JP80 as multitimbral soundsource

Forum for JUPITER-80
ANHB

JP80 as multitimbral soundsource

Post by ANHB »

Hi there,

I have had the JP80 for some time now and have "just" used it for playing.
However, I now have enough material to start scetching in my DAW and hope to use the sounds of the JP in that process. I am quite confused by the manual and reviews on what the Jupiter can do in that context and how to do it.
Is it correctly understood that each registration "layer" can have its own midi chanal = 4 channal multitimbrality?
If so, will I have to manually set the JP to an empty registration to avoid effect ettings etc. to carry on onto my sound selections??

I am sure that this is as close to a stupid question as it gets, but I simply cant crack the nut...

Br and thanks in advance
moogmaniac

Re: JP80 as multitimbral soundsource

Post by moogmaniac »

I have just been using my JP-80 with Cubase, via the USB connection.

As you guessed, each layer within a registration has its own midi channel iirc it is C1 for the Upper Layer, C2 for the lower, C3 for Solo and C4 for Perc. These can be changed in the System Folder of the Menu section.

Regarding effects, I set up a new registration, so that I could control the effects for each layer separately - I was trying to create 4 piece Brass section.

The JP-80 sounded fantastic - as good as any in my Kontakt libraries.

I did this mostly by trial and error, so have a go and see how you get on.
Shambler

Post by Shambler »

It would be nice if Roland could offer an update of a multi-timbral mode where you have 10 midi channels, 1 per tone so you have individual control over each tone...this will never happen but it would be useful =)
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Shambler wrote:It would be nice if Roland could offer an update of a multi-timbral mode where you have 10 midi channels, 1 per tone so you have individual control over each tone...this will never happen but it would be useful =)
Why would you want to give up the power of live sets for a whole bunch of simple tones? What you described does exist...its called Integra 7.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Devnor wrote:
Shambler wrote:It would be nice if Roland could offer an update of a multi-timbral mode where you have 10 midi channels, 1 per tone so you have individual control over each tone...this will never happen but it would be useful =)
Why would you want to give up the power of live sets for a whole bunch of simple tones? What you described does exist...its called Integra 7.
And not 10 MIDI channels, but the whole 16!!
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

?
Shambler

Post by Shambler »

Devnor wrote:
I don't see why anyone would be against having the flexibility of both options, with double the poly of an integra-7 for DAW use and a performance mode for live use.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Shambler wrote:
Devnor wrote:
I don't see why anyone would be against having the flexibility of both options, with double the poly of an integra-7 for DAW use and a performance mode for live use.
No, and in fact it would be nice if Roland's new workstation (if Roland goes that root) would have at least 256 voice polyphony, Multi Layer, multitimbral, control external MIDI devices, DAW integration, Stand-alone/ VST editor, SuperNatural, Sequencer, Sampler, etc, etc, all the bells and whistles we could find in Jupiter-80, Fantoms and V-Synths combined. That would be a killer synth ;-)
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

?
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Those other forums have been predicting the demise of Roland for years. Oooh when some retailer decides to stop stocking Roland products, suddenly its a worldwide situation! But if you really want to believe what these other folks think its probably good news to know Roland synthesizers are not manufactured in Italy.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

PauloF wrote:No, and in fact it would be nice if Roland's new workstation (if Roland goes that root) would have at least 256 voice polyphony, Multi Layer, multitimbral, control external MIDI devices, DAW integration, Stand-alone/ VST editor, SuperNatural, Sequencer, Sampler, etc, etc, all the bells and whistles we could find in Jupiter-80, Fantoms and V-Synths combined. That would be a killer synth ;-)
Paulo, if you add a Fantom-G to your I7 and XT, you will pretty much have that ;-)

P.S. Belated congratulations on your 3000th post!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

JunoJohn wrote:
PauloF wrote:No, and in fact it would be nice if Roland's new workstation (if Roland goes that root) would have at least 256 voice polyphony, Multi Layer, multitimbral, control external MIDI devices, DAW integration, Stand-alone/ VST editor, SuperNatural, Sequencer, Sampler, etc, etc, all the bells and whistles we could find in Jupiter-80, Fantoms and V-Synths combined. That would be a killer synth ;-)
Paulo, if you add a Fantom-G to your I7 and XT, you will pretty much have that ;-)

P.S. Belated congratulations on your 3000th post!
I know, the problem is to find one for a good price and in good shape these days ;-)
I was just talking hypothetically (like the politicians do... lol)

Thanks for the congrats... didn't notice until you claimed my attention...jiiii