JP80 - hugely disappointed with it.

Forum for JUPITER-80
Dany

Re: JP80 - hugely disappointed with it.

Post by Dany »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Deliver this!...
Thanks for the great delivery!!!...Image
I have that DVD of the "Miles in Munich 1987" concert, as many others like the mentioned ReturnToForever DVD, etc. and I use to watch these concerts in my movie room, where I have four high-end PA speakers and a video beamer with a large projection screen, which offers the almost perfect concert simulation environment, as it offers the sound pressure of a live concert.

As I am living in Switzerland, I was lucky enough as a teenager to experience Miles Davis live between 1984 and 1991 almost every year in Montreux, but also in Zurich and Locarno.

Thanks to the release of the "Miles! The Definitive Miles Davis At Montreux Dvd Collection" we can revive those great and unforgettable moments in music history:

http://www.montreuxjazzshop.com/product ... 60a9a9fa64

Two examples from the DVD collection (released 2011):

Miles Davis Band - Live at Montreux 1986:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Flw#t=182s

Miles Davis and Quincy Jones - Live at Montreux 1991:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR1bOE3Fszo

We owe the great Claude Nobs this unique DVD collection, who was the founder of the Montreux Jazz Festival.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Nobs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreux_Jazz_Festival

He died just several weeks ago in a ski sport accident in the Swiss mountains. What a tragic loss!

PS: As you've mentioned Billy Cobham before: I had again good luck, because he lives here in Switzerland near Zurich, where I live. So I had the chance to follow the great Billy Cobham very closely since years...

Billy Cobham & George Duke Band - Stratus - Live at Montreux 1976:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6TwL6eoYec

synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

As Soundie noted - and guilty as charged, I'm a guy rooted in the sounds and styles of the 70s and 80s too. Though the period I tend to call "home" is the 70s, I pretty much have grown to love just about everyone from your guy's 80s lists too. One that got lost in the shuffle was Midge Ure, one of the key members of Ultravox who went solo years later, a great talent himself.

Fusionwise, I can't remember if anyone mentioned Brand X, a group of overly talented guys who did some unforgettable music that... I can't remember any of. ;D

In the prog vein, Camel was another of my faves from the dreaded Brit Invasion, and delivered a steady stream of classic British flavored rock.

I have to run to my awful gubmint job shortly, but this thread is extremely inspiring - and delivering, and I'm aching to get some free time off again to dive headlong into my own music project. I desperately need to hook up with a keyboardist to at least play on my stuff, and hopefully compose with me because I'm more of an artist and sound maker than keyboardist. You know, one of those dream keyboardists like Eddie Jobson, Jan Hammer or Tony Hymas. Maybe electric violin like the Maestro Eddie J or Jean Luc, and a geetar player like Steve Hackett, Jeff Beck, Trevor Rabin or the "attackless" man himself, Allan Holdsworth.

I don't ask for much, do I? ;D But it would be a blessing to hit up with such talent, because I want to make some seriously good old school prog rock.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

If you guys like the Proggy British rock stuff, can I recommend you check out Firegarden?

Coming from a Deep Purple background, with some proggy bits. Jon Lord was my main inspiration, but I count Emerson, Wakeman, Colin Towns (Gillan) and Czeslaw Niemen as heroes, too.

Oh, the organ on the album is a Nord Stage, but the synths are largely Roland Fantom X and SH-32.

Regards
Andy
Dany

Post by Dany »

Andy Keys wrote:If you guys like the Proggy British rock stuff, can I recommend you check out Firegarden?
Image Your band is absolutely great! Thanks for posting!

As "Deep Purple" and "Montreux" were mentioned so far...inevitably:

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water (Live - 1973):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mkITdWS3xU

The story of "Smoke On The Water":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NsEq3koQP8

SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Man the memories come pouring in like a flood! Videos...music...60's, 70's, 80's (and beyond!) and with the recent passing of Alvin Lee, I have been too busy to finish me latest tune! I am trying to finish it...stayed up till 4A.M. but did not quite get the mix I am looking for. Soon! This one will be another Fusion/Wordbeat blaster dedicated to my dear sponsored child Patrick Kateregga in Uganda who recently lost his father.
Mr Kateregga_1.jpg
Mr Kateregga_1.jpg (22.8 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
The first Rock albums given to me other than Beatles records was Ssssh...TEN YEARS AFTER and Jethro Tull's BENEFIT. To this day, they remain two of my all-time favourite records. Good thing they came out with CD's because I wore the grooves off of several of those LP's!

