JP 80 & Midi File Playback ???

Forum for JUPITER-80
windsmuse

JP 80 & Midi File Playback ???

Post by windsmuse »

Can the JP 80 read and play standard midi files? I was hoping to put smf files on the JP 80 usb stick but looks like it reads only audio files. Of course I can convert the midi files to audio using my Cubase 6 Halion player then playing the audio file on the JP 80 but I wanted to hear the voices of the JP 80 controlled by my smf midi songs. Looks like the JP 80 can only play four separate midi tracks at once 2 upper & 2 lower tones. Any ideas?
cello

Re: JP 80 & Midi File Playback ???

Post by cello »

The JP-80 can read SMF but in a limited way.

Remember the JP is not a sequencer/workstation like the OASYS or Kronos or such like.

The JP-80 reads SMF to import into the arpeggiator. I have had the thought that perhaps you could take a karma sequence or even a song (ie sequenced) convert either to midi and get the JP arp to play it.

Hope that helps!
mojkarma

Re: JP 80 & Midi File Playback ???

Post by mojkarma »

The answer is NO.
User arps can be imported from a smf midi file but there is no way to use the arp function to play a song.
It doesn't matter, but since it was mentioned: there are keyboards who doesn't have a sequencer and are not workstation but they still can reproduce smf songs. RD700 stage pianos from Roland are one example.