Jupiter 80 wish list

Forum for JUPITER-80
jobo

Jupiter 80 wish list

Post by jobo »

OK, I’ve seen a topic like this on most Rolandclan forums for other synths, so I think it’s about time to give the Roland developers some things to work on for the Jupiter 80 or it’s successors. First, I want to say thank you to Roland for V1.10 and I love the keyboard and it’s very expressive and enjoyable to play, but here are a few things I would like done differently.

1. SuperNatural Acoustic E. Piano category (all). I don’t think these are programmed correctly. They lack bite and the ability to “dig in” when playing. On a Fender Rhodes, there is a “barking twang” that you get the harder you hit. On the Acoustic E. Piano’s, there seems to be only volume increase until the hardest hits. Try this. Start with the new Single Part Play registration. Change the grand piano tone to the Dyno Piano (SN Acoustic 0017) from SuperNatural Acoustic E. Piano category. Now, go to System Settings/Keyboard and change the Keyboard Velocity from Real and start turning the big wheel while hitting some notes. As the Velocity level increases you’ll hear an increase in volume, but as you reach 127, you’ll hear a drastic change in the “twang”. Toggle back and forth between 126 and 127 and you’ll hear exactly what I’m describing. The twangyness should come in gradually in parallel to the volume. This occurs to varying degrees on all the SN Acoustic Eps. If this can be fixed, it will immensely increase the playability and expressiveness of the EPs. Now, you can get some of this twang effect by layering in an EP from the SN Synth tones, but the sound of these patches pale in comparison to the SN acoustic EPs and are meant for affect, rather than “bread and butter” sounds.

2. Aftertouch Vibrato: Vibrato is already assigned to the Modulation Lever, but there is no way to control Vibrato using Aftertouch as the source. My Fantom could route the Aftertouch to Vibrato, so should the Jupiter 80.

3. Output Assign: allow assigning to SUB OUT for Upper Part or Lower Part within a Registration. This will allow the use of external effects on individual sounds. Case in point, route the Lower Part with Tone 1 set to SuperNATURAL Acoustic Tone 0028: TW Organ so that you can use a Neo Ventilator or other Leslie sim.

4. Effects: I seen other folks ask for this, allow effects routing in series.

So, this is my wish list. I know Roland reads this and I hope some are achievable within the OS, especially the EP dynamics. Let's hear your wishes!

Thanks,
Jobo
kokocalamar

Re: Jupiter 80 wish list

Post by kokocalamar »

1. I was sort of surprised when I realised that the Supernatural EP:s only have one (1) adjustable parameter, compared for example with the ARX-card that has dozens of them. So, my vote goes to "upping" the EP:s to the SRX standard. Maybe Jobos wish for more dynamics in the EP:s would be adressed by the addition of more tweakable parameters?..

2. FX in series. Now this is a funny omission, in my world at least. The review in S.O.S. mentions this, and the reviewer also asked someone at Roland about this. The answer was: it could be done in a software update, but that could have "ramifications in other areas". The reviewers conclusion: don't hold your breath..

Thanks.
Rocness

Post by Rocness »

CHORD MODE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please !

With the option to roll the chord up or down like on Fantom G,
with a data bank of pre made chords and user space to save our own chords !!!!!!!!!

Basically the same chord function on Fantom G !

Thanks
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Rocness wrote:CHORD MODE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please !

With the option to roll the chord up or down like on Fantom G,
with a data bank of pre made chords and user space to save our own chords !!!!!!!!!

Basically the same chord function on Fantom G !

Thanks
Or...if it could be like on the Fantom X, would be awesome...
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Series FX and enhancements to EP & TW organ "engines" including overdrive before it hits the leslie. Switchable FX within the EP engine for phase & trem (like teh Kronos & SRX12). Tone blender to control organ drawbar offsets similar to the synth engine. E1-E4 knobs seem to jump with big changes.
ostrovitch

Post by ostrovitch »

1) Aftertouch to LFO's it's a very serious forgotten feature.

2) Resonnance on the HPF.

3) Series FX.
Méka

Post by Méka »

"On the fly" swap button on touch-sreen between Lower part and Upper part

New keyboard temperaments like balinese range and other exotic progressions - ability to assign specific keyboard temperament to Solo part - Upper part - Lower part

Drum-box section ....

iPad app like Yamaha Arp & Pad for specific Jupiter-80 enhancements
- drum box if not in Jupiter OS
- chorder pad with sequencer
- X / Y pads for Tone Blender with auto-move LFO for each part for mini vector-synthesis ...
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

A 16 or 8 part multitimbral mode for sequencing.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Chrisk-K wrote:A 16 or 8 part multitimbral mode for sequencing.
MIDI channel assignment per liveSet ;-)
solitud

Post by solitud »

- Song Recorder: Record a Midi File instead of audio.
- Serial FX
- A simple(!) xox style drum sequencer
- More assignable parameters for tone blender

Perhaps thats just me, so it will never happen: remove the complete tone modify layer, its mostly redundant and adds too much complexity. All this things should be done in synth tone edit mode.
funkosauras

Post by funkosauras »

SETLIST SETLIST SETLIST SETLIST SETLIST SETLIST feature PLEASE!!!!

I sold a Kronos to get my Jupiter, haven't looked back, love it, but I do miss the 'Setlist' feature the Kronos had. It was pretty sweet.
HwyStar

Post by HwyStar »

I second the Setlist... A wonderful feature that is great for live "and" studio work.
Rorcus

Post by Rorcus »

Studio mode - where you can assign Tones to 16 channels of midi.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Hi all, I just wanted to report back that my #1 wish is in fact another bug related to using an expression pedal. Tonight while I was playing, I noticed that sometimes the EPs would have that nice twangy bite, and sometimes they would not. What I found out was that the dynamics (except volume) below velocity 127 are missing when the expression pedal is not set to 100%. I am going to investigate this problem bit further and then report to Roland.

Keep jammimg!
Jobo
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

What advantage does Setlist have over the Jupiter's registration system?