Here is a choice video from 1975 that shows why I was such a big fan of Alvin and "Big Red", his 1958 ES-335 with all of the time capsule decals from Woodstock and beyond and with that Fender single coil Strat pickup nestled between the coverless humbuckers. What a timeless axe!
AL_Mem2_1.jpg
AL_Mem2_1.jpg (29.67 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk9_-3CT1f8

On the Prog front, while I grew up loving Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Genesis and Gentle Giant in the 60's and 70's, I also got into Brand X, Gong, Roxy Music (Eno and later Jobson!) and U.K. (had never heard of Allan Holdsworth until then!)in the last few years I also came to appreciate bands like Spock's Beard and Marillion, but two that really took me by storm were Porcupine Tree and The Flower Kings. I also enjoy the video's and records from proggers like Transatlantic and The Tangent. Great Stuff!

It's funny, I was thinking yesterday about wanting all of those Miles DVD video's from Montreaux and elsewhere (Dany you are so lucky to be so close!) and the thought of Deep Purple (and then Frank Zappa) came into my mind this morning while having a cup. When I saw the latest thread entries I had a good laugh!

Also, since we were discussing and enjoying Jazz Fusion, an honorable mention must go to the change the Santana band went through in the early to mid 70's with 3 quite remarkable albums which were maybe a little misunderstood and under appreciated at the time...1972's CARAVANSERAI, 1973's WELCOME and 1974's BORBOLETTA. Since Dany had mentioned Miles' BITCHES BREW, I was listening to "Spanish Key" and was keenly aware of where a lot of those cool Jazz Prov rhythms had come from. When Carlos hits those extremely fast picking runs with that Echoplex in "Promise of a Fisherman" off of Borboletta I still get a jolt of energy up my spine!
Caravanserai3.jpeg
Caravanserai3.jpeg (5.51 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
Welcome1.jpeg
Welcome1.jpeg (5.12 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
Borboletta2_1.jpg
Borboletta2_1.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
So much great music...it just doesn't get any better than that! In 50 years, will the critics be comparing Miles Davis and Snoop Dog and saying "man, that Snoop Dog is just the duck's nuts!" I'm with the Ancient Aliens dude...I think not! LOL
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

Well Im returning my JP-80. Ill do a full post about it soon but the main reason is I am an idiot and should never of bought it because I am the wrong sort of person wanting the unit to do something I think it was never designed to do, That is be boring. I really want something that is like the boring old korg with programs and combos, I should of bought something like a Fantom but the supernatural sounds suckered me in to think it could be a covers type keyboard. Maybe if they had put a button to access live sets instantly like korgs or Fantoms it could of worked. I am disappointed cause for the right sort of person the Jupiter 80 kicks ass and is a phenomenal keyboard, it's just I'm not the right sort of player / person for it. I'm too old school and boring in my sounds needs. So I am not disapointed in the keyboard just that I didnt "get it" properly before I bought it.
Dany

Post by Dany »

SoundworldA.D. wrote: Also, since we were discussing and enjoying Jazz Fusion, an honorable mention must go to the change the Santana band went through in the early to mid 70's...
Indeed!

Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles — Free form funkafide filth (1972)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbd0L5ep3rY

Miles Davis feat. Carlos Santana - It's About That Time (Vince Wilburn, Jr. Remix)
(from the Miles Davis Remix Album "Evolution of the Groove" 2007):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoS5IjDe_Dg

Miles Davis and Santana live 1986 (with Robben Ford):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evEWHTEUcm4
Better audio quality, but only audio version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQMiR25R-SM

SoundworldA.D. wrote:So much great music...it just doesn't get any better than that! In 50 years, will the critics be comparing Miles Davis and Snoop Dog and saying "man, that Snoop Dog is just the duck's nuts!" I'm with the Ancient Aliens dude...I think not! LOL

SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

So what is the difference between Dub and Skrillex anyway?
The only answer_1.jpg
The only answer_1.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
The Doogenator was finally able to finish off the aforementioned Soundworld's latest tune:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12215995

After starting out with that synthesized Throat Singer, the panning Kalimba and Marimba arp get a good groove going for a nice interplay between tenor sax and heavy duty guitar. Had fun with alternating the slap bass with the Marcus Miller fretless. Was I influenced the last few days by all of the fusion and progging?

Almost definitely!!

