Over 350 PCM waves picked up from the digital synth

Forum for JUPITER-80
afr

Over 350 PCM waves picked up from the digital synth

Post by afr »

extract from Jupiter 80 brochure:

Gorgeous collections of characteristic PCM waveforms from the
masterpiece digital synths of the times. You can synthesize these
waveforms any way you want on the Tone Edit screen.
A few of the onboard sounds are listed below:

JP-8 Saw (from jupiter 8)
JD-800 Sound
Fantasia ( D50 )
Wire String
Metal Vox
SA EP
SBF Lead
Sync Sweep
Atmosphere

Reading the ufficial brochure I found that in the J80 some of the most
popular waves has been taken and used to ricreate some of the tipical
roland sound, is this correct?

for instance may I ask you how many sounds coming from the D50 or JD800 are present in
the Jupiter 80? is it reasonable think that some of the most important patch
has been recreated ?

thanks a lot
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Over 350 PCM waves picked up from the digital synth

Post by Artemiy »

These are the same "classic" waveforms that were present in all of their synths since late 1990's... nothing new here really. You can do all those classic sounds even on a JUNO-Di.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Artemiy wrote:These are the same "classic" waveforms that were present in all of their synths since late 1990's... nothing new here really. You can do all those classic sounds even on a JUNO-Di.
Just to add on that, even on the Fantoms and SonicCell
afr

Post by afr »

Artemiy wrote:These are the same "classic" waveforms that were present in all of their synths since late 1990's... nothing new here really. You can do all those classic sounds even on a JUNO-Di.
I presume / hope that thanks better D/A convertion,maybe a new sound engine, use of super natural technology,the final result will be better
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

afr wrote:
I presume / hope that thanks better D/A convertion,maybe a new sound engine, use of super natural technology,the final result will be better
Due to the advances in technology, the final result SHOULD be better, yes.
Although we know that sometimes the logic is different...

Let's wait and see
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

"Better" as in what?
You expect a D-50 PCM wave to sound better then a D-50?
Or a JP-8 saw PCM wave to sound better then a JP-8?
I think this is just a natural add on to the Jupiter-80 engine just like it was on other keyboards and will help you recreating those synths sounds more quickly or more "realisticly", if you which. Will also bring some more versatitlity to the Jupiter-80.
But, on top of that, it will prevent users from whining that Roland didn't bring their past synhesizer sounds to it's new one ;-)
The sound quality will be top notch, obviously.
afr

Post by afr »

V-CeeOh wrote:
"Better" as in what?
You expect a D-50 PCM wave to sound better then a D-50?
no, just better than a D50 sound recreated on a Juno Di

do you agree?
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

do you agree?
Well, I'm a little keen about this "recreate", "replicate" and "emulate" era we live in ;-)
Don't have a straight answer to that. It all depends on what sound you'll be trying to recreate and how you'll do it. The D-50 Fantasia patch is made out of 4 partials that can sound quite diferently across the keyboard. If you are expecting the Jupiter to do it with a single PCM from that sound I will grant you'll get the same "quality" has in the Juno-Di. But it all depends on what you're trying to achieve.

My D-50 sounds better now then what it sounded 20 years ago simply because the overall quality of the sound chain has improved. With that you also can cleary hear the noises from it's sound engine.The D-50 card for the V-Synth is an awsome replication of the D-50. The sounds are clearer, sharper and noiseless. So, does it sounds better then the D-50? I would have to say yes BUT I believe "noise" to be part of sound (although we're constantly trying to remove it ;-)) so I just feel it's never the same thing.
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

If I recall correctly, there's an option to choose "original" D-50 sound, with the noise, or "cleaned-up" D-50 sound, on the V-Synth, isn't that right? Never had an original D-50 to compare but I've heard that in that mode, they're basically identical....?
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

If I recall correctly, there's an option to choose "original" D-50 sound, with the noise, or "cleaned-up" D-50 sound, on the V-Synth, isn't that right?
If that's true I wasn't aware of it.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

V-CeeOh wrote:
If I recall correctly, there's an option to choose "original" D-50 sound, with the noise, or "cleaned-up" D-50 sound, on the V-Synth, isn't that right?
In fact on the D-50 emulation running on the V-Synth (and I believe on the VC-1 card too) in the SYSTEM options, there is one Parameter called Sound character that you can choose from: D-50 or V-Synth.

The differences must be very subtle, as to my ears (I should say ear :-)), they look very very similar/the same...
Maybe a person that hears well can help us here.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

vceeoh has a great point.. what is it that you want it to sound like?..

if you want sounds that are like the original early synths with warmth and character then the last thing you actually want are better converters!!.. to get the same sound..you need the same waveform and the same signal processing and, as many of the subtle sonic attributes of early synths had a lot to do with the less than perfectly specified converters...then you need either crappy old converters (which you wont get), or some nifty way of recreating the less than non linear amplitude and phase response of said converters..

if you want supporting arguments, look at the access virus.. there is no doubt that technically and capability wise VirusTi>C>B>A, but sonically all the virus purists say A&B>C>>Ti

Personally i would rather see new synths stretching boundaries, not recreating the past... it would be nice that synth wise the JP-80 sounds like a JP-80.. if you want a D50 sound ..get one :)
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

V-CeeOh wrote:
No question in my mind it's true, I just don't have my VC-1 or the manual available at the moment to verify it.

If Roland has posted the manual as a download, you can confirm it that way.

The difference is subtle, but if you pick one of the simpler sounds and then switch back and forth, you'll detect it.

Anyways, tangent to this thread at this point, except that yes, it might be interesting to have an option that would "model the degradation of older converters" or something like that for true analog purists.

OTOH I think we're reaching a point where that goal is increasingly irrelevant....
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

OTOH I think we're reaching a point where that goal is increasingly irrelevant....
Exactly!