brand new june 30 video

Forum for JUPITER-80
RKfan

Re: brand new june 30 video

Post by RKfan »

Nice vids but - apart from the Flamenco Guitar - which I really liked in the first video the Jupiter is not really for me . I think it sounds great if you want to emulate real instruments - its fabulous - but I (personally) want a synth to make synth sounds. We haven't really been shown anything like that apart from some of the stuff which Howard Jones did. So I am thinking that my next purchase (keeping the Juno-G) is going to be a Kronos.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

I heard plenty of synth sounds in the second video. Great video btw Roland! IMO the sounds in this demo are a step above anything I've heard on the web from Kronos. Roland clearly wants to demo the acoustic side of the Jupiter that's the new stuff. We already know what a 2 osc VA patch sounds like. What still seems to be missing is organ & electric pianos from their demos. Hopefully they are coming soon. Guitars sound good the tone generator sounds great the real trick is playing a part that sounds like a guitar. Heard some nice strums but the big chords at the end were a little annoying. Well damn you Roland I'm even more excited about Jupiter :)
Melodialworks

Post by Melodialworks »

RKfan wrote:I think it sounds great if you want to emulate real instruments - its fabulous - but I (personally) want a synth to make synth sounds.
Actually that is the point of the Jupiter-80! To emulate acoustic sounds!
fantomCK

Post by fantomCK »

its odd ....but after seeing those videos......i really want one......if i buy, it will be my 17th roland......i am a roland head.......no dout....CK
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Hey fantomCK, thanks for the links!

I like both videos, they are a good example of various performance ideas and capabilities and they showoff what I have come to expect from this synth, great sound!!!

I think the musician (Jimmy Kresic) in the first video put more effort into his performance personality wise, and that often increases the odds that the audience will feel the performer is enjoying his or her presentation and the tools being used.

The second video with Adrian Marsi is more of a technical performance in my opinion, showing off some of Jupiter’s many expressive capabilities as well as a few interesting synth capabilities. The song he played seems to share his character, technical and focusing more on technique than effort to convey feelings. I do agree with Devnor, Adrian did overdo it with the guitars at the end, nevertheless, it’s still a good technical performance.

Both good for different reasons, nice work guys!!!

I said it before, this thing sounds like a well crafted piece of Awesome!!! Can’t wait to get the full live experience!
keysme

Post by keysme »

Great sounds no doubt about it. This instrument is looking more and more like a solo performer's dream come true. If you just want to play the keyboard without the need of an internal sequencer or sampling capability or the need for additional sounds through expansion then this is really your best choice in my opinion. The acoustic sounds are absolutely stunning, at least the ones we've heard so far anyway.

Also, the ability to have rhythm backing and arpeggiator accompaniment gives the feel of a whole band or orchestra at one's fingertips. It kind of reminds me of an arranger keyboard type concept, albeit, most arrangers have internal sequencers (which the JP-80 doesn't have) and some arrangers even have samplers and also expansion capability (again, which the JP-80 does NOT have). It's almost as if Roland knowingly, or unknowingly, made the JP-80 as a replacement for the aging G70 flagship arranger keyboard. Except like I said without a Sequencer, (the G70 didn't have a Sampler but did have expansion capability) or no intro's or endings or "Styles" as a dedicated accompaniment tool. Albeit, you can import midi's to use as 'styles' on the JP-80 (although without the complexity you would find on Styles on the G70, for instance) but nonetheless interesting.

Again, my hope is that Roland will at some point offer a workstation version of the JP-80 that will also have an internal Sequencer, Sampler and Expansion capability. Until they do I'll just hang on to my Fantom G7. But if Roland decides to "nix" production of further workstation keyboards in the future then no doubt a mass exodus will occur within the rank and file of devoted Roland fans who seek all-in-one solutions for their keyboard needs. Only true workstation keyboards provide that all-in-one solution which unfortunately the Jupiter-80 falls flat and completely short of. But as a solo performer live performance "tool" I think the JP-80 is probably the best available option out there right now. A great tool for those who just want to play the thing and not have to worry about features like an internal Sequencer, Sampler, or Expansion capability. Just turn it on and start playing. When it actually becomes available that is. ;)

PS: A little rumor mill tidbit. I heard that Roland is indeed in the process of making a "workstation" version of the JP-80 that could possibly be released as soon as winter NAMM '12. Just a rumor mind you so take it with a grain of salt. A boulder sized grain of salt it should be noted too, because the source is vague and limited at this point. Nonetheless, if true, shouts of hallelujah and rejoicing will be heard shortly thereafter. :) Which could potentially "blow" the Kronos clean out of the water even as massive amounts of potential customers then jump ship and swim over to the greener shores of Roland and company - leaving Korg, Yamaha and/or Kurzweil to fend for themselves with their inferior products that can't hold a candle to Roland's new Flagship workstation waiting in the wings and makes Godzilla look wimpy by comparison. lol >> Or so the most beautiful dream imaginable which then comes true upon awakening goes anyway. ;) Now that would be a beautiful dream huh. :) We'll see...
keysme

Post by keysme »

I wanted to say also that my personal opinion regarding a workstation version of the JP-80 being released would be more on the timeline of winter NAMM '13 or possibly Musikmesse '13. I kind of doubt Roland would release a workstation version after only a six month period of the JP-80 being on the market. Roland would probably want to rake in as much money as they can on JP-80 proceeds so as to recoup R&D and obtain a handsome profit in the process (hopefully). After Roland gauges how well the JP-80 is received by the public then they will probably proceed with caution in releasing the workstation version so as not to hinder JP-80 sales. Although the JP-80 is marketed as a Synth keyboard and as such it is in a different category as a workstation keyboard. So a quick release of the workstation version could be considered a viable option by Roland because they are complementing each other as opposed to competing against one another. Or so the theory goes anyway. ;)
DJ RAZZ

Post by DJ RAZZ »

When it comes to Roland I could see either or happening. But how much more expense will the public allow?