Soon to be Jupiter-80 owner.

Forum for JUPITER-80
Shambler

Soon to be Jupiter-80 owner.

Post by Shambler »

Hi all,

Recently I traded in a few pieces of gear, one of which was a VSynth-GT...although I loved the sound of the VSynth I found that it wasn't taking a prominent role in my music.

I had two keyboards on my list, the Korg Kronos X61 and the JP-80.

In error it turns out, I went for the Kronos.

I loved the sound and the flexibility, the keyboard action felt good too.

Where it all fell apart ( almost literally! ) was with the build quality...white powder where the panels rub together, noisy keyboard action, flimsy feeling controls, loud fan...sadly this was all too much and I decided I could not put up with it despite the sound and I returned it.

In the next couple of days comes it's replacement, a JP-80!...looking forward once again to the build quality of Roland and more keys than I've ever been used to :)
PauloF

Re: Soon to be Jupiter-80 owner.

Post by PauloF »

Shambler wrote:Hi all,

Recently I traded in a few pieces of gear, one of which was a VSynth-GT...although I loved the sound of the VSynth I found that it wasn't taking a prominent role in my music.

I had two keyboards on my list, the Korg Kronos X61 and the JP-80.

In error it turns out, I went for the Kronos.

I loved the sound and the flexibility, the keyboard action felt good too.

Where it all fell apart ( almost literally! ) was with the build quality...white powder where the panels rub together, noisy keyboard action, flimsy feeling controls, loud fan...sadly this was all too much and I decided I could not put up with it despite the sound and I returned it.

In the next couple of days comes it's replacement, a JP-80!...looking forward once again to the build quality of Roland and more keys than I've ever been used to :)
I wouldn't say that it was a good decision to return the X61, as that is a hell of a Workstation, but if you really want is a very well built performance oriented Synth (although without some bells and whistles like the Korg- karma, ARPs, Drum Grooves, etc), the JP-80 is a very good choice.

I hope you enjoy it.

P.S: If I could afford it I would like to have both ;-)
DNGmaestro

Post by DNGmaestro »

I actually bought a new Kronos and i'm kinda underwhelmed..!

It has some cool sounds and possibilites but that's it.
The menu navigation, the sequencer, the synth editing is all completely counter intuitive.
It has also crashed on me as well.

Comparing to the sound on the integra, i think the integra is much superior in terms of audio quality.
Shambler

Post by Shambler »

I switched the Kronos on about 4 times in all, one of those times it failed to boot with a USB error...nothing had ever been plugged in the USB.

I should receive the JP-80 tomorrow according to the tracking...should have been last Saturday but there's been a problem with a duplicate label (UPS).

Kronos sound I would say is second to none, it's just a shame they didn't spend another £200-£300 on the quality...really disappointing after I used to own a Triton blue meanie a few years ago which was of much higher build quality.

Here's a link to the pics I took of the Kronos...http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/ ... hp?t=86064