Roland WNA1100-RL - where to purchase?

Forum for JUPITER-80
knolan

Roland WNA1100-RL - where to purchase?

Post by knolan »

Anyone know where to buy a Roland WNA1100-RL internationally (I'm in Ireland)?

Amazon.co.uk is the recommended Amazon shop for Ireland - but many sellers will not ship to Ireland, including all sellers of the Roland WNA1100-RL :-(

Any recommended sellers appreciated (or - can I use another make of Wireless USB Adapter?)/

Thanks,
Kevin
Devnor

Re: Roland WNA1100-RL - where to purchase?

Post by Devnor »

howardS

Post by howardS »

Many people on this board, including myself, have used just the run of the mill WNA1100 from Netgear with various Roland pieces of Roland gear. I use it with my RD700NX and have no issue with it. I think I have seen people here talk about good results with the Integra-7 as well. Knolan, you may want to canvass other JP-80 owners to see if they have been able to get the standard WNA1100 to work for them on the JP-80 before paying extra for the word Roland to be printed onto the stick. ...just a suggestion.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

howardS wrote:Many people on this board, including myself, have used just the run of the mill WNA1100 from Netgear with various Roland pieces of Roland gear. I use it with my RD700NX and have no issue with it. I think I have seen people here talk about good results with the Integra-7 as well. Knolan, you may want to canvass other JP-80 owners to see if they have been able to get the standard WNA1100 to work for them on the JP-80 before paying extra for the word Roland to be printed onto the stick. ...just a suggestion.
I just bought a Netgear WNA1100 via Amazon from a German supplier and it was very cheap ( €15,00) and works really well with the Integra-7.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Thanks for the advice. I just bought one too - if it doesn't work it's not an expensive mistake and will surely be useful elsewhere. I'll report back on whether it works.

What about this WPS business roland refer to - I see no reference to that in any documentation or online tech spport or FAQs from my ISP - is this an obsecure security protocol and does it mean that people in general are not using their Wireless network and are having to resort to ad-hoc mode? I ask because I intend using my ipad for multiple musical purposes simultaneously, so not being able to use wirelss is an issue. Any comments on this?

cheers,
Kevin.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Here is the explanation of WPS straight from netgear.

I just connect mine to a wifi router the usual way (without WPS) and bring the router with to gigs.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

knolan wrote:Thanks for the advice. I just bought one too - if it doesn't work it's not an expensive mistake and will surely be useful elsewhere. I'll report back on whether it works.

What about this WPS business roland refer to - I see no reference to that in any documentation or online tech spport or FAQs from my ISP - is this an obsecure security protocol and does it mean that people in general are not using their Wireless network and are having to resort to ad-hoc mode? I ask because I intend using my ipad for multiple musical purposes simultaneously, so not being able to use wirelss is an issue. Any comments on this?

cheers,
Kevin.
Hi Kevin, WPS is not an obscure protocol at all. It is an easy way to connect wireless devices, but you need to check if your router has this feature, as not all of them have.

Please see further WPS explanation below:

WPS ( Wi-Fi Protected Setup ) provides an easy procedure to make wireless connections between wireless station and wireless access point ( Or router ) with the encryption of either WPA or WPA2. It is the simplest way to build connections between wireless network clients and routers.
Users do not need to select the encryption mode and type the long encryption passphrase to setup a wireless client every time. Users only need to press a button on wireless client, and then WPS will establish a connection between client and router automatically.

There are two types of WPS : Push-Button Configuration ( PBC ) and PIN code. To use PBC, you have to push a specific button ( Start PBC, shown in WEB configuration interface ) on the wireless client to initiate WPS mode. You will also need to switch Vigor router to WPS mode ( by pressing WPS button ).

If you want to use PIN code, you have to know the PIN code specified in the wireless client. Then enter this pin code into Wireless LAN > WPS web UI of wireless router.

WPS has to work in either WPA/PSK or WPA2/PSK mode. Therefore users have to modify Router security mode to either WPA or WPA2 before setting WPS.

I hope this helps
Cheers,
Paulo
knolan

Post by knolan »

Hi Paulo -

Thanks for the explanation. Alas I'm not clear on your explanation.

