audioird

Re: roland released new audio and video

Post by audioird »

cool
thx
RKfan

Post by RKfan »

Just listened to some of the audio files to see what the synth sounds are like.

I think there is some promise here, some quite excellent sounds but I guess they are an add-on to SuperNatural which is fine if you want to emulate other instruments.... I still dont get it.
Luconia

Post by Luconia »

interesting..but i think the supersaw could be better!
it's the only thing i'm interested honestly...
some demo that i liked were the brass hold & sweep, quando arpeggio, penthasonic 1 & the stacked lead..which i believe can be recreated in the Fantom G after some proper programming)

just my 2 cents
theshinenz

Post by theshinenz »

Luconia wrote:interesting..but i think the supersaw could be better!
it's the only thing i'm interested honestly...
some demo that i liked were the brass hold & sweep, quando arpeggio, penthasonic 1 & the stacked lead..which i believe can be recreated in the Fantom G after some proper programming)

just my 2 cents
I agree, the supersaw sucked, my motif xf does a better supersaw, i was really hoping it would be strong in this area like the jp8000 is.
Amazing One

Post by Amazing One »

Chrisk-K wrote:I'll probably buy a JP-80 because it simply looks stunning. But I still don't understand behavioral modelling.
Amazing One wrote:Also, the recent videos with Scott Tibbs (the demonstrator in the sound example videos found at Roland U.S) controlling various elements of the sound with a foot controller should be noted (and as stated in my pervious post, one can set various controllers such as knobs, D Beam, S1, S2, control pedal ports and I believe aftertouch up the way they wish).
I've watched those videos. My understanding of behavioral modelling is that the JP-80 will sense the player's playing and interpret it into some predetermined musical articulation. I didn't see it in the videos. Tibbs merely used controllers. In fact, I can do what Tibbs did on my Juno Stage although the JP-80 sounds better. I've yet to see evidence that the JP-80 allows the player to be more expressive, compared to other synths augmented with controllers.
Instrument specific techniques such as slides, pizzicato, slaps, brass fall etc are only part of the possible character changes. The reason why many of the instruments sound so amazing is because they possess many of the elements present in an acoustic instrument when you change dynamics or play speed etc. Being familiar with the acoustic instrument in question really helps paint a clear picture of what’s going on.

Listen to Scott play the violin in this video, but don’t listen to the big changes in sound such as pizzicato when he uses the pedal, listen to how the nuances occur, they are not simply softer and darker ,louder and brighter versions of the same sound due to the typical effect created by a cutoff filter.

The sound changes in a way that is characteristic of the instrument being played.

Notice when the video starts, Scott plays softly, the sound is low in volume but still rich with detail, not degraded to the muffled moan (in comparison) you will hear in many traditional synthesizers. Notice how the character of the violin changes when Scott uses the modulation lever (around the 6 second mark), the sound did not just get louder and brighter, it changed, becoming coarse as if the musician was playing with aggression. Notice how the character of the violin progresses when Scott plays harder then softer, having smooth changes in character.

Take note of how the sound of the violin becomes more fluid when Scott plays rapid notes around the 26 second mark and then the notes begin to flutter and embrace one another when he holds down the D key and rapidly pushes the C key around the 32 second mark, a controller was not applied, the Jupiter-80 automatically simulates a violins legato sound then goes back to normal at Scott's command, but not with the push of a button or controller, all he did was play the keys, finally, listen to what happens when Scott runs up the keys near the end, the same keys he played rapidly earlier, but now he plays faster, notice the harmonics created between the notes and the details contained within.

Now listen for all the nuances and character changes in the other instruments, also note the slides when grace notes are played with various instruments (like the flute). Scott did not hit the key harder to bring the slide sound in, he just played it faster.

The videos where just a taste of Jupiter-80’s expressive potential, it will adapt to your particular style.

Hope that helps!

Edit.
en76

Post by en76 »

ok this thing sound awesome! just what i need and expect on keys to sound like lol! definitely worth it. now what next? :-)