Lack of posts a sign?

Forum for JUPITER-80
theshinenz

Lack of posts a sign?

Post by theshinenz »

Just an observation but the Kronos forum over on korgforums.com is swarming with activity yet this forum seems very quiet, is this a sign of what the success of each instrument will be? No excitement for the j80?, I think Roland should have waited and put out the j80 as a full blown workstation to compete with Kronos on a similar level.
secret Roland agent

Re: Lack of posts a sign?

Post by secret Roland agent »

We have posts!! This is a painting my girlfriend Bernice did of me standing next to one!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

What is JP-80???
jabberwocky

Post by jabberwocky »

What is Roland???
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

What's a secret agent???
markWar

Post by markWar »

I haven't seen a Kronos is real life, but I read in some review that THEY HAVE A FAN built into them. A fan. So you get up in the middle of the night, switch on the Kronos, wait three or four minutes for it to boot-up, and then you listen to the fan hum while you're deciding between a GM7 or a Bm7 ...
donutninja

Post by donutninja »

Personally, I express my excitement for an instrument by actually buying one, not by posting about how the color scheme doesn't match my socks, or that they should've named it after a different planet (Uranus 1 maybe) to preserve the sanctity of the Jupiter name.
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

Personally, I'm a hobbyist musician who posts on the Internet only when I have brief periods where I'm excruciatingly bored with life, or ill, and don't have enough energy to do anything even slightly more interesting.

So yeah, not going to spend a lot of free time filling up forums with rabid fan rabbit noise. :)
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

the lack of posts is simply a sign that there is nothing to talk about at the moment.

this is like Watership Down.. you read the book, you saw the movie, now you wait to eat the stew :)
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

and, in the Korgforums, potential users are posting questions and *gasp* Korg employees post answers, thereby generating customer appreciation, new discussion and ongoing interest.

i hear crickets....
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

markWar wrote:I haven't seen a Kronos is real life, but I read in some review that THEY HAVE A FAN built into them. A fan. So you get up in the middle of the night, switch on the Kronos, wait three or four minutes for it to boot-up, and then you listen to the fan hum while you're deciding between a GM7 or a Bm7 ...
Great observation!
Congratulations.
Kurzweil instruments use a fan since 1990.
It seems they went almost bankrupt because the people cound't hear the fan in the middle of the night anymore.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

The fan brings up some interesting issues. They need to be cleaned periodocally. Can we get to the fan; can it be replaced by the user; does the Kronos monitor the speed & give an error if it fails? How long can Kronos continue to operate should the fan fail? Can I get thru my gig? Sorry you don't understand but there is concern the $5 fan can bring my Kronos 88 to a halt.

Fractal Axe FX has noticeable fan noise. Users have had to fabricate noise reducers and slower fans to bring ambient fan noise to an acceptable level. Last thing I want is Kronos fan + Axe FX fan while trying to listen & record.

Does JP80 have a internal fan?
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

The fan has already been discussed at the Korg forum. According to some information, it's barely audible. I can hardly hear the fan in my Macbook.
It's a new information to me that fans have to be cleaned periodically. I have never done that on any of my computer, and some of them run in a really really dusty environment.
I'm not trying to diminish everyone's concerns, but pointing the fan on the Kronos out here as a potential problem is IMHO just ridiculous.
Every single professional speaker amplifier has fans. So, what happens on the gig if they fail? What happens if there is no power at all or it goes down?
There is no need to worry about every single potential disaster scenario.
b3keys

Post by b3keys »

No, it is NOT a sign! Kronos is set to release later in May - June. Korg is demoing Kronos now in select cities with "Kronos Parties."

The JP-80 isn't slated to be released until July - September. Patience is a virtue!
theshinenz

Post by theshinenz »

interesting, bringing up the fan though is clutching at straws considering everything Kronos offers, but as play live this is no issue anyway...I enjoy reading up about new products and usually visit both sites daily to see if there are any new videos or info on each machine, at this stage I am definitely getting a Kronos 73, but I hope soon Roland brings out some more demos either of sounds or functionality of the j80. I am not biased towards any particular brand but the more I watch the demos of Kronos the more i want one, I think Roland could create some excitement for the product if they did more in this area.