My wireless router does not have a WPS button. In fact, there is no reference to WPS whatsoever. I have checked all of the documentation and my service provider does not mention it.

When I received my router, there was a code printed on the underside of it. Any laptop wanting to connect to my wireless lan must have that code entered into the Laptop Wireless configuration to make it joint the network (presumably encrypted).

So - I have never entered any code into my router, and have never needed to. Only the laptop needs the code (PIN Code?) that was provided by my service provider.

Is this the PIN code you are referring to?

If not - where do I get the PIN code you mention, and are you saying I must enter this actually into my router - as in - get an ethernet cable and edit the router configuration? Is this what you mean in the sentence "If you want to use PIN code, you have to know the PIN code specified in the wireless client. Then enter this pin code into Wireless LAN > WPS web UI of wireless router."

And - what does the Roland JP80 need? Do I give it the same PIN code too? Overall, where do I get this code from.

Finally, your next sentence "WPS has to work in either WPA/PSK or WPA2/PSK mode" is equally confusing - are you saying that WPS or WPS2 will definitely be implemented on my router (as in, this is as standard on all routers as in using IP, for example)? If my router does not use WPS, am I unable to use the Jp80 on my network? It seems a curious restriction Roland have placed on usage, far and beyond normal Wireless Lan 'daily' activity''. for example, when staying in hotels, or using cafe Wireless, the norm is to simply be given the code to join a secure network. Shouldn't the JP80 be about the same (and why use security at all when this is not a computer and not prone to any security issues associated with computers??).

Thanks,
Kevin.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

knolan wrote:Hi Paulo -

Thanks for the explanation. Alas I'm not clear on your explanation.

My wireless router does not have a WPS button. In fact, there is no reference to WPS whatsoever. I have checked all of the documentation and my service provider does not mention it.
It seems that your router does not have WPS. Not all routers have, only the ones that allow to be a Wireless Access Point do.

knolan wrote: When I received my router, there was a code printed on the underside of it. Any laptop wanting to connect to my wireless lan must have that code entered into the Laptop Wireless configuration to make it joint the network (presumably encrypted).

So - I have never entered any code into my router, and have never needed to. Only the laptop needs the code (PIN Code?) that was provided by my service provider.

Is this the PIN code you are referring to?
That is the Wireless SSID, means the Wireless Network Name of your Wireless Connection. There are routers that allow this name to be configured internally, or even have mode that one SSID with different parameters (like having different MIDI channels where you can access different Parts/Devices and)
knolan wrote: If not - where do I get the PIN code you mention, and are you saying I must enter this actually into my router - as in - get an ethernet cable and edit the router configuration? Is this what you mean in the sentence "If you want to use PIN code, you have to know the PIN code specified in the wireless client. Then enter this pin code into Wireless LAN > WPS web UI of wireless router."

And - what does the Roland JP80 need? Do I give it the same PIN code too? Overall, where do I get this code from.
My example is from a Router with WPS. Yours seem not to have this function at all.
knolan wrote: Finally, your next sentence "WPS has to work in either WPA/PSK or WPA2/PSK mode" is equally confusing - are you saying that WPS or WPS2 will definitely be implemented on my router (as in, this is as standard on all routers as in using IP, for example)? If my router does not use WPS, am I unable to use the Jp80 on my network? It seems a curious restriction Roland have placed on usage, far and beyond normal Wireless Lan 'daily' activity''. for example, when staying in hotels, or using cafe Wireless, the norm is to simply be given the code to join a secure network. Shouldn't the JP80 be about the same (and why use security at all when this is not a computer and not prone to any security issues associated with computers??).

Thanks,
Kevin.
WPS is not the only way to connect your JP-80 to the iPad. It is one of the options.

In fact Roland gives all three options to connect via Wireless:
1- Via a WPS function provided the router has it. (Which seems not to be your case)
2- Via a Wireless LAN Access Point. In this case your router must have that function. Not all routers have this
3- If none of the above options are available, use the Ad-Hoq mode. In this case it wouldn't be possible to use the iPad to connect to anything else but the JP-80

P.S: What Brand/Model is your wireless router?

I hope this helps
Cheers,
Paulo
knolan

Post by knolan »

Just received a Netgear generic USB wireless adapter and it works fine.

