Duh! I mean: no editing of acoustic tones?!?

Forum for JUPITER-80
Devnor

Re: Duh! I mean: no editing of acoustic tones?!?

Post by Devnor »

In the same vein: "If real analogue was any good, korg and roland would still be producing the Jupiter and the Polysix, and instead they dumped them. This means those synths were not so good after all".
That might make some sense except we are in the computer age. Nobody is making Jupiter 8 style boards. I don't understand your need for such a shitty attitude and all the personal insults. Guess being on the Internet gives you that right and all that experience playing "major studio solos" in front of your bathroom mirror has empowered you as such. Grow up a little and if you still wanna discuss the Jupiter I'll still be here.
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Hi guys!

I’m becoming more and more impressed with the Jupiter-80 as I continue reading through the various user guides (I normally read through synth documents several times before buying). And there are many impressive details contained within (such as the ability to playback high quality 24 bit 96khz WAV files, shift key shortcuts etc) that humbly support features that receive the majority of criticism or earn the unit praise as a whole.

I always appreciate it when a synth manufacturer has the ability to successfully incorporate supporting features with those that strongly define the units purpose in a way that gives all it’s features greater value-it appears Roland has accomplished just that at this point!

Speaking of supporting features, In my study of this amazing synth I ran across a note cornering the Tone Blender that relates to my pervious statements.

Roland states the following on page 36 of the parameter guide…
Roland Parameter guide wrote:Parameter Value Explanation

Pan (Destination Pan) L64–0–63R
Cutoff (Destination Cutoff) *2 -64– +63
Reso (Destination Resonance) *2 -64– +63
Attack (Destination Attack) *2 -64– +63
Decay (Destination Decay) *7 -64– +63
Release (Destination Release) *2 -64– +63
MFX1 (Destination MFX1 Send) 0–127
MFX2 (Destination MFX2 Send) 0–127
MFX3 (Destination MFX3 Send) 0–127
MFX4 (Destination MFX4 Send) 0–127
Rev (Destination Reverb Send) 0–127

*2 This has no effect on the SuperNATURAL acoustic tones Concert Grand (0001)–Honky-tonk (0009) and TW Organ (0028). Also, the effect may be difficult to notice for some SuperNATURAL acoustic tones.

*7 This has no effect on SuperNATURAL acoustic tones other than Vibraphone (0026), Marimba (0027), Timpani (0049), Steel Drums (0077), APS Vibraphone (0078), APS Marimba (0079), APS Timpani (0094), and APS Steel Drums (0117).
So it should be noted that the parameters above will cause distinct alterations according to the SuperNATURAL acoustic instrument selected (not PCM waves or synth tones as they will receive the full effect of the parameters).

And I emphasize that my statement above strictly relates to Tone Blender. As mentioned earlier, each SuperNATURAL acoustic instrument also has it’s own instrument defined editing parameters that the user may adjust as well as a host of parameters that are intuitively adjusted by Jupiter-80’s computer in relation to the users input, thus keeping this highly advanced system user friendly and straightforward.

I would imagine that this was done to aid in the Jupiter-80’s purpose and makes it possible to be very spontaneous when performing live and in real-time, allowing one to manipulate synth sounds and create awesome sonic textures in an extremely powerful and user-friendly way while keeping (if one wishes) a primary SuperNATURAL acoustic instrument (with only adjustments that aid in sonic harmony) as the focus of his or her performance and sonic masterpiece!

It’s brilliant! And something I did not consider before reading a larger portion of the owners manual and getting a greater understanding of the Jupiter-80’s propose.

Awesome work Roland and a very good call!

I do believe that it would be of some small benefit to Roland to include information on their main websites concerning Tone Blender’s parameter details, similar to what I wrote directly below the Tone Blender parameter quote above. That way, those who do not read the manual before they buy will have a better understanding of it’s purpose.

So far, things look outstanding concerning the user guide phase of my buying process! There are a ton of possibilities for someone like myself with deep knowledge of synth technology and a passion for live performance. And there is enough potential in the Jupiter-80 to keep users of any level intrigued for a longtime to come!

Off to see what else I can discover!

Amazing One.
ozy

Post by ozy »

mojkarma wrote: The concept of the keyboard is not being a deep synthesizer If the JP80 doesn't do what you want, it's simply not the right tool for you (as it is not for me because of other reasons).
That was exactly my point at the beginning,

Except I said “I’ll give a try nonetheless” before deciding it’s not what I want.

Then the usual fanboy revolt followed, but that totally missed the point.
Devnor wrote:That might make some sense except we are in the computer age. I don't understand your need for such a shitty attitude […] playing "major studio solos" in front of your bathroom mirror […] Grow up a little and if you still wanna discuss the Jupiter I'll still be here.
Charming.

Very “grown up”.