Synth Legends for Jupiters

Forum for JUPITER-80
vxfan

Synth Legends for Jupiters

Post by vxfan »

Does the Synth Legends Roland released give you additional waveforms/PCMs? Or is is just tone/live set/ registration data?
PauloF

Re: Synth Legends for Jupiters

Post by PauloF »

vxfan wrote:Does the Synth Legends Roland released give you additional waveforms/PCMs? Or is is just tone/live set/ registration data?
If I'm not mistaken, Just TONES and LiveSet/Registration data

The same applies to the Integra-7 Synth Legends
cello

Post by cello »

PauloF is right - as always!

Just data. New PCM/waveforms would require an OS update.
vxfan

Post by vxfan »

I had not decided if I would download or not but that helps my decision Thanks!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

cello wrote:PauloF is right - as always!

Just data. New PCM/waveforms would require an OS update.

Not always Cello...not always... ;-D
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

When the Jupiter-80 was updated with the version 2 OS that was the moment when I made a move to get the Jupiter-80. The added filters is what I was looking! I have not downloaded the Synth Legends sounds into my Jupiter-80, though if it had added wave data I would have. I have no idea if it would need an OS update or not to add more wave data. I guess it depends if the PCM/waveform data was in a seperate flash RAM or something and how much additional memory the JP-80 has. I really cannot say. No biggie because I own half of the actual synths from Synth Legends and program my own sounds anyway to emulate my original patches from those old guys on the Jupiter-80. New arpegiator settings might be cool but I got the Jupiter-80 strictly to be my performance synth and leave my old classics safe in the studio. Would be interesting if there was a new OS upadate from Roland but I am doubtful it is needed/will happen unless for bug fixes. I am satisfied with the Jupiter-80 as it is for my performance set-up.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Synthtron wrote:When the Jupiter-80 was updated with the version 2 OS that was the moment when I made a move to get the Jupiter-80. The added filters is what I was looking! I have not downloaded the Synth Legends sounds into my Jupiter-80, though if it had added wave data I would have. I have no idea if it would need an OS update or not to add more wave data. I guess it depends if the PCM/waveform data was in a seperate flash RAM or something and how much additional memory the JP-80 has. I really cannot say. No biggie because I own half of the actual synths from Synth Legends and program my own sounds anyway to emulate my original patches from those old guys on the Jupiter-80. New arpegiator settings might be cool but I got the Jupiter-80 strictly to be my performance synth and leave my old classics safe in the studio. Would be interesting if there was a new OS upadate from Roland but I am doubtful it is needed/will happen unless for bug fixes. I am satisfied with the Jupiter-80 as it is for my performance set-up.

Until there is no OS update that allows for importing waves (SN-A or PCM), the only updates that we will get from Roland are different Tones, LiveSets and Registrations, but ALL based on actual waves that are already on the machine, I'm afraid. :-(
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Synthtron wrote:... The added filters is what I was looking! ... No biggie because I own half of the actual synths from Synth Legends and program my own sounds anyway to emulate my original patches from those old guys on the Jupiter-80.
How close to the original sounds are you able to get? I have been listening to comparisons of the Synth Legends tones and the original tones. The emulation quality varies a lot. Some of the tones are really close, especially sharp/bright/aggressive tones, e.g leads. But other tones are way off the mark, especially soft/full/evolving tones, e.g. brass, basses, strings.

The Synth Legends pack is generally adept at emulating the basic tones but they lack the polish and subtleties of the originals. For instance, tones often appear to miss some layers/frequencies, resulting in a thinner sound. Tones frequently lack complexities (e.g. envelopes), going straight for the sustained tone without the nice build-up/variations. Also, the tones are generally too sterile, lacking the subtle detune/drift/warmth of the originals. The brass sounds in particular fail in all these areas.

I don't know if these differences are due to poor programming in Synth Legends, or if this reflects limitations in the Jupiter-80 synth engine. This forum has pointed out several limitations in the synth engine compared to the originals. Also, the "analog feel" setting (Pro Edit) on the Jupiter-80 appears to have little effect, especially compared to the "slop" setting on the Prophet 12.

I have never owned or played an analog synth. But I have become fascinated enough by the sounds that I have now aquired an Alpha Juno 1 with a PG-300 programmer. Unfortunately, the synth turned out to be an american model (120v) with a european cable (240v), so I blew the fuse when I turned it on. I'm currently waiting for a new fuse and a 240v->120v transformer so that I can actually start playing with this thing. :)
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Some of the sounds are close and I agree some are off. In a mix with effects though you really would not be able to tell. The thing is I think they are trying to emulate factory patches (some one help me out if I am wrong) on those classics. When Synth Legends was about to be released, I was really hoping for an Update where perhaps the Jupiter would have been given more editable parameters or at least have been given more of the behaviors of the original synths. For instance, I have a Juno-60 and Juno-106 and I can get some interesting sounds using the Voltage Controlled Filter and Resonance that the Jupiter's Supernatural Synth just cannot emulate because of the nature of the analog components and how the behave as they interact together. Same goes with the pulse width modulation I am able to get different sounds on the real classics that the Jupiter's Synth engine cannot produce. I am not knocking the Jupiter, it is just the way it is. I have a D-50 and so many sounds I make utilize cyclical looped waveforms that the Jupiter does not have. Also the D-50 has many one shot, non looping waves that are not multi-sampled so when you go up or down the keyboard those sounds/waves get interesting out of their realistic range. The Jupiter cannot produce those kinds of sounds because it has multi-sampled sounds. Now the Jupiter does have some of the spectrum type waveforms like the D-50. Infact some of the waveforms are the same as from the JD-800 which carried on through several generations up to the fantoms and new Jupiters.

I guess what I am saying in a nut shell is that in my case, many of my own patches, the ones I created on the classic synths are not possible to recreate on the JP-80 because the JP-80 is missing the building blocks needed. As far as Synth Legends goes it is just new sounds/live sets/registrations that utilize the resources the Jupiter-80 already has. I think if people want the classic sounds, get the original.

The Jupiter-80 is great at what it does but to do side by side comparisons is unrealistic and unfair to the JP-80 when it comes to creating your own patches. In my opinion I think it was a ballsy and a little silly too, on Roland's part to do a side by side comparison of the JP-80 with the originals. Now The Jupiter-80 can recreate JV/XP/XV/Fantom sounds because it has many of the same building blocks but can go a step further with its synth engine. I guess kind of like a Fantom Engine mixed with a SH-01 Gaia.

I guess it depends on the user and what they are after. If there is no experience with the original classic synths I do not think it is going to matter to the end user anyway really.

The Jupiter-80 is capable of fat sounds and has massive layering capabilities that the old synths do not.

Boy, I am just a rambling on sorry... Hope what I said was helpful in some way keep in mind this is from my perspective and experience.