256 voice polyphony?? not as far as i can tell!

Forum for JUPITER-80
RonF

Re: 256 voice polyphony?? not as far as i can tell!

Post by RonF »

mojkarma wrote:@RonF
Have you assured that all notes you play in are at the same velocity?
A further thing comes into my mind and that is the stealing algorithm. The jp80 maybe doesn't cut of the oldest note but the quietest one. But if all notes are equally loud in that case maybe the algorithm cuts of the oldest one. That could be a reason why in some cases it doesn't cut of the first note.
I tried it a couple of ways. My original idea, for the exact reasons you elude to, was to have the FIRST voice at a velocity of 100 and all subsequent voices at a velocity of 1. Then I came to realize that the first voice was not being interrupted...which at first gave me enthusiasm! But at a velocity of 1, a voice is silent (still active, but not audible). So....I changed my sequence to have all subsequent voices after the first one with a velocity of 20, which makes a voice lightly audible. At no time was the first voice being stolen.

Then my final trial, last night anyways, was to have ALL voices at a velocity of 30. To me, this was the most telling "test". At a velocity of 30, the voices are very soft, but audible....however, as the sequence plays (each voice on an increasing pitch across the keyboard, each starting a quarter beat apart, at 75 BPM, with some duplicate pitches in the mid spectrum to allow for such a high voice count), and voices are fired one after another, you can easily hear how the output of the JP80 evolves as the db increases with building intensity. At first, its very soft and smooth; by about 25 voices its built into a typical thick saw wave pad with nominal db; by 50 voices its loud; by 64 voices its about the peak of what you would play the JP80 in normal circumstances without crossing over into clipping the output stage, and at this point, the voices are all clearly audible with no artifacts. As voices increase from here, you start to detect escalating compression in the output stage which changes the character of the resulting "wave" being output. But you can still clearly hear all the voices (because voices are pitched across the frequency spectrum, its easy to detect that the first lowest notes are still playing). Somewhere around 80 voices, something else starts to happen....but again, its not dropping the lowest (oldest) voices played. At this point, the db of the resulting output has increased past a clipping stage, and the keyboard is doing *something* to manage it....because at this point the newest notes begin to dominate the lowest/oldest notes....not steal them, mind you....but dominate them in "presence". In other words, the db of the oldest notes are being "pushed" into the background. By the time I hit 84 notes in some cases.....96 in other cases (particularly with the reverb turned off)....it is no longer reasonably detectable what is happening to the oldest notes.

The reverb thing furthers my thought that this has something to do with output compression or limiting, or the way the "system" manages over-load. As you can imagine, reverb is only adding to the db at the output stage. It is quite possible if not likely that Roland employs some kind of output limiting or other output management....but I did not detect traditional voice stealing, certainly not sequential voice stealing, and what I did hear leaves room for debate as to exactly what it is.

So....at this point all I can do is report these findings. I am not drawing any conclusions....but I can tell you this....its not like the old days when we had 36 or 48 note polyphony and you could easily test the note stealing using this type of test. When you are over 64 voices, no matter what you do, it becomes exponentially more difficult to verify the status of discrete voices. After a certain point, what I hear is the oldest notes reducing in db, not cutting off suddenly as a new note is introduced.

BTW....this is what makes this test perhaps more reliable...because when you load up 12 or more voices on one key...you are employing a more coarse escalation of voice activation (12 at a time vs 1 at a time), which may cause a jump in output....which MAY sound "more like" voice stealing (or may in fact BE voice stealing, I am not claiming it isn't at this point), at the very least it makes it harder to detect what exactly is happening.

Again....I will test further this weekend.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Just to add a little fuss to the discussion...

Reading the Parameter Guide, on page 21, it the bottom of the page we can read....

VoiceRsv (Voice Reserve) - [0-63], FULL
This setting specifies the number of voices that will be reserved for each layer when more than 128 voices are played simultaneously.

It is not possible for the settings of all layers to total an amount grater than 64. The remaining number of available voices will be displayed at (rest=). Pay attention to this readout as you make Voice Reserve settings.

