Exactly what gets backed up?

Forum for JUPITER-80
Rodan

Exactly what gets backed up?

Post by Rodan »

As a new JP-80 owner, I'm still trying to understand the basic architecture so this question is really simple.

What does the Backup to USB flash drive save? The manual says all the "settings" currently saved to the internal memory are duplicated to the USB drive. Sounds good, but just to be sure I wanted to ask if my understanding is correct.

I am used to a synthesizer having some oscillators or tones or samples that get combined and modified to produce the final audio output. When I read "settings", I think of all the details about those combinations and routing, but not to include the fundamental samples or tones themselves. Is it the case that for the JP-80, those fundamental building blocks (called partials?) are permanent and therefore not part of a backup? Really just trying to be sure that there isn't something else to be backed up. Also implied by this is that these fundamental tones and samples can not be updated, at least not by the user.

Thanks. I'll keep reading and pushing buttons. Just don't want to come on the forum later with a question and have someone reply, "Oh you really shouldn't have pushed that button!"
kimsnarf

Re: Exactly what gets backed up?

Post by kimsnarf »

Welcome to the JP-80 club! :)

Everything that you can modify (i.e. break) is backed up, including "patches" (registrations, live sets, tones). You can also do a full factory reset to get back to the original state. So do try every button and every option! :)

It is correct that the samples are built-in and can't be modified. Nor are they backed up, for this reason.

Enjoy!
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

Thanks, kimsnarf. Just what I was hoping to hear.
cello

Post by cello »

Note that also backed up is your arps. This is sometimes overlooked - if you do a factory restore any arps you've imported (SMFs) will be lost.