this was done on J-80...wow...way cool

Forum for JUPITER-80
Amazing One

Re: this was done on J-80...wow...way cool

Post by Amazing One »

That adds a bit of fuel to the fire!

Great song with a nice eighties early nineties feel! Awesome, thanks for the heads-up fantomCK!
DJ RAZZ

Post by DJ RAZZ »

Guys this really cool
b3keys

Post by b3keys »

It was very cool. Unfortunately, it wasn't completed using a JP-80. The JP-80 was used as a picture only to go with the 80s theme. Sorry to burst your bubble
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Hi b3keys!
b3keys wrote:It was very cool. Unfortunately, it wasn't completed using a JP-80. The JP-80 was used as a picture only to go with the 80s theme. Sorry to burst your bubble
Your statement appears to contradict the one made by the author, but I won’t draw a conclusion concerning intent until you respond.

How do you know the piece was not created (at least the majority of it) with the Jupiter-80? I see nothing on the authors page to suggest such a thing, nor did he deny the sensible assumption that the song was created using the Jupiter-80 when such comments were made by viewers.

The following is a quote from the author of the song..(located in the info/show more section)
Soleilfreak wrote:Enjoy my composition!

By the way, those who gave up their search for the classic Roland Jupiter-8 will be delighted with the enhanced Jupiter-80.)
If he did not compose the majority of that song with the Jupiter-80 then he is being very misleading.

Furthermore, the Jupiter-80 most certainly would have no problem with that piece (being basic synth sounds), and as far as I can tell it’s suited for just about any style of music. The song in question is an excellent old school song and can inspire creativity for those who wish to compose such music but it’s certainly not groundbreaking as far as sound choice and creation is concerned.

Whatever the case may be, the song is nice but I’m not sure why anyone would play such childish games of deceit, should that be the case cornering this matter.
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

Btw to add some useful info in the midst of these shenanigans: look up "musictrackjp" on YouTube. This guy is a lot of fun to watch, demos lots of synths, will no doubt get to JP-80, and is clearly both a good synthesize as well as a good musician on top of being a cheerful soul.

If anyone at Roland is reading this: they should send him a JP-80 ASAP. :)
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Hey b3keys, thanks for clearing things up!
you tube conversation between Soleilfreak and Jmwu2ube wrote:Jmwu2ube: Hi! Great song! cool sounds! What gear did you use to complete this?

Soleilfreak : @jmwu2ube I always rely on the Yamaha DX-7, Korg M-1, Roland Jupiter-8 and Roland D-50 plus ~ 100 different drum kits I have and some effects I simply program like many of my soundbanks and patches. ;)
I’m strongly inclined to believe you as Soleilfreak seems to give vague responses to questions with simple and obvious answers while at the same time neglecting to confirm viewers assumptions. It all reeks of fraudulent behavior and personally I feel Roland has more than enough talented musicians who are more than competent in their ability to create 80’s music and could do without rewarding this guy for being dishonest. I do not believe Soleilfreak’s intent was all bad- and he seems like a decent enough guy, maybe he tried a Jupiter-80 and got caught up in the moment…

Whatever the case may be-move along JP-80 spectators, this Soleilfreak aka Professor Zonic Zynth pres has defiled the sacred synth code of conduct and brings dishonor upon himself. ;-)

But still, how b3keys managed to see through Soleilfreak's deceit and bypass sensible reason remains a mystery. ;-)
b3keys

Post by b3keys »

It's not a mystery. I have good ears and know my 80s sounds very, very well! :)
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

b3keys wrote:It's not a mystery. I have good ears and know my 80s sounds very, very well! :)
I see…lol!

We’ll just call it a matter of opinion coupled with a strong passion to divulge aspirations of personal interest ;-)

Unless of course, you are suggesting that you can tell the difference between an eighties analog sound recorded with various modern-day computers, soundcards and programs (and can therefore identify the brand name and model of each audio component) and the very same eighties analog sound played back from the computer and audio equipment contained in modern-day workstations and synthesizers.

Either way, the point is that the eighties analog sound is recorded and played back on modern day computer equipment, therefore, the sound is not being heard from the original source and is therefore a static reproduction of the recorded sound.

And because you have not had an opportunity to study and experience deep details concerning the Jupiter-80’s capabilities first hand, you have absolutely no way of knowing it’s potential to recreate sound nor do you know the length of it’s recorded PCM waves.

Furthermore, the potential of a synthesizers sound creating ability, as defined by it’s propose and features, is limited to the synth users skill and imagination.

So, even if you could hear the differences between eighties analog sounds recreated on various analog synths from the eighties and pinpoint a spacfic model when hearing the synth in person, the song in question uses waves recoded with a computer and audio equipment much like the gear in modern synthesizers, making them a static reproduction of the recorded sound. And you have no way of knowing deep firsthand details concerning the Jupiter-80.