I've had to resort to ad-hoc mode - that unusual WPS system Roland have put in place is not compatible with my wireless router.

Roland - if you're reading this, please remove the WPS requirement in any upcoming JP80 OS upgrades - it's not needed as there are no security issues and most wireless networks do not implement it.

Thanks,
Kevin.
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

To knolan -

AND . . . to everyone else who is under the impression that WPS is REQUIRED to connect your WNA-1100 wireless LAN adapter in your Jupiter-50/80 to your wireless router (AP - Access Point):

NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH ! ! !

WPS is NOT a necessity. It is merely an ADDED easy set up feature that allows you to bypass the requirement to enter your wireless router's password (passcode) to get the WNA-1100 connected. There is no need to make a choice between WPS and AD HOC. If your wireless router is not WPS equipped or if you elect not to use WPS, you can set up the Jupiter-50/80 and the WNA-1100 MANUALLY by following STEPS 1, 2, and 3 in the RIGHT HAND COLUMN of PAGE 2 of the WIRELESS LAN FUNCTION instruction pamphlet. The secret at this point is: DO NOT . . . DO NOT . . . DO NOT . . . hold down the PLAY button when you power up the Jupiter as instructed earlier in the set up instructions as this throws the Jupiter into WPS set up mode. Just plug in the WNA-1100 and power the Jupiter up NORMALLY. Then, press the MENU button, select WIRELESS and go from there. For JP-50 owners, the WIRELESS selection may be off the bottom of the screen, so you will probably have to press the down arrow button to cursor down to it.

NOW . . . the drawbacks . . . MANUAL set up DOES REQUIRE you to enter your wireless router's password (passcode). JP-50 owners do this with the jog-wheel and the right arrow button. (Not an easy fete with long and/or intricate passwords, but with a little patience, you can do it.) Like most passwords (passcodes), this one is case sensitive, so pay close attention to that as you enter it. If you do not know your router's passcode, your are stuck. You will need to look it up (hopefully you wrote it down somewhere) or you will have to use WPS or AD HOC. If you did not assign a passcode to your wireless router, then just enter a "blank" passcode as you are setting up the WNA-1100. It will most likely still connect. If not, you may have to go back into your router and assign a passcode to it, but this would require you to enter that passcode into all the different devices that connect to that router, so you may want to give that decision some thought before you make it. Some routers come with a default passcode and if you did not change that passcode then that is the passcode you will need to use for the WNA-1100. So just because you did not enter a passcode into your router when you got it does not necessarily mean that it does not have one. It may be using a manufacturer installed default.

The above procedure needs to be done only once - the first time you connect. After that, the Jupiter and the router will remember the connection and connect automatically. Everywhere that I have used the term "router" above also means "AP" or "Access Point", as they are usually referred to these days.

If you need the Wireless LAN Function instructions for the JP-80, you can download them here:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/? ... JUPITER-80

or for the JP-50 here:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/? ... JUPITER-50

I hope this helps everyone that has been having a problem with this.

Regards,

Ted
knolan

Post by knolan »

Hi Ted -

Thanks for this fantastic post.

I'm still unclear on what the Router Passcode is. Is this the password given to me by a service provider to allow secure access to a wireless network?

If not - I for one never received a passcode from my service provider so I do not know what that is - hence - the same problem - I will not be able to connect (though I accept you seem to indicarte solutions to that by connecting to the router but again many wouldn't have any idea on how to do this).

Again - a simple OS upgrade should make the JP80/50 as easy to access wirelss as a laptop or ipad - none of your details are needed on those deivces so why should Roland force this un-ncessary complicaiton?

As a mini-rant: even Roland documentation reveals some sort of paranoia in the company - I suspect based on fear of litegation - where they seem to over-emphasise issues such as on what USB wireless sticks to use and where if you do not use the Roland one then it might not work - where in fact they are injecting doubt and confusion over the full scope and flexibility of their own products (for example in this example of the USB wireless adapter - the generic one works - so why couldn't Roland have just stated that from the outset when surely they know that)?

