Reading Jupiter-80 sound sets on a PC/Mac

Forum for JUPITER-80
Nisei

Re: Reading Jupiter-80 sound sets on a PC/Mac

Post by Nisei »

Dewdman42 wrote:New Main Page for GitHub Librarian development found here: http://steveschow.github.io/Jupe/
There isn't a GitHub Page here.
Dewdman42

Post by Dewdman42 »

I had to take that page away and couldn't update my post. Go to the first link I posted, it is the complete github repo.

https://github.com/steveschow/Jupe
Nisei

Post by Nisei »

Ah great, thanks!
Dewdman42

Post by Dewdman42 »

and click the wiki link to read the docs, particularly the SVD file spec at this point
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Hi folks! I'm back. :)

After six months of real-life chores, including moving to a house, I've finally resumed the librarian project for the mighty ´80. I tried several attempts at building further on the Renoise/Lua codebase but I found no satisfactory solution. Instead, after much pondering, I decided to rewrite the codebase in Swift for OS X (Mac).

This means dropping support for other platforms, but it also means working much faster since this is my "native" environment and since I can focus on one platform. Additionally, a major part of the code can then be used directly in a potential iOS version (iPad/iPhone). I know arock has made progress on a native Windows version, so hopefully he can cover that platform. In any case we should be able to share some algorithms and some architecture, if not code directly.

The Swift version is moving along quickly. When the codebase has reached the same abilities as the Lua version I can finally start adding a decent GUI as well as incorporating the findings made by arock.

Onwards!
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

This is EXCELLENT news Kimsnarf!

You should start a crowdsourcing effort for this. I'd give, easily, $50 to $100 to the cause! I love my JP80 but would love to have a librarian! IT doesn't look like Roland is interested in doing this for us.

Let us know your progress and how we can help!
cello

Post by cello »

Great idea about crowd-sourcing - I'd support that in a minute. (Although I'm only PC here)
zardoz505

Post by zardoz505 »

+1 here also, 100$ in a heartbeat !!
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Ave, Jupiter!

The first preview of the OS X (Yosemite) / Swift version of the Jupiter-80 Librarian is now ready at the following link. Feel free to check it out and comment:
Jupiter-80 Librarian

The GUI is extremely basic and rough, but functional. The current version can open any SVD file in Jupiter-80/50 format and will list all registrations, live sets, tones and partials. The partials are listed as oscillator type (e.g. saw, square) or the name of the PCM used (e.g. "JP-8 Saw"). Thank you, cello, for the PCM wave list! I think seeing the partials is quite fun since it shows how the oscillators are distributed among the sounds, and also shows which oscillators are responsible for the basic sound of a tone.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

I updated the file in the previous link. The librarian now also shows dependencies. When selecting live sets it shows the registrations using these live sets. Similarly, when selecting tones it shows the live sets using these tones and the registrations using these tones (i.e. as a solo tone or a perc tone). I also added an option to show the registrations using the live sets using these tones. :) That is, a complete list of sounds using the tones in some way, both directly and indirectly.

It should now be fairly easy to get an overview of which sounds are affected by e.g. deleting tones or live sets. I will also look into an option to ignore sounds that are disabled/muted since these are possibly irrelevant as dependencies.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Kimsnarf,

I'm downloading and installing now. I'll let you know what I think and how it works with my JP80.

I have wanted to work in Swift since I saw it's inception, but no time with all the graphic design and web development work I'm doing these days and I must concentrate on the HTML5 and CSS3 right now.

I'm glad you were able to use these great new tools to do this. My offer of crowd-sourced assistance still stands, PLUS I'd be happy to talk about help with the graphic side of things if you like. Let me know. I've never produced graphics for an application before but I've been doing traditional and digital graphic design for over 20 years and website work since 1999.

Keep up the great work~!
moogmaniac

Post by moogmaniac »

Well done to all those who have got this project this far.

I realise much of this work is now focussed on running under OSX. If I were a Mac users, it would be my focus.

What would now be involved to transfer it across to other platforms? I realise that Swift is OSX only.

Regards,

David
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

flyingace, Swift is a very approachable, modern language. It is a lot of fun to work with. Things just make sense. There are parts that are clearly unfinished, but bridging to the Objective-C/Cocoa equivalents fills out the blanks in the meantime. I recognize many of the best features of other languages, including C#, Python, Objective-C, C++ and C. Swift also incorporates many useful functional language aspects. I hope the language becomes available in other environments.

I will let you know if I need graphics. It would be very cool if the interface looked similar to the Jupiter-80 interface, at least the same kind of palette and fonts. But hopefully without running into infringement issues.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

moogmaniac, it was my personal decision to focus on OS X to get my own project moving again. The time I spent struggling with cross-platform issues was not time well spent. My main goal is to get librarian functionality available in any form, and this is the quickest route for me.

arock has started working on a Windows version in C#, but I'm not sure how far he has gotten. He based this on the Lua code I wrote. C# and Swift have a lot in common, but both are quite different from Lua, so I'm sure Swift is a good starting point for porting to other platforms.

The most difficult part is figuring out how to build this tool. Once it is built, and with the source code available, it is much less effort to port it to whichever platform makes sense. But others will have to step in for that. However, they are more likely to do so if they have something to base it on.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Kimsnarf,

I can't get the application to stay open, it keeps "unexpectedly quit" -ing. I have the jupiter 80 driver installed, usb cable connected, JP80 on, open librarian and nothing appears in the window. I then open an SVD file and it quits every time.

I'm running a new 27" iMac with Yosemite.

Any ideas?