Roland Has Discontinued it's workstations

Forum for JUPITER-80
synthguy99

Re: Roland Has Discontinued it's workstations

Post by synthguy99 »

I think people are completely misreading the market. The Kronos and Motif, keyboards which are selling very well, are workstations, and I haven't run across hardly a post asking for either company to drop the sequencers from either. If anything, I've seen more from people asking for more sequencer features, especially for the Kronos.

How many here have asked for a new workstation? About half the active people in this section. I'm one of them.

I won't cry if Roland doesn't produce a workstation, I'll just pencil in one of the Jupiters or Integra, if not both. But I am in the mood for a Jupiter workstation more than a performance 'board I might have to wrangle a bit more.
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

Workstations seem to be the only option in alot of cases. I don't think it is necessarily the Sequencer that people want, but being 16 part multitimbral is more what I am interested and a proper separate drum track. I have been disappointed with the lack of "program mode" and quick access to live sets and categories and also the lack of a proper drum track/arp in the JP80. Maybe they are more of a standard setup in a workstation. I thought the percussion part was more of a drum track but alas not really. The JP80 is an interesting beast and quite different from anything else I've seen or used. I'd be happy to buy a Kronos without a sequencer built in if everything else stayed. Or if the JP80 moved a bit more towards a workstation layout as I mentioned above but thats just my needs. It's frustrated me that I can't get a work flow I need and alas a workstation it has to be for me.
Dany

Post by Dany »

shaneblyth wrote:I have been disappointed with the lack of "program mode" and quick access to live sets and categories...
I don't understand your statement, as you have quicker access to JP-80 sounds, resp. LiveSets, than on any other synth/workstation I know...

You can assign LiveSets to the colored buttons in the System Settings. If you hit those buttons twice, a window with a list of LiveSets from the choosen category will open.

And as it is possible to assign LiveSets from any category to the colored buttons by using the "Alternate" button, you have finally many LiveSets and LiveSet categories immediately available for Lower and Upper part with the push of a single button.

And there are of course also the additional LiveSet category tabs on the touchscreen itself available (when you push the colored buttons twice in "Alternate" mode, or if you just push the name of the LiveSet in the Registration main screen), which is finally exactly the same principle to choose sounds, as it is e.g. on the Kronos...

PS: You don't need a "program mode" on the JP-80, as it is in constant program mode. You just have to realize, that you have three edit levels: 1. Registration, 2. LiveSet, 3. Tone
;)
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

Yes i kind of get where your coming from but my brain just doesnt think like that it must be too old. I can kind of live with it but the drum tracks are missing its always a straw that breaks it for you
Dany

Post by Dany »

shaneblyth wrote:Yes i kind of get where your coming from but my brain just doesnt think like that it must be too old. I can kind of live with it but the drum tracks are missing its always a straw that breaks it for you
LOL...we are never too old to learn new things...;)

I fully agree with you concerning the drum track.
As it is possible to load any midi files, like drum patterns, into the JP-80 Arpeggiator, the JP-80 would offer a drum track, if the Arpeggiator could be assigned to the Perc Part. It is hard to understand, why Roland didn't offer this simple option.
As the Arp works only for the Upper and Lover LiveSets, we could trigger drum patterns in the LiveSets, BUT AGAIN, Roland just restricted the access to the Drum Sets in the LiveSets and they are only accessible in the Perc Part, which again isn't accessible by the Arpeggiator to trigger drum patterns.
So Roland....why all those self-imposed restrictions?
-
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

Yes too many restrictions. Well said
Dany

Post by Dany »

shaneblyth wrote:Yes too many restrictions. Well said
As an alternative solution, you can still just load drum loops / tracks into the existing JP-80 Song Player...
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth »

Dany wrote:
shaneblyth wrote:Yes too many restrictions. Well said
As an alternative solution, you can still just load drum loops / tracks into the existing JP-80 Song Player...
yes true but it is a slow clunky way of doing things. It's like somethings are half thought through or in beta still and lack all the features.
mattsuomi

Post by mattsuomi »

Reading this thread makes me feel like a dinosaur... A floundering brontosaurus to be exact. I'm strictly a gig guy, no production work to speak of. I do so many different types of gigs, however, the workstation environment comes in very handy (16 part, USUALLY a huge memory, excellent effect and control routing). I see more and more performing keyboardists with the laptop/vst rig, so maybe I am being left in the dust, and maybe its time to take the plunge. When Muse came out with the receptor I thought I was going to take the leap, but for some reason couldn't do it... Instead I bought a workstation, and glad I did. I hope the age of the workstation has not come to an end. I ask though- where do workstations go from here?? I see products on the market like the studioblade, and think why would anyone purchase that thing when they can purchase a Mac and a controller? It seems all of the manufacturers have cashed in on their history lately: kronos, Jupiter, pc3k, et al. Whatever technology comes next, I hope it is somehow packaged into a workstation. Whatever that will mean.
lekanout

Post by lekanout »

Devnor wrote:
LOL @ kronos "domination".

