Detailed Specs and user guide

Forum for JUPITER-80
RKfan

Detailed Specs and user guide

Post by RKfan »

The more I see the excellent demos the more I am liking this keyboard (SuperNatural violin and brass sound great). I have 3 questions.

I was wondering if there is any news on when we might get to see some more detailed specs for the Jupiter 80 since what is posted to date is a little light?

Also, when will a manual be available for downloading?

And, last question - how does the analogue modelling synth differ from the GAIA?

Yes, I am also on the Korg forum; R stands for Roland... I currently have a 5 year old Juno-G which I still think is brilliant (I've made some great patches with it) - hence on the market for something new (still keeping the G).
Amazing One

Re: Detailed Specs and user guide

Post by Amazing One »

Hi RKfan!

I looked at the name of your post and was a bit surprised, thinking Roland had already released the user guide. It’s still a bit to early I suppose but I am eager to see the user guide as well, along with some Roland made product audio, video and sound example material!

Here are a few things Vince aka vladuca (keyboards product manager for Roland US) had to say regarding comparisons to GAIA..
Vince wrote:JP-80 VA and GAIA are completely different engines. Also, tone blender is like SUPER matrix control.
Vince wrote:In no way is it a GAIA engine. All new! The only similarity is the interface, and the 3-tone (now called partial) config - per tone (that was a bit confusing...). Also notice the UNISON mode from the JP-8! I don't have time to post the screenshots here as of yet, but they live somewhere online :-)
Vince wrote:Another cool thing is how you can stack 27 oscillators, each with independent filter, amp, and LFO. Each “synth” tone has 3 oscillators (called “partials” with independent filter, amp, and LFO), and if you use Upper, Lower, and Solo parts, that’s 9 tones. 9×3=27. We’ve also modeled the JUPITER-8s UNISON mode, so if that get’s dropped into the equation, you’re up in the 70s! Can you say thick?!
kday

Post by kday »

the difference between the Jupiter 80 and the Gaia is that the Gaia has a virtual Analog synth engine onboard and the JP-80 doesn't have an analog synth onboard. But only plays back digital ROM waveforms thru Supernatural Behavior Modelling. There is no VA onboard the JP-80 - nor is there a full blown physical modelling engine in it. Only partial style behavior modelling that adds modeled realism to all digital ROM sampled sound sets. Roland specs also confirm no VA or separate Physical Modeled engines onboard. And we'll never see in any official Roland specs about these rumored fantasy synth engines within the unit.

Now a Roland employee might tell you that the JP-80 has every bell and whistle and synth engine included, heck if I was a Roland employee trying to sell you the keyboard, I might be tempted too!
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

kday wrote:the difference between the Jupiter 80 and the Gaia is that the Gaia has a virtual Analog synth engine onboard and the JP-80 doesn't have an analog synth onboard. But only plays back digital ROM waveforms thru Supernatural Behavior Modelling. There is no VA onboard the JP-80 - nor is there a full blown physical modelling engine in it. Only partial style behavior modelling that adds modeled realism to all digital ROM sampled sound sets. Roland specs also confirm no VA or separate Physical Modeled engines onboard. And we'll never see in any official Roland specs about these rumored fantasy synth engines within the unit
kday
Obviously no one said the Jupiter-80 has a analog synth onboard. But , although this isn't exactly specified, everything points to the fact that there is a VA synth in the Jupiter as part of the engine . I don't know why we should not take Vince and Dan posts for granted and take yours. We've been talking about this in other threads and I suggest we wait for more valid information before stating things the way you do.
RKfan

Post by RKfan »

Amazing One - thanks for the quotes.

I was wondering if you can hook envelopes to the tone blender so you can fade tones in and out to make brilliant PADs?
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

RKfan wrote:Amazing One - thanks for the quotes.

I was wondering if you can hook envelopes to the tone blender so you can fade tones in and out to make brilliant PADs?
I think this is the answer ;-)
kday

Post by kday »

V-CeeOh wrote:
kday
Obviously no one said the Jupiter-80 has a analog synth onboard. But , although this isn't exactly specified, everything points to the fact that there is a VA synth in the Jupiter as part of the engine . I don't know why we should not take Vince and Dan posts for granted and take yours. We've been talking about this in other threads and I suggest we wait for more valid information before stating things the way you do.
There are tons of people even on this board going around stating that the JP-80 has an onboard VA synth in it. There's even a thread here dedicated to this misinformation I believe.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

And why do you keep calling it misinformation when Dan and Vince from ROLAND say:
vladuca wrote:Hi -
Vince here...

The "analog" side's core waveforms in the JP-80 are modeled vintage waveforms with the addition of the 300+ PCMs waves from our digital synths. This adds more sonic possibilites.
Dan Krisher wrote:
The acoustic sounds are generated from SuperNATURAL and Behavior Modeling Technologies. The synthesizer sounds can be generated using SuperNATURAL controlled analog modeling, or, from SuperNATURAL controlled PCM waveforms of which there are 350. This gives you the raw data of classic synths from the past.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

kday wrote:
V-CeeOh wrote:
kday
There are tons of people even on this board going around stating that the JP-80 has an onboard VA synth in it. There's even a thread here dedicated to this misinformation I believe.
Just to reinforce what V-CeeOh just said, have those "tons of people" actually have had access to the JP-80, tried it and read it's data sheets yet?
No. This is just pure speculation, which is normal on these forums, but if Roland guys were here saying the opposite, we should take their info as true, don't you think?

cheers,
Paulo
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

V-CeeOh wrote:
RKfan wrote:Amazing One - thanks for the quotes.

I think this is the answer ;-)
Dear God ok now I have to seriously consider whether I should sell a bunch of stuff I've had for a decade or more.... sigh.... that is AMAZING. I had a feeling this thing would have depth beyond compare, but this is just jaw-dropping!
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I'm really curious about that "SHUFFLE" parameter :-)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

V-CeeOh wrote:I'm really curious about that "SHUFFLE" parameter :-)
Surprise...surprise ;-)
en76

Post by en76 »

wow! look awesome but what happen to organ side of it.? Is there a demo on the organs? How Supernatural/modeling behavior sound on organ or am I missing something here?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

en76 wrote:wow! look awesome but what happen to organ side of it.? Is there a demo on the organs? How Supernatural/modeling behavior sound on organ or am I missing something here?
I believe the Organ Part is derived from the Virtual Tone Wheel Organ (like on the VR-700 or VK-8M), but so far, no documents about that.
en76

Post by en76 »

@PauloF
I believe the Organ Part is derived from the Virtual Tone Wheel Organ (like on the VR-700 or VK-8M), but so far, no documents about that.
Thanks! If that so then JP-80 is definitely awesome!