APs/EPs on the JP 80 vs 700nx

Forum for JUPITER-80
WorknMan

APs/EPs on the JP 80 vs 700nx

Post by WorknMan »

I've had a chance to demo the 700nx, but haven't ran across the JP 80 yet, and I'm wondering if the APs/EPs on the JP 80 are the same ones as the nx? If so, can they be customized the same way?

I was just curious because some guy on Pianoworld.com said they sounded the same to him. This seems plausible to me, since they both use Roland's 'SuperNatural' tech.

If this is true, then I guess the only two advantages to buying the nx over the JP 80 would be a lower price tag and weighted keys.
Mystic38

Re: APs/EPs on the JP 80 vs 700nx

Post by Mystic38 »

Well..they are two completely different instruments.. They should sound the same as you suggest on ap and ep, though I would expect the nc to sound better on the piano simply due to the weighted keys.

If you want a piano that has some synth spunds then the nx is for you.. If you want a synth that has a decent piano patch the the jp80 is it.. But don't ever expect the nx to sound anything like the jp80 as a synth.. It is a sampled waveform rompler with limited edit capability while the jp80 is a VA synth.
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

If APs/EPs on the JP80 are indeed the same as those on the 700NX, I'll absolutely buy the JP80.
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

The sound should be the same. To me it seems that the JP80 has far less parameters to change the e.piano. In fact, only one single parameter (key off volume). The e. piano on the RD700NX however is more comparable to the e. piano card with all parameter accessible for creating the sound you wish.
I suggest you to look into the rd700nx manual on page 51. There are about 10 parameters for the e.piano vs. 1 on the JP80.

If piano is your focus, you should go for the rd, since the keys are better suited for playing piano tunes. Another interesting thing is that on the RD there are two insert effects per part. Regarding the effects you have more choice to create the sound you like.
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

I'd drive the JP-80 from my Clavinova CLP-150, which has been serving me well for more than 9 years. I'm very impressed with the SN piano of the 700NX, but I just love Yamaha's graded hammer action.
Bruce Lychee

Post by Bruce Lychee »

I was that person on pianoworld.

I just came back form the Scott Tibbs clinic with a Jupiter in hand. I also happen to have the Kronos 88.

Having played the 700NX quite a bit I am pretty sure the underlying sounds are the same. The difference is that in the Jupiter the tweakable parameters are fewer. In the case of the EPs it is 1.

I am just setting up my Jupiter but the in store demo pretty much reconfirmed my feeling that I prefer the pianos and EPs on my Kronos. The rest of the sounds on the Jupiter are quite amazing and were definitely compelling enough for me to buy the Jupiter.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

Bruce Lychee wrote:Having played the 700NX quite a bit I am pretty sure the underlying sounds are the same. The difference is that in the Jupiter the tweakable parameters are fewer.
The 700NX has three SN acoustic pianos, "Concert," "Studio," and "Brilliant," each with a number of variations. Which of these seem to be in the Jupiter 80?

Comparing which SN pianos are in which Roland product is very confusing. In terms of main piano patches...

The Jupiter 80 has a patch called "Concert Grand" and then Grand Piano 1, 2, and 3.
The FP-4F and FP-7F have Grand Piano 1, 2, and 3.
The RD-300NX has Concert Grand.
The RD-700NX has Concert Grand, Studio Grand, and Brilliant Grand.

But I would not assume that the same sound could not appear under more than one of those names (i.e. a different name for the same sound on a different model), nor would I assume that a given name equates to the same sound on different models. Over on the pianoworld forum, they seem quite sure that RD-700NX Concert Grand is the same as FP-7F Grand Piano 1... and if that's the case, the fact that the Jupiter 80 includes patches with both of those names would imply that, at least in one of those two cases, the sound is not the same as the same-named sound elsewhere.

I don't know why Roland has to make this so opaque!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

anotherscott wrote:
I don't know why Roland has to make this so opaque!
Marketing strategy ?
b3keys

Post by b3keys »

Related: how do the ap/eps on the JP compare to the srx boards for the fantom x series?
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

b3keys wrote:Related: how do the ap/eps on the JP compare to the srx boards for the fantom x series?
There is at least one major difference: the SRX/Fantom pianos are traditionally sampled, they don't have the modeled ("supernatural") elements of the JP, so there is looping, and timbre shifts at specific velocity points. The difference is demonstrated pretty nicely in this video, starting at about the 4 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et5hgaJBExs
JuneauUnderground

Post by JuneauUnderground »

anotherscott wrote:
b3keys wrote:Related: how do the ap/eps on the JP compare to the srx boards for the fantom x series?
There is at least one major difference: the SRX/Fantom pianos are traditionally sampled, they don't have the modeled ("supernatural") elements of the JP, so there is looping, and timbre shifts at specific velocity points. The difference is demonstrated pretty nicely in this video, starting at about the 4 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et5hgaJBExs
That's a pretty Darn good demo as well, albeit Firmware ver 1.0