The lineup for Mr Kateregga:
Throat Singer: V-Synth XT
Drums, Slap Bass, Panning Kalimba, Sound EFX: OASYS
Synchronized Marimba pattern: Triton-Rack
AP-S Tenor Sax: V-Synth GT #1
Lead guitar: V-Synth GT #2
Marcus Miller fretless bass: JV-2080 (SR-JV80-10)
Crash cymbals: K2000
Ride cymbals: SC-88 Sound Canvas

@shaneblyth:
Nice thoughtful post on why you didn't get on with the 80. Oh well, some lucky person will get the synth of their dreams! The only thing I can say is what I said before: "The Jupiter-80...it's not for everybody, but for those it is for...is it ever!!
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:
@shaneblyth:
Nice thoughtful post on why you didn't get on with the 80. Oh well, some lucky person will get the synth of their dreams! The only thing I can say is what I said before: "The Jupiter-80...it's not for everybody, but for those it is for...is it ever!!
Thanks. Thought is too easy to miss out of the equation. I still love the JP80 it has some of the best fattest sounds on the planet and has some very unique awesome features from the playing standpoint. If I could have combined 2 different synths/workstations together I would of unfortunately life's a compromise. If I was rich I'd keep it and buy a KronosX as well. The Kornos is also a compromise as it is far from perfect. Who wants a UPS as it has a 2 minute boot time and on stage thats really bad, and then there is that not so healthy build quality compared to the JP 80. The other downside I see is if you want semi weighted action it is 61 keys or nothing cant figure why 73 keys is hammer action. Not a perfect world I'm not sure what to buy now. Roland has canceled it's current Fantom Workstations. I'm going to have to sit on my hands and wait it out. A Fantom with a touch screen, some supernatural goodness and maybe some of those nice thick JP80's sounds would be best for me, well see.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Some musings on that "2 minute boot time." I can't remember the time exactly, but my OASYS also takes a while to boot up. The V-Synth XT takes shorter time than the OASYS, but the undisputed "King" is the V-Synth GT, which takes an inordinate amount of time to boot up.

I'm thinking this is because of the "Project" style architecture, where it has to load up all of the patch and wave files everytime it is started. The Jupiter-80 by comparison takes all of 10-15 seconds. I'm thinking that is because all of the information it needs to produce its sounds is hard coded and does not have to be loaded every time it is started.

I never played piano, so hammer action weighted keys aren't for me. It is kind of strange that they would have made a 73 in that style when people who prefer it would probably like to have 88 anyway. I like the synth action on my OASYS 76 and I also like the Jupiter-80's, but my all time favourite is on my D-70 where the aftertouch has a very slight "spongey" feel to it that gives you just the right amount of feedback when applying it.

I sincerely hope you find the one that will meet your needs without being too much.

Alas, my D-70's keys have seen better days, as the glue that held the weights has finally given up the ghost after 20 years. I still have it hooked up though because those lovely L/A patches on it still sound terrific. Ghosties and Space Dream never go out of style!
cello

Post by cello »

Yeah, the big O takes about 2mins to load.

The V-SynthGTv2 takes a bit over a minute (depends which .prj is being loaded though - can be shorter).

But for studio work such times are irrelevant. I accept for the gigging musician this could be an issue (power failure - everyone's waiting for the Kronos to load!).

It is amazing though that the JP-80 can load up in 15 seconds - there is 'sample' (PCM) data being loaded.

I am a pianist first and foremost - so the O-88 is perfect for me. However, I like the light touch in the V and JP-80. Piano doesn't have aftertouch so such things are fun, fun, fun! And,in fact, every piano has a different action - he rehearses for hours on end on his own piano but you don't get Lang Lang complaining that the piano in the Carnegie Hall doesn't have the right action!

Ultimately, of course, it's down to the sound(s). And it's what we do with 'em that counts :)
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Some musings on that "2 minute boot time." I can't remember the time exactly, but my OASYS also takes a while to boot up. The V-Synth XT takes shorter time than the OASYS, but the undisputed "King" is the V-Synth GT, which takes an inordinate amount of time to boot up.

I'm thinking this is because of the "Project" style architecture, where it has to load up all of the patch and wave files everytime it is started. The Jupiter-80 by comparison takes all of 10-15 seconds. I'm thinking that is because all of the information it needs to produce its sounds is hard coded and does not have to be loaded every time it is started.

