Jupiter 80 sales

Forum for JUPITER-80
cello

Jupiter 80 sales

Post by cello »

Just wondering... anyone here have a sense of how many JP-80s are 'out there'/sold?
Chrisk-K

Re: Jupiter 80 sales

Post by Chrisk-K »

Korg has sold about 2,000+ Kronos (minus lots of returned ones) according to the serial number. So, it's safe to say the sales figure of the JP-80 is lower than that of the Kronos.

I would say that no manufacturer will ever sell a flagship synth in excess of 50,000 units like they used to.

The Motif series will be remembered as the last flagship synth sold more than 100,000 units.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Jupiter is sold out at my local GC.
RKfan

Post by RKfan »

One way to find out - same as the Kroni have is to get people to post their serial numbers.

Saw JP80 in the flesh for the first time last week - it's a really impressive looking machine. It doesn't do what I want but still looks great (in fact I think it looks nicer (cooler, better) than a Kronos - which I have just ordered).

But I hope Roland do really well with it - like Korg they make some really fantastic pieces of kit.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

be wary of the serial number game..it is not an accurate indicator of numbers sold.

the only thing required to be extracted from a serial number by a manufacturer is a batch number.. so it is not uncommon for serial number to be non-sequential.. as it happens i know products where a random number from 1-5 was automatically inserted between sequentially produced products..:)
RKfan wrote:One way to find out - same as the Kroni have is to get people to post their serial numbers.

Saw JP80 in the flesh for the first time last week - it's a really impressive looking machine. It doesn't do what I want but still looks great (in fact I think it looks nicer (cooler, better) than a Kronos - which I have just ordered).

But I hope Roland do really well with it - like Korg they make some really fantastic pieces of kit.
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

be wary of the serial number game..it is not an accurate indicator of numbers sold.

the only thing required to be extracted from a serial number by a manufacturer is a batch number.. so it is not uncommon for serial number to be non-sequential.. as it happens i know products where a random number from 1-5 was automatically inserted between sequentially produced products..:)
Very true. The serial number tells us the upper limit of sales, though.
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

Jupiter-80 not reached the 1,000 unit ,mark.
cello

Post by cello »

Hence why I asked the question! The serial numbers don't give any clue...

Interested though about not yet 1,000 sales - care to share how you know that?
MethodicMind

Post by MethodicMind »

My JP80 should arrive in two days, let's see what serial number it have :)
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

In this age of VST'i's, the JP-80 won't sell in more than 5,000 at max, I'm afraid. The Motif series will be recordered as the last expensive synth sold in more than 100,000 units. Look at the Kronos. Although its serial numbers are now in the 2,000 range, given that so many Kronoses have been returned, I wonder about its net sales.
DJ RAZZ rasco

Post by DJ RAZZ rasco »

Isn't funny how we are concerned about sales. Whether or not it sells well does have an affect on our confidence of and dedication to any type of product. I know it directly affects how the company feels about the product and how loyal it will remain to it's current owners.
cello

Post by cello »

DJ RAZZ rasco wrote:Isn't funny how we are concerned about sales. Whether or not it sells well does have an affect on our confidence of and dedication to any type of product. I know it directly affects how the company feels about the product and how loyal it will remain to it's current owners.
Perhaps we are concerned about different things then...

I wanted to know sales because I own jp-80.com and thinking about making it a sound sharing resource - but I'm not going to bother if only 15 units have been sold! If 10,000 have been sold then I will probably need a better server than I currently have...

So, in my case, it's nothing to with a lack of confidence in the JP-80!
ozy

Post by ozy »

Chrisk-K wrote:Very true. The serial number tells us the upper limit of sales, though.
Really.

Did you ever happen to see the following serial number?

How many units were sold?

23, or more than 120.000 ?

And this:

Were all the 3000 units produced, sold?

Or is it the first machine sold in France (conuntry code 003), and there are 999 country codes, and almost 1.000.000 were produced?

S/n becomes a reliable indicator only after YEARS, and especially when sensitive information is released by the producer (normally, that happens after the synth has become a vintage item. Think of the minimoog or prophet5 s/n, which allow to locate production specifics, but only because moog os SCI "historians" digged into corporate "secrets").

I wouldn't base "sales statistics" (or, as it happens with kronoses in fiery debates) "quality-control analysises", on 4-months-old serial numbers.
DJ RAZZ rasco

Post by DJ RAZZ rasco »

cello wrote:
DJ RAZZ rasco wrote:Isn't funny how we are concerned about sales. Whether or not it sells well does have an affect on our confidence of and dedication to any type of product. I know it directly affects how the company feels about the product and how loyal it will remain to it's current owners.
Perhaps we are concerned about different things then...

I wanted to know sales because I own jp-80.com and thinking about making it a sound sharing resource - but I'm not going to bother if only 15 units have been sold! If 10,000 have been sold then I will probably need a better server than I currently have...

So, in my case, it's nothing to with a lack of confidence in the JP-80!
I meant no offence. I was just offering a theory.