128 ??? not 256? I'm confused...
Can any of the JUP-80 owners or Roland experts explain how this relates to the announced 256 ?

thanks
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

PauloF wrote: 128 ??? not 256? I'm confused...
Can any of the JUP-80 owners or Roland experts explain how this relates to the announced 256 ?
I have written about this on the previous page. I suspect that this is simply a type error in the manual. The Fantom G has the same function and the text about voice reserve is the same in the FG manual as in the jp80 manual. Roland probably copied the text from the FG manual without correcting the number to 256. And since Roland continues to communicate with their customer in the same "excellent" way as they did before, I doubt that we'll ever found out how the polyphony is implemented on the jp80.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

mojkarma wrote:
PauloF wrote: 128 ??? not 256? I'm confused...
I have written about this on the previous page. I suspect that this is simply a type error in the manual. The Fantom G has the same function and the text about voice reserve is the same in the FG manual as in the jp80 manual. Roland probably copied the text from the FG manual without correcting the number to 256. And since Roland continues to communicate with their customer in the same "excellent" way as they did before, I doubt that we'll ever found out how the polyphony is implemented on the jp80.
LOL
ozy

Post by ozy »

mojkarma wrote:since Roland continues to communicate with their customer in the same "excellent" way as they did before, I doubt that we'll ever found out how the polyphony is implemented on the jp80.
I have a humble suggestion:

Roland should outsource the production of its manuals to Korgforum users - especially trolls and "troublemakers" who post in the Roland subsection of the Korg forums: they have sharp eyes and make perfect detailed lists of features and bugs, present and future.

Korg should, of course, outsource manuals to Kurzweil aficionados who browse the Roland forum. The best technical suggestions for the Kronos, I have read on Kurzweil forums.

Kurzweil should heed advice from Yamaha users, and allow them to beta test their OSs. Kurz testers are probably the best manual writers around as of today.

Etc etc
RonF

Post by RonF »

As a follow up....I did review my 'tests' further this weekend, in an effort to either clarify or debunk my original findings. FWIW, I got nothing new....exactly the same as I wrote about in my previous post. Make of it what you will.....but I am not at all convinced of the purported 64 voice limitation per part theory, or that Voice Stealing occurs at the low polyphony count that has been previously reported in this thread. On the other hand.....I cannot conclusively prove otherwise either. We may never know exactly how Roland has implemented the polyphony in the JP80.....unless someone from Roland wants to come out and straight up tell us.
ozy

Post by ozy »

RonF wrote:I cannot conclusively prove otherwise either. We may never know exactly how xxx.....unless someone wants to come out and straight up tell us.
They will never come out. But... the truth is out there

Watermelon

Post by Watermelon »

PauloF wrote:Just to add a little fuss to the discussion...
I think the Jupiter-80 works as follows : 256 voices available at REGISTRATION level, split into 128 voices for the UPPER LIVESET and 128 for the LOWER LIVESET.
doctorrock

Post by doctorrock »

Watermelon wrote:I think the Jupiter-80 works as follows : 256 voices available at REGISTRATION level, split into 128 voices for the UPPER LIVESET and 128 for the LOWER LIVESET.
what evidence do you have for that? and what about the solo and percussion layers??
cello

Post by cello »

Watermelon wrote:
PauloF wrote:Just to add a little fuss to the discussion...
I think the Jupiter-80 works as follows : 256 voices available at REGISTRATION level, split into 128 voices for the UPPER LIVESET and 128 for the LOWER LIVESET.
Hmm. Don't think that's right. The 256 under debate is not the registration and livesets - there's many, many hundreds more than that!

The debate here is about polyphony - where you hold down one note you can have 10 'sounds' or 'voices' playing (I'm not including partials in this!). So you hold down 10 notes, you'll get 100 sounds being triggered. Roland says that you can have 256 sounds 'sounding' at the same time but some users are finding that there is note-stealing or dropping long before you get close to the 256 advertised.

As it happens for me, whether it is true or not technically, it is a non issue for me but is interesting to see if the 256 polyphony is true for all sounds or just a few of them...
CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ »

Well in true Roland speak, polyphony has always meant partials/voices in past Roland synths.
And stereo samples would count as 2.