In short, your claim lacks sound reason and is therefore irrelevant.
b3keys

Post by b3keys »

O Amazing One,
My response was a bit tongue-in-cheek English, dry wit humor.

There is no way that the piece could have come from a JP-80 because:
1. The Jupiter-80 hasn't shipped yet.
2. The only people currently possessing Jupiter-80s currently work for Roland.
3. The Roland demonstrators are showing the keyboard at trade shows or demoing it at music stores (Germany, Australia).
4. The Roland demonstrators clearly show off the JP-80 in their videos. The You Tube poster just showed a picture that is available on the Roland website.

Or I just had a lucky guess!

Relax and enjoy music. Your forthcoming and overdue apology is accepted.
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

b3keys wrote:My response was a bit tongue-in-cheek English, dry wit humor.

There is no way that the piece could have come from a JP-80 because:
1. The Jupiter-80 hasn't shipped yet.
2. The only people currently possessing Jupiter-80s currently work for Roland.
3. The Roland demonstrators are showing the keyboard at trade shows or demoing it at music stores (Germany, Australia).
4. The Roland demonstrators clearly show off the JP-80 in their videos. The You Tube poster just showed a picture that is available on the Roland website.

Or I just had a lucky guess!

Relax and enjoy music. Your forthcoming and overdue apology is accepted.
Apology?…. I am relaxed, but it can be hard to judge tone through text in many cases. I did not intend to offend you at all nor do I see anything in my pervious post that I feel is outside the boundaries of friendly online debating behavior. But in the interest of keeping harmony with members here (and I do believe that is more important than wining a debate in many cases), you should know that there was no harm intended and I will seek a less aggressive tone (I’ve been in a lot of debates, call it force of habit ..lol).

The reasons you gave above are a lot more sensible.

I could buy those (though it would have been good to make such claims to start with)…

But I will say that we have no way of knowing who Roland will lend a Jupiter-80 to (such as various sound designers-Artemiy for example or the guys from various keyboard magazines, popular musicians or you tube celebrities). And there are a number of audio tracks from the Jupiter-80 on the internet

But as I said, I agree with you concerning this video and the matter is nothing I wish to raise to a level that could cause future ill feelings.

We’ll just call it luck..:-)

Cheers!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

This track is very cool indeed - but only if you're stuck in 1985.
b3keys

Post by b3keys »

Amazing One,

There are no ill feelings.

My original intent was to only inform forum members that the music wasn't completed using a Jupiter-80. There were already posts and excitement about the music being created on a JP-80, which, as it turns out wasn't the case. It is still a cool piece of 80s style music.

I wasn't expecting my "alert" to turn into a debate. And I must say,
In short, your claim lacks sound reason and is therefore irrelevant.
IS harsh.

Regardless, the matter is now closed. I, like you, and many others here, am looking forward to checking out the Jupiter-80 when it is available. At first, I didn't know what to think about this keyboard, but from the videos that are available, the JP-80 sounds amazing.

Take care.
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Hi b3keys!

If you search the web for various forums you will see that nothing I said falls outside the boundaries of civilized debating etiquette. As I said, emotional tone, expression and personality can be hard to determine through text. For example: perhaps you have read post from various members on a forum. And then upon seeing one of the aforementioned members in a video, you discovered that he or she was nothing like the character you perceived from their text.

It can be very hard to judge sometimes..

My quote in your statement above came from a post that started as follows…
Amazing One wrote:I see…lol!
I did not go from that to becoming progressively pissed off with intentions of offending you with my quote in your statement above?

In a debate, an apology can indicate many things, none of which I feel are fair to me should I give you one. You may of had no intentions on debating but you did, and many debaters would have been content with the conclusion in my third post, nothing negative was implied there and people had no reason to assume you did not obtain your knowledge from the author of the song or by way of some other sensible method, but you took things a step further with your response to my post and made claims (or joked) about a scenario that strongly lacks sound logic and implies (even if it was not your intent) that seasoned professionals like myself and others who have been playing music as well as creating sounds and mixing them for years lacks some otherworldly gift which you alone possess to determine the source of a sound through use of static audio in a you tube video even without knowing the necessary details to make such a judgment.

So yes, your claim did lack sound logic and came off as a bit arrogant from my view, but as I said, the matter is nothing I wish to take to a level that could potentially cause future I’ll feelings.

I did not go all out with you in this debate because I do not believe that you consider yourself a harden debater nor did I see a reason to with such a small matter. I think I was fair here and it’s rare for me to end a debate without making my argument so strong that it would be extremely difficult for anyone to reason it away, at least as far as I can tell.

There are many elements to a debate and one can obtain a win in various categories, this is starting to move into the area of moral injustice, from my view the matter is settled with no hard feeling at all and I look forward to future discussions with you..

This whole debate had a friendly tone on my part. I feel I said what was fair concerning the matter in my pervious post, I hope you will accept that as fair to both of us.
theshinenz

Post by theshinenz »

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn......