Can the oscillators share the envelopes for AMP and Filter?

Forum for JUPITER-80
solitud

Can the oscillators share the envelopes for AMP and Filter?

Post by solitud »

In most subtractive synthesizers 2-3 oscillators share the same filter and amp envelopes. That means that I can select the waveforms of every oscillators, create a mixing ratio between them and finetune the frequencies.
Then I can route the oscillator-mix through filter and amp envelopes.

In the Jupiter 80 there are now three partials, and each has its own envelope for filter and amp.
I know that you can copy the partials. But if you subsequently e.g. want to change the release of the AMP envelope you have to do it on every of the three partials?
Is there a way or a setting that the three partials can share the same envelope of a tone?
freddie

Re: Can the oscillators share the envelopes for AMP and Filt

Post by freddie »

Hi

I don't think it's possible to share envelopes across partials. However, If you shift-select all partials, and modify the envelope it will apply to all of them.
solitud

Post by solitud »

Hi freddie,
thanks, that seems an o.k. workaround.
But what happens when the envelopes have intentionally different settings? Are the changes added as an offset value on each envelope or will all the envelopes change to the same value?
Same question goes for the oscillators.
I do not have a Jupiter 80, but I am interested in getting one, so I am curious ...
freddie

Post by freddie »

They will all be set to the same value. Envelope offset values can be adjusted at the liveset level.
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

freddie wrote:They will all be set to the same value. Envelope offset values can be adjusted at the liveset level.
I guess that was not the question. He probably asks whether the different parameters maintain their relative values if they are changed at once.
For example:
if the attack parameter for partial one is +5 and the attack parameter for partial two is +10 and you edit them at once and press the increase button, will both partials jump to +11 or will the first move by one value to +6 and the second to +11?
freddie

Post by freddie »

No it's not set to a relative value, if you change a parameter to +11, it's set to +11 for all partials.
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

I don't own the JP80 so I can't really comment, but that would be one of the most useless functions so far on it. On the FG the parameters change relatively to each other if you select them for changing the values. I'd wonder if Roland changed this on the JP80.
solitud

Post by solitud »

I have bought the Jupiter. So far it´s a good synth, but not a great one.
Freddie explained the solution: "Envelope offset values can be adjusted at the liveset level."
I don´t like this Liveset tweaking that much, because it adds another layer of confusion to the synth, but it works. Thanks!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

solitud wrote:I have bought the Jupiter. So far it´s a good synth, but not a great one.
Freddie explained the solution: "Envelope offset values can be adjusted at the liveset level."
I don´t like this Liveset tweaking that much, because it adds another layer of confusion to the synth, but it works. Thanks!
Don't get me wrong, I just want to know because I'm considering buying one as soon as money arrives...

I'm curious to know why you say that is not a great synth...any specific reasons?
Why didn't you check that before buying?

Cheers and enjoy your JUP-80
PauloF
solitud

Post by solitud »

PauloF wrote:I'm curious to know why you say that is not a great synth...any specific reasons?
As I said, it is a good synth, but it´s not the love on the first touch, if you know what I mean.
Slight disappointments in Supernatural Acoustic:
- this whole marketing thing with the supernatural modeled sounds. Perhaps I have an other idea what modeling means, but I can not see what is modeled in the natural sounds. It´s clearly a rompler with some nice sounding samples which are scripted/exchanged when you press combination of keys.
- somewhere I think I read that the samples are not looped, and every key is sampled. For the mayority of the samples/sounds this is not true.

Slight disappointments in Supernatural Synth:
The VA (Natural Synth) is pretty easy structured, which is a good thing, but
- the PWM does not sound right
- there is a latency in receiving midiclock, "pulsing" sounds are not 100% tight.
- I do not like the concept with the envelopes per partial (this topic)
- AMP Envelope could be faster
- I find the Lifeset Editing Mode confusing, most of the values are doubled (Cutoff, ..), some are only available in Lifeset (Envelope Loop, ...), some in Pro Edit (HPF Cutoff, ..), the parameters seem a little "all over the place".
- the complete Lifeset Modify section is superficial imo.
- Tone Blender is cool, but I can not assign parameters freely (LFO Depth) ?

But most important: I am an analog guy and perhaps need some more time to adapt to the sound of this digital synth which sounds ... digital.
freddie

Post by freddie »

- I find the Lifeset Editing Mode confusing, most of the values are doubled (Cutoff, ..), some are only available in Lifeset (Envelope Loop, ...), some in Pro Edit (HPF Cutoff, ..), the parameters seem a little "all over the place".
- the complete Lifeset Modify section is superficial imo.
So I thought myself at first, but when I got used to it I found this architecture to be extremely efficient. The ability to offset/and adjust values all the way down to the tone/partial level (without altering the original tone) - from within a liveset makes it very easy to program layers of sound

Completely agree with you regarding the modeling part - the editing is so limited it might as well be an advanced sample player.

I love the Supernatural VA though...absolutely wonderful IMO :-)
solitud

Post by solitud »

freddie wrote:The ability to offset/and adjust values all the way down to the tone/partial level (without altering the original tone) - from within a liveset makes it very easy to program layers of sound
Good point, I think that´s the idea behind that concept. Time will tell if I get used to it.
freddie wrote:I love the Supernatural VA though...absolutely wonderful IMO :-)
The VA is good, no doubt. But I have a 10 years old Virus, which is soundwise pretty much on the same level, and that feels wrong. I think the Jupiters advantage is it´s huge ability to layer sounds. And the Piano is much better than that of my Moog Voyager :)