Jupiter 80 Audio Demos

Forum for JUPITER-80
Bruce Lychee

Jupiter 80 Audio Demos

Post by Bruce Lychee »

I'm starting this thread to highlight various features of the Jupiter 80 with audio demos. Hopefully other Jupiter owners will contribute.

The first couple of clips I put up will solely be for the purpose of highlighting features so I will use factory presets. The first one will demonstrate the tone blender:

The first registration item that comes up when you turn on the Jupiter is called Planet Jupiter. It showcases a variety of sounds and is a good way to demonstrate the tone blending feature. The board is split with Lower and Drum layered on the lower half and Upper and Solo layered on the upper half of the keyboard.

I play a basic progression so you can focus on the different sounds and the changes the tone blender causes. First time through is with no modifications. Second time through the same progression but I turn the upper tone blender around 35%. In the next part I turn the lower blender until it reaches max and add a little D-beam near the end when it sounds like your woofers are about to blow. You will then hear the tone blenders suddenly brought back to their default positions. At the end of the clip I reduce each of the 4 parts with the volume slider for each part to demonstrate how the parts are split and the difference between changing levels and using the tone blender.

I wasn't so smooth sweeping through the tone blenders but I think you will get the picture.

I used the internal WAV recorder. I will focus on some of the articulations in the next clip I put up. Unfortunately, I have been running around alot lately so things might trickle out slowly.

http://soundcloud.com/bruce-lychee/planet-jupiter

Re: Jupiter 80 Audio Demos

Post by Devnor »

Thanks for your clips.

What people are really wanting to understand is the EP and Organs sounds. Something that Tibbs doesn't like to talk about much in their videos. I've heard a static registration & they turn on the leslie. Now lets move some drawbars and does the sound morph from clean to overdriven? Does it have any chorus or vibrato and what does that sound like? Same with the EP engine...does it have any character?
Bruce Lychee

Post by Bruce Lychee »

I'm not much of an organ player so I can test anything you want but can't give a great assessment about the character of the organ sounds. Let me know if you would like me to make a particular clip.

On the EP, you can only modify one parameter. Why they set it that way I have no idea. There are a bunch of different EP sounds, but Roland EPs have never been my favorite. I had the ARX SN EPs on my G8 and was never satisfied.

I really prefer the Kronos in the area of EPs. They have great vintage character. Roland EPs always have an 80s sound to me.
Rocness

Post by Rocness »

Bruce , can do some clips of Pads showing how they sound layered up with some SN or anything with pads .
The more ambient the better . Thanks
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

I think Roland owes Bruce a lot. Without Bruce (also Ron at Korgforums), I wouldn't be seriously thinking about buying a JP-80!
Rocness

Post by Rocness »

Chrisk-K wrote:I think Roland owes Bruce a lot. Without Bruce (also Ron at Korgforums), I wouldn't be seriously thinking about buying a JP-80!
I 2nd that .
Seems there's much more to the JP-80 , that's being advertised .
looks like Roland is focusing on the supernatural sounds but forgot to tell everybody theres a kick ass synth in there to.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Rocness wrote:
Chrisk-K wrote:I think Roland owes Bruce a lot. Without Bruce (also Ron at Korgforums), I wouldn't be seriously thinking about buying a JP-80!
I 2nd that .
Seems there's much more to the JP-80 , that's being advertised .
looks like Roland is focusing on the supernatural sounds but forgot to tell everybody theres a kick ass synth in there to.
Yes it seems that there's a lot more that is not being mentioned. In fact almost all demos are showing the same sounds/effects.
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

Yes it seems that there's a lot more that is not being mentioned. In fact almost all demos are showing the same sounds/effects.
I know that the Roland president wants to focus on the SN, but the current marketing activity for the JP-80 is not right. Why not also promote its powerful VA engine that does the best recreation of classic Roland analog sounds?
Rocness

Post by Rocness »

Chrisk-K wrote:
I know that the Roland president wants to focus on the SN, but the current marketing activity for the JP-80 is not right. Why not also promote its powerful VA engine that does the best recreation of classic Roland analog sounds?
Only Roland , puts out a product focusing on one thing and have it become a cult classic years later for another reason , luv it . This is the stuff legends are made of like the TR-808 , TR-909 , and TB-303 etc.. . I'm starting to think Roland is down playing the VA synth on purpose to guarantee the jupitr-80 becoming a classic .
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Chrisk-K wrote: I know that the Roland president wants to focus on the SN, but the current marketing activity for the JP-80 is not right. Why not also promote its powerful VA engine that does the best recreation of classic Roland analog sounds?
I think you're a little late to the party and up until recently, looking in the wrong forum for correct JP 80 info. For 5-6 months Roland has been saying its a SN synth engine with modelled waves. Roland is focusing on articulation side of things because that is what's new. The single demo prepared by Scott Tibbs shows off these features extremely well.
Bruce Lychee

Post by Bruce Lychee »

I'll get to some of your requests shortly, but for now I want to turn to the SN articulations. I will address a few here, but there are several items to cover so it will take a few posts.

Articulations are triggered different ways depending on the tone being used. You really have to spend time with each tone to understand where the articulations are introduced and how they are triggered.

First, listen to the real time tone blender demo again and you will notice slight variations to the drum rythm. That would be a very basic articulation intended to give the drums a more natural expression.

http://soundcloud.com/bruce-lychee/planet-jupiter

Next, listen to the orchestral strings in the following demo. A 4 chord progression. First it is played with the damper pedal depressed between chords. This activates the articulation for the orchestral strings which causes more natural transitions through the progression. Next the chords are played without the pedal pressed.

http://soundcloud.com/bruce-lychee/song0008

Before getting to more specific instrument articulations, the next clip is a simple demonstration of articulations from a natural instrument being layered with a synth lead. The APS Ehru is the layer being used. You can hear the phrasings and basic tone of the Ehru but it isn't the full Ehru tone. This is from the stock reg. item called Outta Control and is clearly a sound designed for showing how the articulations can be introduced. The only contoller being used is the damper pedal.

http://soundcloud.com/bruce-lychee/song0032