Lack of posts a sign?

Forum for JUPITER-80
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Lack of posts a sign?

Post by Artemiy »

Fans are a necessity but only because the modern processor engineering is way behind computational power demands. Or, mostly is.

Look at Apple iPad 2 - dual core 1 GHz, no fans. You can run a decent workstation there. Mind you, my dual core 1.83 GHz eats Fantom-G or Kronos for lunch. I think very soon we will have a dual core 1.5 to 2.0 GHz without a need for a fan (perhaps these do exist already).

BTW I do find fans as well as hard drives, as any extra noise, annoying. That is why I enjoy my iPad more than my iMac, just because I am more relaxed. I wish one day my desktop can also be fan-less.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Artemiy wrote:Fans are a necessity but only because the modern processor engineering is way behind computational power demands. Or, mostly is.

Look at Apple iPad 2 - dual core 1 GHz, no fans. You can run a decent workstation there. Mind you, my dual core 1.83 GHz eats Fantom-G or Kronos for lunch. I think very soon we will have a dual core 1.5 to 2.0 GHz without a need for a fan (perhaps these do exist already).

BTW I do find fans as well as hard drives, as any extra noise, annoying. That is why I enjoy my iPad more than my iMac, just because I am more relaxed. I wish one day my desktop can also be fan-less.
Fully agree with Art, and with electronic equipment without fans the World would be much better, not only because the noise they generate, but also the pollution (have you ever seen a computer fan after a while? seen that thin powder? very dangerous to our health !!!
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

I'm very amused by all the responses, thanks! :)

Bentley?! Hell no, I drive a BMW M3 with the $5,000 tuned exhaust (joke)!

Seriously, despite all the flexibility of the software on my PC (and Macbook Pro, which has a MUCH quieter fan, but it's still there), the fan noise is the one thing that drives me completely away from it (and the MBP) when I'm engaged in music for my own pleasure (which is the main reason I do it, as the saying goes, I've kept my day job, or at least keep trying to....). And yes, seriously, I don't even want rain falling outside when I'm really trying to get into the sound.

And no, I'm completely familiar with the fact that you don't lose any of that noise floor in recording, that was a rather astonishing assumption. I'm talking about in a quiet room, sometimes with headphones on, sometimes not. Late at night is good when everyone else is asleep.

If you don't understand going there, that's fine; I live in a different world from you, clearly, and that's apparently more ok with me than it is with you, mojkarma, whom I suspect to be in your 20's? I'd guess? :)

Anyways, Peace Out,

rt
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

seen that thin powder? very dangerous to our health !!!
You have already breath this in before it got to your fan..
any accumulation on the fan or inside the pc is a direct result of the air pollution in your location.
Have you ever opened a pc that was owned by a heavy smoker?
WOW!! its like disgusting..
But what is there has be put there by the USER not a by-product of the computer.
So it is our-self that is bad for our health not the computer.
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

The lack of posts doesn't mean anything. At the Kronos forum, it's just the same people that keep posting. Or, some other people post problems with their Kronos.

As for the fan, the SoS reviewer pointed out that it was loud. There are many posts about the loud fan at the Kronos forum. A friend has a Kronos and to me the fan is loud (much louder than my quad core PC). IIRC, the fan's noise level is 40-50db. A quality fan has a noise level of < 18dB. The Kronos fan must be a cheap one.

I would possibly buy a Kronos if Korg offered a synth action version of the Kronos 73. The Fatar-made RH3 weighted action used for the Kronos is not reliable.
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

The RH3 Action is not made by Fatar. It's made by Korg.
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

Fan noise is also an artefact of size as well as quality. I've replaced all the smaller fans on my PC and it's a little bit quieter as a result, still not the floor of absolute silence I like to concentrate in when making music, though. By necessity the fan in the Kronos would have to be smaller, hence noisier, regardless of quality.
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

The RH3 Action is not made by Fatar. It's made by Korg.
Korg doesn't have a manufacturing facility for weighted keys (Nowadays Korg does build their own synth action keys).

The RH3 is made by Fatar specially for Korg.
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

I built all of my 3 PCs (one have a quad core CPU and the other two has an i5 dual core) because I absolutely hate noise. Unless I glue my ear to the case, I don't hear noise. You just need to use high quality noise damping cases, noise damping HDD mounts, silent power supplies and ultra quiet fans.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Chrisk-K wrote:I built all of my 3 PCs (one have a quad core CPU and the other two has an i5 dual core) because I absolutely hate noise. Unless I glue my ear to the case, I don't hear noise. You just need to use high quality noise damping cases, noise damping HDD mounts, silent power supplies and ultra quiet fans.
sure... like my iMAC :-)