I'm trying to resist commenting but I might not be successful... ! lol ;)
Hey guys,i've sold my plastic kronos to buy my Jupiter 80 you know.:-)

Own perception is a thing,reality another.
In the market actually it's more a kronos domination than another synth.(in term of sales)

I don't like that,but it's the truth.
But i don't think it's more for the"workstation"deal than the 9 engines etc.

I don't think there is so many people producing and recording in the workstation like a kronos.
I always loved workstation since i was a baby,but actually i 'm recording in my powerful computer,not in a synth.
Hardware is for ideas,computer generally for producing.

Time has changed..
I don't think roland has to produce anoother workstation..
I would prefer some new engines in my jupiter 80 and it will be great for me.

And if you want the last great roland workstation,it's easy:
Take a used fantom G at a good price,buy a integra 7,and work in multitimbral recording the integra in the fantom G.
It's a very good workstation actually.
lekanout

Post by lekanout »

I think people are completely misreading the market. The Kronos and Motif, keyboards which are selling very well, are workstations, and I haven't run across hardly a post asking for either company to drop the sequencers from either. If anything, I've seen more from people asking for more sequencer features, especially for the Kronos.
Motif is selling less actually.
People who buy motif are diverse,they like it because it's a good and very reliable "all in a box"synth.
For gigging,etc..
Maybe not so much for producing...(but maybe i'm wrong..)
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

As we speak, I'm considering adding a Motif XF7 to my rig. Mostly for the sounds, a few 3rd party libraries and DAW control. Firewire output and iPad editors too! Oh my! Its a compelling feature set not available in anything else that I feel will further enhance my workflow.

The DAW is a necessary evil. Unless folks have identical rigs, workstations really can't support collaborative efforts without a whole lotta work.
SepticUnderground

Post by SepticUnderground »

I had a Motif XF-7, sold it and got a MOTIF XS rack....again

I just didnt use all those sequencer/workstation stuff, its only clumsy when you use a DAW like Logic.
only downside is that the rack doesnt have sampleram. But there are more than enough good sounds inside.

I had a Motif XS rack before i owned the XF7, and didnt notice any big change in the factory soundset, although it is double in side MB-wise

i would get the integra7+XS rack instead of a Motif XF-7 board :)

DAW control with the motif is also clumsy. yoo have to switch back and forth from synth to midi editor mode
knolan

Post by knolan »

Dany wrote:
shaneblyth wrote:I have been disappointed with the lack of "program mode" and quick access to live sets and categories...
I don't understand your statement, as you have quicker access to JP-80 sounds, resp. LiveSets, than on any other synth/workstation I know...

You can assign LiveSets to the colored buttons in the System Settings. If you hit those buttons twice, a window with a list of LiveSets from the choosen category will open.

And as it is possible to assign LiveSets from any category to the colored buttons by using the "Alternate" button, you have finally many LiveSets and LiveSet categories immediately available for Lower and Upper part with the push of a single button.

And there are of course also the additional LiveSet category tabs on the touchscreen itself available (when you push the colored buttons twice in "Alternate" mode, or if you just push the name of the LiveSet in the Registration main screen), which is finally exactly the same principle to choose sounds, as it is e.g. on the Kronos...

PS: You don't need a "program mode" on the JP-80, as it is in constant program mode. You just have to realize, that you have three edit levels: 1. Registration, 2. LiveSet, 3. Tone
;)

Dany - can you allocate any liveset of your chooce to any button in the upper or lower section irrespective of what catgory its in? In other words, could you allocate a strings liveset to the piano button?

And - can you make that the default / permanent allocation for the JP 80 - that is - can you save these liveset allocations.

Im searching the manual for these features currently, but cant find them.

Any clarity on how to personalise the buttons, and save them as a default, would be appeciated ( including Manual sections / pages to read)

Thanks,
Kevin.
cello

Post by cello »

In a word, no. When selecting what sound you allocate to the piano button, anything that is not categorised as a piano will be greyed out and thus not assignable to the piano button.

That said, you can cheat :) You can take a string ensemble and save it under an Ac piano category. This will then make it selectable for the piano button.