Roland WNA1100-RL - where to purchase?

Forum for JUPITER-80
tnicoson

Re: Roland WNA1100-RL - where to purchase?

Post by tnicoson »

Roy

The Roland wireless connection works with Roland's entire new line of synths - the Juno-Di and Gi, and the Jupiter 50 and 80, and I believe, in some fashion, with the Integra-7, and is intended to connect them wirelessly to the various Apple devices. For the Jupiter 50 and 80, its main advantage is to connect them wirelessly to the iPad in order to use the remote Synth Editor without that accursed Camera Adapter Kit and its attending cable putting undue physical stress on the iPad's connector. BUT . . . since I have installed it, I have found the main advantage, for me, to be the wireless connection to the Roland Air Recorder App on the iPad (or iPhone). If I just want to do a quick simple two track stereo record, I bring up the App and get a virtual recorder with a huge record button in the middle of the screen. I just tap the record button, play my piece, tap the record button again, and there is my work - no searching for a tiny little record button amidst a myriad of other tiny little buttons on the keyboard with its convoluted record process. AND . . . when I play it back, it plays back through the keyboard's sound circuits and whatever sound system it is connected to. Really neat, and currently this is its advantage to the Juno-Di and Gi.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Ted -

I'm grateful for your posts -(all of which is surely technically sound - no argument there (don't know enough to argue!!)).

Here's how it is currently in Ireland: Iuse one of the Broadband suppliuers: UPC Broadband. It is totally standard. I used to be with another service provider called Eircom; and I'm currently contempating moving to Sky Broadband.

In all cases - at least with Eircom and UPC (and I'm confdent with Sky too) - all I need to do is:

- power on the router
- power on my laptop
- choose the new wireless network in my laptop desktop (double click on the wirless icon)
- enter a security key given to me by Eircom / UPC (printed on the underside of teh router or in the manual provided)
- that's it - I'm connected.

I have done this over two service providers and for the following devices:

- 2 iPhones
- 1 iPad
- 1 MBP
- I ASUS Netbook

Similarly, when I attend science and music Confereces, or go into a Cafe with Broadband, I do the same - type in the security key and that's it - the sum total of it.

Am I wrong in thinking it's the same in other countries? I've been the UK and France a lot and find usually its the same there. If so - why can't I just power on my Jupiter 80, have it find the list of wireless networks currently available and enter the security key?

Either way - could you describe the procedure (as generically as you can - or the process you followed) to enter a PassCode?

cheers,
Kevin.

PS - Ted - doe the Roland Air app record Audio or MIDI?
Thanks!
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

OK Kevin

We are in business. You have said the correct words.

So, in Ireland, the service provider DOES provide the local wireless network. I am not sure how many, if any, service providers here in the US do that yet. Most just provide the facility and modem, and it is up to the consumer to provide the internal wired or wireless network, but that may be changing and I am just not aware of it.

Anyway, your key word is, of all things, "SECURITY KEY". Any where in the foregoing that I have used the word "PASSCODE" substitute "SECURITY KEY". That is what you need to enter into your WNA-1100 set up, but you will need to do this at each different location where you intend to connect wirelessly to the JP. If that locale does not offer WiFi, then you will need to use AD HOC set up there.

So, to set it up there at home: Plug the WNA-1100 in to JP and power it up NORMALLY. Do not hold the PLAY key down as you power it up. Once it's up, press the MENU button, cursor down to WIRELESS, press ENTER, press SEL AP (for SELECT ACCESS POINT), highlight your access point, if it is not already highlighted, press CONNECT, enter your SECURITY KEY from the bottom of your router and press CONNECT. In a few seconds the display should confirm that you are connected and you should be all set. BUT . . . keep in mind that it is YOUR local network's security that is requiring all this. Roland and Net Gear are just trying to comply with this security to get you connected.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

