How to set the output MIDI channel ?

Forum for JUPITER-80
knolan

How to set the output MIDI channel ?

Post by knolan »

Hi -

I can't figure out how to set the output midi channel for the JP80. Can anyone point to this? Say I want to play the JP80 keyboard and have it transmit on one channel, say channel 2, to a DAW. How would I do that?

In system setup I see settings for Part Channel for each of the 4 parts of a registration; but find this confusing:

1. Is this the MIDI in for each part?

2. Do these channels remain the same for all Registrations?

3. What is the "Registration Control Channel"? Is this MIDI in and MIDU out for a Registration - as in - if playing the JP80 keyboard, this one MIDI control channel will be transmitted to MIDI Out; or alternatively if receiving midi notes on this channel, will all parts of a registration respond to this channel?

Overall,the JP80 seems confusing w.r.t to MIDI. Any explanations greatly appreciated; and if anyone from Roland is reading - please draft a 1-2 page tutorial on how the JP80 works MIDI wise and on how to integrate it to a DAW environment.

Any info I find in the coming days / weeks I'll post here for general reference.

Thanks as always,
Kevin.
SoundworldA.D.

Re: How to set the output MIDI channel ?

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

I have never used my JP-80 with a DAW, but did have all kinds of problems setting up the MIDI originally since I control my whole rig from a Roland MC-80. I could successfully control the JP-80 from the OASYS which I use as my main keyboard, but not all parts on the Registration and the arpeggiator would be available on the control channel. Here's what it says about that:

Remote
Keyboard
Switch
OFF, ON

Turn this “ON” if you’re using an external MIDI
keyboard instead of the JUPITER-80’s keyboard.
In this case, the MIDI transmit channel of your
external MIDI keyboard does not matter. Normally,
this can be left at “OFF.”
* If you want to control the arpeggiator from an
external MIDI device, turn this “ON.”

Look on page 91 of the Operations Manual and it has some info about "Internal/External" settings when using the Jupiter as a master.

Specifying the Transmit Channel
Set the JUPITER-80’s transmit channel so it matches the channel
your external MIDI device is using for reception.
1. In the Registration External Part screen (p. 31), touch <KBD>
to turn it on for the channel that you want to transmit.
When you play the keyboard, performance data will be transmitted
from the MIDI OUT connector on the channel you specified.

Here is what it says about the control channels on page 85 of the OM:

Registration
Control
Channel
1–16, OFF
Specifies the MIDI receive channel on which
Registrations can be switched by an external MIDI
device. Turn this “OFF” if you don’t want to switch
Registrations from a connected MIDI device.

Part Channel 1–16
Specifies the MIDI receive channel that will play
each of the JUPITER-80’s Parts (PREC, LOWER,
UPPER, SOLO), and the MIDI transmit channel on
which each Part will transmit to an external MIDI
device.

Oh well. We always knew that the Jupiter's architecture was somewhat bizarre. If not for the sounds... ;-D
knolan

Post by knolan »

Thanks a million for your reply.

I had just figured out similarly.

Specifically, for DAW control, it might be worth your while setting all 4 parts in a registration to one MIDI channel so that the JP80 is seen as a single instrument. For sure, if you want all 4 parts of a registration to be played back from one DAW MIDI track transmitting on only channel to the JP80, then the JP80 Parts of the Registration will all need to be set to that MIDI channel.

The advantage to having the 4 parts assignable to separate MIDI channels are two fold:

1. You can assign the 4 parts of a Registration to 4 DAW MIDI channels, and perform them like a 4 part multi-timbral synth.

2. You can have the JP80 (in Keyboard Split Mode) transmit on several MIDI channels to a DAW. Imagine having the Lower Part set to MIDI channel 1 and the Upper Part to MIDI channel 2 - then you could conceivably use the JP80 to play / control two separate plugins in your DAW - each assigned to the Lower and Upper MIDI channels (for example a bass in the lower part and a piano or strings in the upper Part). So the JP80 is effectively two keyboard controllers in one, in this instance.

Thanks a million for your help - much appreciated.

Kevin.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

You’re most welcome Kevin. My MIDI issues are a bit different. I control my Jupiter-80 and several other pieces of gear through the MIDI OUT 2 on my MC-80 sequencer with the OASYS as the keyboard. I have the Jupiter-80 set for MIDI 2 channels 1-4 and all of the other synth’s on MIDI 2 set for channels 5-16. All is well that way until I want to play a Registration that uses the arpeggiator. In that case, I have to set the “REMOTE KEYBOARD SWITCH to ON to playback and record the arpeggiator part.

The problem is that when I do that, it puts the Jupiter-80 into what’s analogous to what Kurzweil calls “Omni” mode. If I choose say for example my JD-990 # 1 on MIDI 2 channel 5, the JD-990 sounds (as it should), but unfortunately so does the Jupiter-80, although I only have it set for MIDI channels 1-4.

I have tried several different setups and MIDI implementations all to no avail. I have not found a way to eliminate the JP-80 from sounding on MIDI 2 channels 5-16 when that REMOTE KEYBOARD SWITCH is set to ON.

I have developed workarounds for this anomaly, but it would be nice to prevent it so I didn’t have to switch MIDI cables around when I want to use both the JUPITER-80 with an arpeggiated Registration and any of the other synths on MIDI 2 channels 5-16.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

knolan wrote: I can't figure out how to set the output midi channel for the JP80. Can anyone point to this? Say I want to play the JP80 keyboard and have it transmit on one channel, say channel 2, to a DAW. How would I do that?
Enter single play mode
Select any preset from the lower liveset
You can assign the 4 parts of a Registration to 4 DAW MIDI channels, and perform them like a 4 part multi-timbral synth.
This is how I'm using my Jupiter with Logic. I don't play registrations solely.
Specifically, for DAW control, it might be worth your while setting all 4 parts in a registration to one MIDI channel so that the JP80 is seen as a single instrument. For sure, if you want all 4 parts of a registration to be played back from one DAW MIDI track transmitting on only channel to the JP80, then the JP80 Parts of the Registration will all need to be set to that MIDI channel.
Alternatively you could create 4 external midi tracks, all different channels. Record enable all. When you record your take, Logic inserts aliases into 3 of those 4 tracks.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

knolan wrote:Thanks a million for your reply.

I had just figured out similarly.

The advantage to having the 4 parts assignable to separate MIDI channels are two fold:

1. You can assign the 4 parts of a Registration to 4 DAW MIDI channels, and perform them like a 4 part multi-timbral synth.

2. You can have the JP80 (in Keyboard Split Mode) transmit on several MIDI channels to a DAW. Imagine having the Lower Part set to MIDI channel 1 and the Upper Part to MIDI channel 2 - then you could conceivably use the JP80 to play / control two separate plugins in your DAW - each assigned to the Lower and Upper MIDI channels (for example a bass in the lower part and a piano or strings in the upper Part). So the JP80 is effectively two keyboard controllers in one, in this instance.

Thanks a million for your help - much appreciated.

Kevin.
You're absolutely right Kevin and the JP-80 can even do better by being 4 (layer or split) Keyboard controllers at once, each one controlling a different track via its specific MIDI channel .

That is powerful!