I wonder if

Forum for JUPITER-80
videorov

I wonder if

Post by videorov »

Roland will come out with other voices for the Jupiter 80 in the future plans for this system like
they keep introducing new sounds for the Motif XF system
http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/voi ... if-xf.html

Its nice if a company keeps updating their system with new things voices etc.
Since its not a workstation maybe they won't. Would be nice if they did. Live systems need
to be updated aswell without buying a whole new keyboard.
alex-f.s

Re: I wonder if

Post by alex-f.s »

... don't expect updates or further sounds from Roland.

;) this reply is from a Fantom G6 user
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

There is no mecahnism in the JP80 to add new sounds, live sets or registrations. You can wipe and install a full set, but then a user would lose any sounds and sets he has created.. until this is changed dont expect anyhting from Roland.
videorov

Post by videorov »

Thanks for the info and will keep that in mind buying my next keyboard which will be in a few
weeks. Im leaning toward the PC3K8 with all the control it has over its sounds and number sections over
the keyboard you can define is nice. Plus how many layers you can have.
Crazyfoo

Post by Crazyfoo »

I have a PC3x, and while Kurzweil is nice, it's also over rated.
ozy

Post by ozy »

Crazyfoo wrote:I have a PC3x, and while Kurzweil is nice, it's also over rated.
thx for sharing
RonF

Post by RonF »

Can you elaborate on this comment? Overrated...how? I have considered purchasing a PC361 recently. Curious to hear your thoughts?
ozy

Post by ozy »

RonF wrote:
Can you elaborate on this comment? Overrated...how? I have considered purchasing a PC361 recently. Curious to hear your thoughts?
IMHO:

It can be bought, used mint conditions (still under warranty) for less than 1000 euros.

Those 900 bucks will pay for the following hardware [forget the sound engine]: 4 balanced outs, 2 midi outs, breath control in and ribbon in, 3 pedal ins, 9 sliders, 9 zone buttons, 8 patch buttons, full programmability of all panel buttons, setup and QA mode, quick transpose, quick octave transpose,

fatar keys with programmable velocity and aftertouch curves per zone (16 zones).

At that price, I am considering buying one just as a masterkeyboard for my "solo" synths.

("Considering" as in: I own the "bigger sister", I'll buy the 61 as soon as I can get a seller down to 800, forget the warranty).

As for the sound palette, again: what it gives [full Kurzweil K2xxx library + last update of the PC series] is available for under 1000 euros.

Compare with 300 euros for a used Korg M1, ... enough said.

I won't comment on the sonic quality: there, you gotta trust your ears, Try it and see if the sound suits you.

If it cost 3000 bucks I'd use a far less enthusiatic tone (not cutting edge, not a workstation, no sampling, no audio in, very "traditional" sample rom), but at those "entry level prices", get one.
RonF

Post by RonF »

ozy wrote: If it cost 3000 bucks I'd use a far less enthusiatic tone (not cutting edge, not a workstation, no sampling, no audio in, very "traditional" sample rom), but at those "entry level prices", get one.
Thanks for your comments ozy! What really interests me in the PC361 is, as you said, the current market price (very low for what you get, compared to the big 3, or even the new PC3K6 by comparison)....but mostly its VAST which intrigues me. I hear a LOT of praise about its power and depth. THAT is seemingly my cup of tea. But I am just not sure about it....the sound quality, based on the PCM ROM....the U.I. with the smallish screen. These things concern me.

Interested in your comment above....."not a workstation". I thought it WAS a workstation? Sequencer on board. Lots of controllers. Granted no sampler....but does that make it a "non-workstation"?

Thanks again!

Ron
ozy

Post by ozy »

RonF wrote:the sound quality, based on the PCM ROM....the U.I. with the smallish screen. does that make it a "non-workstation"?
in my book, "Workstation = all in one studio". Hence: "no sampler, no audio inputs, no recording" = "no workstation".

the pc3 is a PERFORMANCE keyboard. It's a masterkeyboard PLUS a synth. Much like the Jp80 or the clavias.

I don't use the sequencer, so I am a bad judge about that.

VAST is huge.

Samples are the good old kurz samples: top notch strings, average brass and winds, very good electric pianos, zero ethnics, honest bass, forget the hammond because you've got the kb3. That's it.

Finally:

forget about the screen. Everything is there, clearly readable on stage. All soft buttons at the right place.

Ok, no fancy pictures of 3d trumpets and grandpianos with moving lids. Know what? If I need to watch rotating piano images, I go on youtube and browse for Emerson clips. It costs far less then the 800 bucks Korg or Roland charge me for screen wich try to convince me that what I'm listening is better than what it's really.
ozy

Post by ozy »

ozy wrote:
RonF wrote:the sound quality, based on the PCM ROM....the U.I. with the smallish screen. does that make it a "non-workstation"?
in my book, "Workstation = all in one studio". Hence: "no sampler, no audio inputs, no recording" = "no workstation".

the pc3 is a PERFORMANCE keyboard. It's a masterkeyboard PLUS a synth. Much like the Jp80 or the clavias.

VAST is huge.

Samples are the good old kurz samples: top notch strings, average brass and winds, very good electric pianos, zero ethnics, honest bass, forget the hammond because you've got the kb3. That's it.

Finally:

forget about the screen. Everything is there, clearly readable on stage. All soft buttons at the right place.

Ok, no fancy pictures of 3d trumpets and grandpianos with moving lids. Know what? If I need to watch rotating piano images, I go on youtube and browse for Emerson clips. It costs far less then the 800 bucks Korg or Roland charge me for a screen which tries to convince me that what I'm listening is better than what it's really.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

ozy wrote:

VAST is huge.

Finally:

Ok, no fancy pictures of 3d trumpets and grandpianos with moving lids. Know what? If I need to watch rotating piano images, I go on youtube and browse for Emerson clips. It costs far less then the 800 bucks Korg or Roland charge me for screen wich try to convince me that what I'm listening is better than what it's really.
I know that this will not be nice on a live situation, but have you looked into the Editor?
That is faily powerful!!

The only downside for me being the polyphony reduced to 64 voices (PC361)
ozy

Post by ozy »

PauloF wrote:The only downside for me being the polyphony reduced to 64 voices (PC361)
?!?

pc3-LE-61 = 64

PC3-61 = 128

No editor for me. I hate computer editing.
RonF

Post by RonF »

ozy wrote:
VAST is huge.

Thanks very much ozy for your comments. Greatly appreciated!
aron

Post by aron »

The PC3 nails iconic sounds from the past. It's like a best of sounds collection. The synthesizer engine is extremely powerful, but I would like it to be a little more modern in terms of pre-configured algorithms.
The PC361 was going for $1495 and there's nothing that could compete at that price.

All that being said, the Jupiter is a completely different sounding keyboard. Much more modern sounding - plus it's colorful!