Forum for JUPITER-80
Synthtron

Re: Roland Has Discontinued it's workstations

Post by Synthtron »

Who can say for sure.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Thanks Cello - but can you save such changes, as the default on power up?
cello

Post by cello »

You can only save a particular registration for power up default.
knolan

Post by knolan »

So what you're saying is - all of the buttons on the Lower, Upper and Solo sections on the front panel have no programming capability, and are set as presets that cannot be altered and saved to memory - but can be changed during a power up session but are lost on power down? Right?

What about the "Alternate" - can that be stored and brought back up on power up?

(if the case - what were Roland thinking in placing these hugely expensive and potentially hugely useful buttons on the instrument, but equipped with such inadequate capability? Does anyone use them?)
cello

Post by cello »

What do you mean by programming capability? (sorry if being dense!)

The buttons of course are not a programming function - simply a navigational one.

So, for example, you could save all 2,500 sounds under the one category - say ac-piano - so the piano button could select any of the sounds as primary and alternative ac piano. However, it would of course mean that the other buttons would not be assignable as all of the sounds are now ac-piano, so the clav would have no available options to select.

Ergo - if you want a sound to be navigated by the category buttons, you must save it with a category that can be used by that button.

On power up, only one selected registration and a particular view (eg registration) can be selected - those are the only two options available to select for power up. However if that registration used an alternative button sound then that could be used on power up.
knolan

Post by knolan »

I'm still not clear what you're saying -

From the manual, they show for each button three options per button - so that if you cycle through those, you select them - for example there are three types of piano that Roland pre-set for the Piano button.

So - lets say I tweek and acoustic piano and save it as a liveset. How do I allocate it to the Piano button?

And - can I set my piano as the default, 1st choice when I press that button in the future?

Are you saying that continuous presses of the Piano button will cycle through ALL livesets of type "Piano" that exist on the Jupiter 80.

Am I missing something here about a possible flexibility / use of these buttons I'm currently not seeing?

Overall, how do you select, what YOU want, via a button.

cheers,
Kevin.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Here's a better way of asking it:

From the persepctive of using a Registration:

1. Can I allocate my choice of programs for all buttons, and have them saved as part of a registration

if not:

2. Can I allocate them a fixed set of my sounds, and have those saved, some how, as defaults? I think you've already answered "No" to that

3. Can I allocate, per registration, the "Other" allocation, and the "Alternate" allocation, so that I could set button defaults, per registration, that way?

I'll try these things now - but any general guidance you have on the usage of the buttons to serve any individuals personal needs, would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Kevin.
knolan

Post by knolan »

OK -

I can see that int he System Menu - there is an option to save what livesets are allocated to what buttons - as well as for the alternatives.

Phew!

That's something of a relief - and make configuring the JP80 for live performance significantly more capable.

Cheers
Kevin.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

BillySynth wrote: I'd like to know how Roland's JP80 sales are doing...
I am curious about that and how many have been produced.