This was the case for the D550, and XV5080 I had and have.
Watermelon

Post by Watermelon »

cello wrote: The debate here is about polyphony - where you hold down one note you can have 10 'sounds' or 'voices' playing (I'm not including partials in this!). So you hold down 10 notes, you'll get 100 sounds being triggered. Roland says that you can have 256 sounds 'sounding' at the same time but some users are finding that there is note-stealing or dropping long before you get close to the 256 advertised.

As it happens for me, whether it is true or not technically, it is a non issue for me but is interesting to see if the 256 polyphony is true for all sounds or just a few of them...
The 256 figure is true and you exacly undersood what it stands for. This figure is however split into 128 for the lower (+rhythm) and 128 for the upper (+solo), as I said earlier.

An example : take a massive VA liveset made of 4 tones, 3 partial each and a unison mode of 4. You'll have 4*3*4 = 48 oscs under each keypress. This means you can only play two notes inside a upper or lower live set. The third note will be incomplete (128-2*48=32).
RonF

Post by RonF »

be great to know what you base those "factual findings" on???
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

Well in true Roland speak, polyphony has always meant partials/voices in past Roland synths.
And stereo samples would count as 2.
Korg, Yamaha and others do the same.
keysme

Post by keysme »

Greetings to all you confused Jupiter-80 owners out there. Rest assured the confusion has nothing to do with you but has everything to do with Roland's "inability" to address this polyphony issue that is driving many of you up a wall.

This thread started back in September 2011 and obviously no one from Roland has addressed this very serious issue concerning polyphony shortcomings on the Jupiter-80. I think the reason Roland hasn't responded to this thread or their customers, is because there really is a significant "shortcoming" regarding the polyphony and how it's allocated and Roland is basically not wanting to step in the mess they created; after documenting the Jupiter-80 has 256 note polyphony, but then chose to cover-up the fact that it's limited to 64 (divided four ways) apparently. Making my Fantom G more desirable in regards to greater polyphony functionality than the Jupiter-80 is it looks like.

I'm glad I didn't fork over big bucks on this no Sampler, no Sequencer, closed system keyboard. I realize some of the sounds on it are fantastic but this is ridiculous. The fact that it apparently has serious polyphony shortcomings makes my decision to forgo on the Jupiter-80 even more satisfying too. I still have $4,000 dollars in my pocket to purchase Roland's next flagship "workstation" - if they ever resolve the polyphony issues that people are experiencing on the Jupiter-80 that is. In other words, if Roland's successor to the Fantom G has "true" 256 note polyphony "across the board" (not divvied up 4 x 64 like apparently the Jupiter-80 is) I will be happy to get one. If not, nah uh. I would look elsewhere.

I questioned the true nature of the Jupiter-80 256 polyphony before it was even released. Roland wrote in the manual that it has 256 note polyphony "depending on the system load" or something to that effect. Well now we know what "depending on the system load" really means I guess. It apparently means it's not "true" 256 note polyphony 'across the board' and apparently it's divvied up four ways and the most you can get out of any of those four ways is 64 notes. If I and others are wrong in our assumption regarding how the polyphony is distributed on the Jupiter-80 I welcome Roland's clarification on this subject.

There is apparently no dynamic allocation on the Jupiter-80 and this misrepresentation by Roland could come back to haunt them and could be considered libelous (think lawsuit) for misleading their customers and the public about the true nature of the Jupiter-80 polyphony. By the fact that the 256 note polyphony claim doesn't really add up in the real world, and consequently, is very misleading.

Sorry for being so upfront and personal about this. Roland should have intervened way back in September regarding this issue and the subsequent questions on this topic that has everybody still guessing. Roland could have cleared this issue up lickity 'split' a long time ago. Split four ways, times 64. :D lol

PS: I think the reason Roland is 'silent' on this issue is that they don't want to 'rock the boat' and negatively affect sales of the Jupiter-80. I mean c'mon. If everybody realized the Jupiter-80 had serious polyphony issues, sales would probably plummet right? If they keep people "in the dark" then a lot of people would be unaware of the polyphony limitations and would continue to purchase one. Hence the reason Roland is "mute" on this issue? Just saying.