ it is true, I am merely speculating here) is that, if JP-80 represents the culmination of a long-term round of engineering and the debut of a new generation of technologies and integration from Roland, it's natural that the price is going to be higher on the debut instrument, for reasons of R&D recoup alone.

If that theory is true, this would be the start of a new five-year cycle where Roland will start with a high-end instrument and then distribute the various technologies represented in that instrument through a line of various instruments of, over time, increasingly lower cost (along with a subset of the original tech). They, and other Japanese manufacturers, have done this repeatedly over the years.
This is very true.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

V-CeeOh wrote:
piaknowguy wrote:I just wanted to thank-you for your post, Jobo, and am very glad to see you participating in the Jupiter 80 discussions.

Cheers!
Amen to that!
Amen too...Oops...are we forming a new "religion" now? ;-)

@Jobo, very nice post!! and by the way, welcome to the clan!!!
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

can i have another Amen?!!..lol

I am having forward thinking imagination... in 10 years when some other synth comes out...

"yeah its nice but it doesnt sound anything like a JP-80" :D
markWar

Post by markWar »

>I’m seeing a combination of Supernatural pianos and EPs, tone wheel, virtual analog, layers and splits. This keyboard should let me hit the stage with one keyboard, and no modules or extra stuff to wire up and plug in...

I'm just wondering about something. I'm not a working musician, and it's been a while since I've even been in a bar. But as I remember things--

You're on stage. The people out there are drunk. The people out there are bargaining with hookers. The people out there are bumping around to get the hot neighborhood girls/guys to pick them to go home with. The people out there are puking in the corner. The bar's PA might be wired up with extension cord wire...

How much of this concern for perfectly shaped sounds and perfectly configured equipment even matters?

Given the state of technology, for a performing musician with those people out there in that dark, for all practical purposes wouldn't a Casio WK-7500 get the job done as well as anything else?
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

Music as a joy is a two way process: from those who make it and those who listen to it. Those who make it also want to enjoy in playing. That is one of the reasons why keyboarder buy new gear. Otherwise we would stil play an old M1 or a JV 80.
Python

Post by Python »

mojkarma wrote:Music as a joy is a two way process: from those who make it and those who listen to it. Those who make it also want to enjoy in playing. That is one of the reasons why keyboarder buy new gear. Otherwise we would stil play an old M1 or a JV 80.
Plus, some of us might even use it to compose some new music with. And perhaps even want to replicate what we composed in a live setting...
jobo

Post by jobo »

Ok, I started this thread months ago with a very optimistic outlook on the Jupiter 80, so I decided to put my money where my mouth is. I just picked up a Jupiter 80. I'll post my thoughts after I spend some time with it.
cello

Post by cello »

jobo wrote:Ok, I started this thread months ago with a very optimistic outlook on the Jupiter 80, so I decided to put my money where my mouth is. I just picked up a Jupiter 80. I'll post my thoughts after I spend some time with it.
Congratulations on your new purchase! I hope you have as much pleasure with the JP-80 that I have.

She works like a dream :-)