PS

The Air Recorder records AUDIO not MIDI, and it only records 2 track stereo. It is good quality, but not a multi-tracker, but it is the easiest stereo "QUICK" recorder I have ever used. Give Roland some time and I think we may see some other features, like MIDI connect, ported to wireless. This will probably come as retro-fits from features added for new boards - like the Di and Gi benefited from the JP wireless, or maybe it was the JP's that benefited from the Di/Gi wireless. Maybe this is the time for me to say that this stuff is REALLY IMPORTANT to me as I think we are on the brink of a whole new technology fusion here. I would love to be able to connect my keyboard to my PC without that accursed USB cable. I no longer need the thing to connect my printer, so why not do the same for my keyboard. I would hate to see this get lost because it is too technically complicated or its usefulness misunderstood by the potential user.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Thank you Ted - it worked beautifully. Just powered up, entered Wireless setup, selected AP, chose my home LAN, entered my security key and got connected !

Much appreciated !!

Best regards,
Kevin.
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

That's great, Kev ! Glad you got it sorted !

Now, we just need to convince Roy that he needs an iPad so we can get him hooked on this stuff too. That way he will know where we are coming from. ;-)

Hey ! Give that Air Recorder App a try, when you get a chance !

Regards,

Ted
RoyR

Post by RoyR »

Trust me guys...I'd love this feature if I had an I-Pad. I generally have resisted the "Apple Collective" and have used non-proprietary things over the years--PC instead of Mac; Android instead of IOS; generic MP3 player instead of I-pod; etc etc.

But having a wireless connection for recording would be very handy, even though moving the USB memory stick back and forth isn't too much of an inconvenience for me. And I haven't done any heavy-duty sound editing requiring the screen on an I-pad, so the I-Pad editor is not high on my wish-list.

So...carry on with the wireless feature. I'll admire it from the sidelines!

Until Roland comes out with a wireless app for my Nexus 7! :)

--Roy
knolan

Post by knolan »

You right Ted - so Roy - here's my reasons why the iPad is so useful (I've only just discovered this and it's important!):

The biggest issue for me has been getting to edit individual synth tones (and partials) when they are buried inside livesets which are inside registrations.

What has gone almost under the radar (or is that wireless!!) - is an excellent feature of the iPad JP80 editor that I do not believe is available on the JP80 screen (though will be delighted to stand corrected on this if I'm ignorant of it):

- on the JP80 iPad app, the top of the screen has two sets of 4 buttons - one set for switching on and off the individual synth tones for the Upper Liveset, and one set of 4 buttons for turning on and off the individual synth tones of the Lower Liveset. There are also 2 x 4 buttons for selecting which synth tone you want to edit. So - instantly available on the iPad screen is the capacity to select the synth tone to edit and to turn on and off any individual synth tone, and this make is possible to edit the JP80 individual synth tones easily - and as crucially - to turn them back on one at a time, in any combination, when designing new layered sounds. Of course you also have instant access to the partial on-off and select buttons too.

I now see the iPad as necessary when designing sounds on the JP80 (I'm a synth programmer / sound designer by nature so this is always important to me).

Also - choosing the PCM waveforms as Synth Tone oscillators is very pleasurable as a drop down menu appears with a scrollable list of the PCM Waveform names. I'm a big fan and user of the JD800 (I own several of them in a two room music facility) - and almost all of the JD800 waveforms are in there. So the JP80 has this excellent JD800/JD990 dimension to it too. I'm also discovering that the filters on the JP80 synth tones are earnest, deep, rich and full. The JP80 is turning out, for me, to be a strong sounding instrument - and Roy - extremely editable under the control of the iPad app.

Roy - try out the iPad app - it is worth it!!
Dany

Post by Dany »

knolan wrote:What has gone almost under the radar (or is that wireless!!) - is an excellent feature of the iPad JP80 editor that I do not believe is available on the JP80 screen (though will be delighted to stand corrected on this if I'm ignorant of it)...
Yes, I am happy to do this again (although I've described it already in your legendary JP-80 disappointment thread), as you will find ALL the functions you've mentioned in your above post, on the JP-80 itself!