I never played piano, so hammer action weighted keys aren't for me. It is kind of strange that they would have made a 73 in that style when people who prefer it would probably like to have 88 anyway. I like the synth action on my OASYS 76 and I also like the Jupiter-80's, but my all time favourite is on my D-70 where the aftertouch has a very slight "spongey" feel to it that gives you just the right amount of feedback when applying it.

I sincerely hope you find the one that will meet your needs without being too much.

Alas, my D-70's keys have seen better days, as the glue that held the weights has finally given up the ghost after 20 years. I still have it hooked up though because those lovely L/A patches on it still sound terrific. Ghosties and Space Dream never go out of style!

Yes I did a search for "Kronos UPS" and was staggered at the huge level of discussions on what to buy and what to use so pro's definitely go this way which is nuts to have to do it. Korg should build the UPS in at that price !!
cello

Post by cello »

The Kronos which on paper should have been Korg's swan has been spoilt by an execution that resulted in an ugly duckling.

For the price it costs there is no way that it should have the problems its users have endured.

From jog wheel to power cut outs to woeful keybed (that according to korg was a minor issue - yeah, right; we, your customers are stupid - go ahead and treat us that way). It is also no surprise that there are several that have received 2 or 3 replacements and the issue is still not fixed!

(and ssshhhh - if you buy a Korg Kronos today there is absolutely no guarantee WHATSOEVER that what you will not have any of the above problems - they created the Kronos X to distance themselves from the issues - but guess what? New buyers are reporting keybed problems... )

Then there's the utter and complete betrayal of a user base that bought into the OASYS concept. As a 30 year user of Korgs (my first one was a brand new Delta), I will never buy another. Their clear market target is sonic toys (MS20 Mini, [fuc]King Korg - is that not the world's most stupid name for a keyboard ever?, mini this - micro that, etc).

Korg deserves everything they get. If you palm off quality gear that is nothing more than a cheap rip-off then you're on your own. They screwed up in both execution and also customer loyalty. No company in any market should expect to get away with that and survive.
Dany

Post by Dany »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:
...The Doogenator was finally able to finish off the aforementioned Soundworld's latest tune:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12215995
__________________________________________________________________________________________
SoundworldA.D. wrote:
So what is the difference between Dub and Skrillex anyway?

RE:GENERATION MUSIC PROJECT:
http://regenerationmusicproject.com/

RE:GENERATION Official Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0NzJSM_vFI

RE:GENERATION MUSIC PROJECT: Skrillex and The Doors - The making of "Breaking a Sweat":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHSp6MzYz6I

RE:GENERATION MUSIC PROJECT: Skrillex and The Doors - Remix Version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDWzSiEwWxs

The Miles Davis Classic ‘Milestones’ Covered By Skrillex And The Doors:

http://milesdavisonline.com/news/the-mi ... the-doors/

"Skrillex, dubstep’s first genuine superstar and perhaps the most divisive man in dance music right now, has collaborated with the remaining members of The Doors.
In what’s being billed as the first Doors track of the 21st century, Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger and John Densmore have got in the studio with Skrillex to record a “variation” on Miles Davis’ ‘Milestones’, as part of a forthcoming music documentary titled RE:GENERATION, directed by Amir Bar-Lev."

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Miles Davis - Rated X: From the album "Miles Davis - Panthalassa: The Music Of Miles Davis 1969-1974":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bITU0j_6AA

Miles Davis - Rated X - Remix version 1999:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY9vKl8sQrU

If one listens to this Miles Davis track, created about 40 years ago, one will have to realize that Miles Davis was way ahead of his time. It sounds like some today's progressive electronic dance track, but was created 40 years ago!!! And the 40 years old original version just sounds as progressive and modern, as the "modern" remix version from 1999..

Miles Davis in his own words:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLBApLtyyg

SoundworldA.D. wrote:
...Oh well, some lucky person will get the synth of their dreams!...
ImageImage
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

cello wrote:
(and ssshhhh - if you buy a Korg Kronos today there is absolutely no guarantee WHATSOEVER that what you will not have any of the above problems - they created the Kronos X to distance themselves from the issues - but guess what? New buyers are reporting keybed problems... )

Really I didn't know the X was having keybed issues still ouch thats gotta suck big time. I here it was only the weighted 73 and 88 keybeds is thaty still the case? Didnt know about the jog wheels seems awefully scarey stuff. My problem is Roland has pulled all it's workstations so no more fantoms according to their head office.