JP80 - hugely disappointed with it.

Forum for JUPITER-80
Rocness

Re: JP80 - hugely disappointed with it.

Post by Rocness »

Yes , Respect to the great George Duke .
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

I know...the thread is as old as the hills and has been used and abused, hashed, re-hashed, rubbed, dubbed, pipped, popped and cajoled in as many ways as there are ways to be such, but the title just caused such an uproar and got so many fired up. Since it had been a while and had been relegated to the 3rd page, I thought some of the forum newbie's would get a kick out of some of the hijinks that went on in this thing.

Thread king Dany has moved on and rarely visits these days, but the way that culture, art, agreements, disagreements, bickering, bantering and all that went on in this thread just made it sort of an icon.

Oh, and as far as I know, it was made even more ironic since original thread poster Kevin Knolan never made another appearance on this thread that he had started once it got really going. We tried to tease him back in but he wasn't having it!

Fast forward to later and he was really giving the huge disappointment a try but found this...(gasp!)
AOL6_1.jpg
AOL6_1.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Oh well haters are gonna hate. I do not care for aliasing either BUT you can work around it. It is not something to lose sleeps over and the Jupiter-80/50 are very deep synths. I was not too happy when the new Jupiters first came out But that is because I wanted more knobs/sliders. I got over it and now own a JP-80 and two JP-50s. What can I say, they are fun to play. The jupiter-80 was my first 76 key synth. I wonder if there will be anymore Jupiter models in the future.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Agree with you on this Synthtron :-)

An instrument with flaws but bags of character - PWM flawed and Control surface frustrating; but Sawtooth and Filters are stunning; Acoustic Tones equally so.

What instrument doesn't have it's problems - but overall the JP80 sounds stunning, has awesome potential, built like a tank and plays beautifully.

I'm planning on purchasing a second JP80 in the next year :-). How times change !
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

knolan wrote:I'm planning on purchasing a second JP80 in the next year :-). How times change !
Hummm, maybe you should consider buying an Integra-7 instead of a second JP80. That's what I did :)

Those two guys are pretty similar but I do enjoy having all the "old" srx sounds available too. I also like having a software editor for the Integra-7...

LA
knolan

Post by knolan »

I thought about that but actually am going to get a second hand XV5080 and expansion cards I need that way. The 2nd JP80 is for two reasons - live purposes; and the idea of spreading livesets and registrations over two closely coupled JP80's for performance-recordings (I do this with other synths including multiple JD800s).

It's kind of 'liberating' in that ideas you might have but can't implement on just one, become possible on two. I'll await another year or so till the 2nd hand price drops a tad.

I wonder should this thread be renamed "JP80 - I used to be hugely disappointed in it" :-)

PS - Moderator - if you ban me for being a cheeky bugger I'll understand !!
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Funny you mention the dual JP idea. There's one for sale locally and could be had for a very decent price. I'm tempted.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

You could go with a Jupiter-50 to go with the Jupiter-80. I added the Jupiter-50. It is not as deep as the Jupiter-80 as far as registrations go and polyphony but it is nice to have the same sound in a sleeker package.
You could also wait for the JD-XA and see if that would be a better compliment. I am very interested in it. only wish it had 6-8 voices of polyphonic analog for chords and pads. Maybe a new hybrid Jupiter will be in the plans in the near future! Oh well would be great but, enjoy what we have now.
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Was at the Journey concert in New-Orleans LA tonight (March 08),

Saw that:

100_1746small.jpg
100_1746small.jpg (128.3 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
100_1732small.jpg
100_1732small.jpg (105.08 KiB) Viewed 4814 times

Yep, this is a Jupiter 80, right on top of the baby grand!!!

LA
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

I wonder should this thread be renamed "JP80 - I used to be hugely disappointed in it" :-)
No, no, no! Just wouldn't have the same impact, and wouldn't have been half the fun! Besides, how many years did it take before you actually started playing it in earnest and were just "mildly" disappointed in it?

I got a real chuckle after seeing you back on this thread Kevin, and after thinking that the aliasing issue had for sure soured you on the whole thing, am glad that you at least see that the JP80 is capable of some pretty nice sounds even with the warts.

You will be up there with others like Dany for whom one just isn't enough. I always wished that I had sprung for a JD-800, but alas, I will just have to be content with my four JD-990's.

My latest complaint is, "the JP-80, I wish I had time to play it"!!!
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Please stop flaunting your 4 990s! Some of us have to make do with 2! (And an 800)
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

And I am hugely disappointed that I cannot have one :(
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Please stop flaunting your 4 990s! Some of us have to make do with 2! (And an 800)
And, for the record, it is 4 JD990's all loaded with SR-JV80-04 expansions...Vintage Synth's for days! Besides, that JD-800 looks much more menacing than a couple of black boxes! :-D
Oh these are choice! Good one's the both of you, and exactly why this serious sounding thread had and has the ability to soothe frayed nerves and counter conniption fits with tongue-in-cheek humor and the sometimes bizarre. I got my needed chuckle for the day.

I hope you are able to get at least one on e-bay Cesar! I saw quite a few a while back for reasonable prices.

All of this 990 talk has got me buzzed...I am going to have to go have a listen to Eric Persing's "The City Weeps"!!
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

. wrote:
Oh these are choice! Good one's the both of you, and exactly why this serious sounding thread had and has the ability to soothe frayed nerves and counter conniption fits with tongue-in-cheek humor and the sometimes bizarre. I got my needed chuckle for the day.

I hope you are able to get at least one on e-bay Cesar! I saw quite a few a while back for reasonable prices.
Hi SoundworldA.D.,
Even on eBay, the JP80 is too expensive for me. Here in my country (Brazy) there are lot of import taxes and duties, you will pay 3 times it costs in USA. It is a real steal…
Tschury

Post by Tschury »

knolan wrote:[...]

PS - Moderator - if you ban me for being a cheeky bugger I'll understand !!
knolan wrote:[...]

I'm planning on purchasing a second JP80 in the next year :-). How times change !
Congratulations!

The treatment was finally successfull!

Welcome to the club of double JP-80 owners! ... Image