You can immediately access Synth Tone Edit (if it is a SN Synth Tone), resp. LiveSet Tone Modify (if it is SN Acoustic Tone) by pressing the SHIFT button and the colored sound category buttons.

The first four colored category buttons of the Lower LiveSet correspond to Lower LiveSet Layer 1 to 4 and the first four colored category buttons of the Upper LiveSet correspond to Upper LiveSet Layer 1 to 4 . So you can access SN Synth Tone edit or SN Acoustic Tone Modify instantly.

If you press SHIFT and the last three colored category buttons of Lower (resp. Upper) LiveSet you can likewise immediately access the Common, the Layer and the Effect Tab of Lower and Upper LiveSet.

Further, if you are in SN Synth Edit mode, the Part On/Off Buttons (PERC, LOWER, UPPER , SOLO) under the nice LED Faders, will correspond to the yellow virtual Synth Partial 1, Partial 2 and Partial 3 switch buttons.
By pressing SHIFT, the Part On/Off Button's red LED lights will turn to green and will correspond to the orange virtual Partial 1, Partial 2 and Partial 3 edit Select buttons.

Also, if you enter LiveSet Edit mode by pressing the virtual Lower or Upper LiveSet Edit button or the fields with the Upper Lower LiveSet's volume indications in the right bottom of the Registration main screen, the four Part On/Off Buttons (PERC, LOWER, UPPER , SOLO) under the nice LED Faders will correspond to the red virtual Part On/Off switch buttons for the four LiveSet layers (and the LED Faders will then correspond to the LiveSet layer's volume).
In order to control the On/OFF Switch and volume of the Registration's Perc, Lower/Upper LiveSet and Solo Parts, while beeing in LiveSet Edit mode, you can press SHIFT and the Buttons and LED Faders will indicate the value and correspond to those four Registration Parts, instead to the On/Off and volume control of the four LiveSet layers, resp SN Tones.

You also wrote: "Also - choosing the PCM waveforms as Synth Tone oscillators is very pleasurable as a drop down menu appears with a scrollable list of the PCM Waveform names."

But you can also do this already directly on the JP-80's touchscreen by touching the PCM Wave number select field and then pressing the ENTER button. (You can also hit the small select field twice). You can finally choose any parameter on the JP-80 touchscreen and press ENTER in order to get a drop down menu with a scrollable list of the values or names...

Good luck my friend... ;)
knolan

Post by knolan »

HI Dany -

Thanks a million for these pointers - I had missed that post by you before; and now see those options mentioned in the parameter guide.

I have to admit to still finding that tricky. I don't want to restart that whole thread again and these features you mention are useful - but I still find the iPad app significantly better - because you can access both live sets on the one screen to effectively power OFF seven of the eight synth tones to concentrate on any one. ITs just not that easy on the JP80 itself - you have to navigate into each Live set and out of it again and hence the overview picture is never there. On the iPad - it's all laid out in front of you as 8 select buttons and 8 on off buttons. I'm not trying to be pedantic here - as a programmer this is critical for me. As it stands still having to save everything within live sets and registrations in going to be an eternal frustration; but for me, the iPad app make all the difference in the world (and I can assure you its largely why I wont sell my JP80 and instead find its features actually usable.) But I accept that's me, and will fully concede I'm a bit particular in this regard.

Nevertheless - I wasn't aware of the features you point out and they help immensely (in fact pressing SHIFT and the buttons you mention looks seriously impressive as you switch between synth tones - it gives you a true sense that over the two live sets there really are 8 synthesisers layered and indeed gives a true sense of the depth and breath of the instrument, and in a way that the iPad app does not visually do :-) ).

Cheers,
Kevin.
joaotragtenberg

Post by joaotragtenberg »

Hello Kevin,
You said you could connect your keyboard with the WNA1100-RL to your Mac computer?
Is this driver available?
Do you need this driver?
Does it only send MIDI information? OSC? How is the latency?
How long can it be trustable?

Thank you!