JP80 - hugely disappointed with it.

Forum for JUPITER-80
synthguy99

Re: JP80 - hugely disappointed with it.

Post by synthguy99 »

To my knowledge, Kronos X has no problems. I have a plain Kronos 88 and have no problems.

Be careful of the intranets, it's full of stuff that is less than true. ;-)
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

synthguy99 wrote:To my knowledge, Kronos X has no problems. I have a plain Kronos 88 and have no problems.

Be careful of the intranets, it's full of stuff that is less than true. ;-)
cheers I was almost considering a 61 and hook it to a 76 controller!
Dany

Post by Dany »

cello wrote:
The Kronos which on paper should have been Korg's swan has been spoilt by an execution that resulted in an ugly duckling...

...Then there's the utter and complete betrayal of a user base that bought into the OASYS concept. As a 30 year user of Korgs (my first one was a brand new Delta), I will never buy another...
I feel your pain and anger about "the utter and complete betrayal" even twice...

ImageImage

PS: I am of course very lucky to own two of these beauties. I mean I need them for my two JP-80...Image
-
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Yes, the old "Open Architecture" ploy was not after all so "Open ended" as we were promised, but man, is that OASYS still a beautiful piece of kit or what? I feel the same way today about it as the first time I sat down to play "Particles and Waves" on that November day back in 2007. I understand that discontinuing the expensive OASYS was a business decision. What I didn't appreciate was the sneaky way in which it was handled!
"Subterfuge is a tactic employed by idlers and parasites"
Clifton Webb as Mr. Lynn Belvedere
Mr Belvedere.jpeg
Mr Belvedere.jpeg (8.57 KiB) Viewed 4258 times
Bottom line...you don't get to paint a turd red and tell me it is a rose! I will reply "well yes, it is red, but it still stinks because it is just a red turd!" As far as the Kronos, we OASYS owners know full well of the marvelous sounds that those engines can produce, but it sure looks as though they tried hitching a fully loaded wagon to a chicken and then expected warp (or even ludicrous) speed!

@Dany: I WANT that Miles Davis with the Santana! Wow what a smokin' tune!
Dany

Post by Dany »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:
@Dany: I WANT that Miles Davis with the Santana! Wow what a smokin' tune!
Of course, what else can we expect from those titans...

But most importantly:

Your V-Synth-GT guitar and sax solos on your latest song "Mr Kateregga" http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12215995 are smokin' as well!

SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Thanks a bunch Dany. That is the first time I have used the "V-Screamer II" on a tune and thought it worked out well. I was originally fading out the song before the 5 minute mark, but due to some mistakes I went in and did a re-do on both the horn and guitar parts toward the very end. That "unison" part near the end was totally a gift as I was not focusing on doing it at all, but when I heard it I forgot all about doing an early fade! Gotta love those happy accidents!

I ordered the Miles Munich DVD as I just had to have a better copy as mine was recorded off of TV before the days of HDTV and it is very grainy. I also saw and ordered a live event from Poland 1983 as it had a lot of the same lineup as the Munich show. They also had the Montreaux DVD set and I just had to get that one as well. I will be jazzing out for days.

While I was you-tubing I caught a few older Santana shows from the mid to late 70's when Carlos was playing a Yamaha SG3000. Those guitars are special to me beause I still have my 1978 SBG2000. It is one heavy guitar (literally!) and the neck-through construction is a real beauty.
Red Sunrize
Red Sunrize
SBG 2000.jpg (196.95 KiB) Viewed 4177 times
Dany

Post by Dany »

Excerpt from "shaneblyth"s post from viewtopic.php?f=44&t=46472#p267661
shaneblyth wrote:
...Reading the thread where Kevin said he hated a bunch of things and didn't get it and those interesting great replies helped me take a harder look at my approach and as said I was the problem no the 80...

...I cant expect a new design to think and function the way an old design did...

...You wrestle with it and then realise it's going to win and find you have really been wrestling against yourself. You don't realise it sometimes...

...Thanks for peoples input it's made me step back and come at it in a different way.
The Jupiter 80's way.

ImageImageImage
Image Image

Post by zardoz505 »

As much as I have tried to not like the Kronos ..I can't ..
It's a great board with a really shitty keybed ..paired with the Jupiter and an a-88 controller
best of both worlds, as for the price ?
I got mine (Kronos 73) for 1400.00 us.
From a guy who read too much internet BS ..
The Jupiter 80 is still getting the most attention tho...
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

The masses are seemingly content with following the mainstream...

While we, who mangle sounds and choose to "think outside the box" are not limited by any such constraints...
OTB19_1.jpg
OTB19_1.jpg (30.32 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
Attachments
JS_Waves_1.jpg
JS_Waves_1.jpg (22.48 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
Dany

Post by Dany »

zardoz505 wrote:As much as I have tried to not like the Kronos ..I can't ..
It's a great board with a really shitty keybed ..paired with the Jupiter and an a-88 controller
best of both worlds, as for the price ?
I got mine (Kronos 73) for 1400.00 us.
From a guy who read too much internet BS ..
The Jupiter 80 is still getting the most attention tho...
As the Kronos is offering exactly the same synth engines (and much more) and the sonic quality of the OASYS, it is without any doubt one of the best sounding synths on this planet, but unfortunately not concerning the build quality. But it is indeed incredible what you get for the money with the Kronos, regarding synthesis power and sonic quality! Image

And yes, the JP-80 has stired up many controversies, thereby attracting a lot of attention.
This very thread is just an example of this bizarre phenomenon... [img]ttp://web.archive.org/liveweb/http://www.superpimps.com/clubhonda/ima ... woohoo.gif[/img]

Dany

Post by Dany »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:
...x2, what a beautiful work of art! Image
-
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

X4!

The Jupiter Legacy...
Jupiter Legacy_1.jpg
Jupiter Legacy_1.jpg (36.83 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
cello

Post by cello »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:X4!

The Jupiter Legacy...
Jupiter Legacy_1.jpg
x80! ;)

What a fine work of art :)
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Those are but pictures with nice colours to soothe the visual senses...

Here is the real art...the art of mangling! The all-out exploration of aural possibilities and embarking on uncharted waves to reach a destination of sonic bliss!
OTB14_1.jpg
OTB14_1.jpg (32.94 KiB) Viewed 3938 times
Dany

Post by Dany »

With or without librarian software...

...let's just celebrate our beloved JP-80 with some heavenly kitsch, which I've "found" on another forum:
..png
..png (355.24 KiB) Viewed 3801 times