Like wise, while I genuinely appreciate your excellent post - none of it should be necerssary. It is overcomplicaiton and the net result is that most JP80 users will not end up using the excellent iPad capability Roland have otherwise gone to the bother of creating; because most of us do not know what a passcode is or how to fix that aspect of required configuration.

But I'll certainly give it a try and report back.

Thanks once again,
Kevin.
RoyR

Post by RoyR »

Am I correct in assuming that if I don't own an I-Phone or similar Apple device, that the Jupiter's wireless feature is totally useless anyway? And that even my laptop can't be used to interact with the Jupiter, in any capacity?

I haven't tried the wireless feature yet, so please pardon my annoyance if it is unfounded, and there is some usefulness here even if I don't have an I-phone.

--Roy
tnicoson

Post by tnicoson »

Kevin

The passcode we are talking about has NOTHING to do with your service provider. They provide you with a network connection for your premises - either cable or satellite. They may also provide you with the modem to access that connection or you may provide the modem yourself, and in either case that provides you with network access for ONE device. If you want to connect additional devices, YOU will need to provide a router and/or switches (hubs) with additional access ports. As long as you are using all wired equipment, your internal network (LAN) stays private and can not be accessed by strangers, but if you opt for a WIRELESS router (Access Point) to avoid having to run network cabling everywhere, that wireless network can be accessed by others outside your premises (your neighbors). Therefore, YOUR wireless router (Access Point) gives YOU the option to set a PASSCODE when YOU install it. From that point on, ANY device that tries to access YOUR network must be able to provide that PASSCODE that YOU set when YOU installed YOUR wireless router (Access Point). So if you want YOUR Roland keyboard to access YOUR wireless network, it must be able to provide the PASSCODE that YOU set when YOU installed YOUR wireless router (Access Point). It does this through the set up of the WNA-1100 wireless adapter. THIS IS YOUR WIRELESS NETWORK REQUIRING THIS. NOT ROLAND OR ANYONE ELSE. Now, if YOU did not set a PASSCODE when YOU installed YOUR wireless router (Access Point) and it did not have a manufacturer installed PASSCODE, then this is a moot point. You should not need a PASSCODE to set up the WNA-1100 adapter. NOW . . . If you are in some type of complex where the owner/operator of the complex provides the wireless network access, then that owner/operator should have a NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR that can provide you with the wireless network PASSCODE, but here again, this is the "LOCAL" NETWORK requiring the PASSCODE, NOT ROLAND, NOT ANYONE ELSE. Roland can not make equipment that will just magically BYPASS NETWORK SECURITY. I am sorry to get so terse with this, but I feel it is unfair of you to rail against Roland, and those of us who are trying to help you, for your lack of knowledge of wireless networking basics, particularly when it leads others, who might be interested, astray. My whole point was to bring this discussion back on track, for everyone, that WPS equipped wireless routers are NOT required to do this. Just plain old run of the mill wireless routers without WPS will work just fine. It was not meant as a personal attack against you or anyone else. Perhaps you need to hire a professional to set this up for you.

As for your comparing the JP connection to iPad connections, I have yet to use ANY free or paid access WiFi point where I did not have to know the local network name and enter its PASSCODE the first time I connect, and this applies to my laptops, my iPad, or my Android tablet. From that point on, my device remembers the specifics, so I do not need the PASSCODE each time I connect, but I DO need it the very first time, and this is NOT MY equipment requiring this - it is the local network's security requiring it.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Hi Roy -

You are correct (at least for the JP80 - the only instrument I own and know). This is purely to access the JP80 via the iPad Editor provided by Roland.

the issue we're debating is:

- if connect via ad-hoc mode, then your iPad cannot access other wireless activities and is linked only to the JP80.

- if all devices are connected via the one wireless network then the iPad (now a mult-tasking device) can edit the JP80, but also do many other tasks via the woreless network. In my instance, that will be using iPad control of Apple Logic Pro X, among many other musical tasks.

so it is preferable to get it right.

It must be said however - that the provision (separately) of a USB driver allows for the JP80 to connect Stereo Audio and MIDI In/Out from the JP80 to a computer without the need for a separate audio interface - where an installed driver means that the JP80 has a cpnfiguration ready to use withing Logic Pro. So Roland provide good DAW integration (on Mac at least).

Kevin.