Broken or No Aftertouch?

Forum for JUPITER-80
candhp

Broken or No Aftertouch?

Post by candhp »

My new Jupiter 80 just arrived. I have like NO aftertouch response at all on any sound. The aftertouch is set to 100, so am I missing something here? I've read complaints about poor aftertouch response, but I have nothing regardless of how hard I press on key. I even did a factory reset without any luck. Is this normal? Can anyone suggest a registration for me to try to check this out? The board came with version 1.0 and I haven't updated yet. I hope I'm missing something here!
Devnor

Re: Broken or No Aftertouch?

Post by Devnor »

I don't use aftertouch. For an experiment I tried routing aftertouch to filter cutoff & volume and couldn't get it working. Seems like it's enabled at registration & liveset levels. Didn't see any settting at tone level. Didnt look at the midi data, to see if JU80 is sending anything. Didnt have much time to play with this. Will try again soon.
RayD

Post by RayD »

Aftertouch is used pretty sparingly in the factory presets. I believe at one point I tried what devnor did and was also not getting expected result, though I didn't spend a lot of time on it. Try some of the SN violins, you should hear subtle vibrato added with aftertouch.
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Hello, my first time on here. I experienced this when I got the keyboard earlier this year and got a prompt reply from Roland UK.

In the live set go to Layer then scroll down the various options on the left until you get to RX Filter 1.

Select this and turn on Caf, channel aftertouch by selecting the relevant box. I found in many live sets, this hadn't been selected by the original programmers, or so I assume. It's also worth checking at the tone and partial level that this parameter had been assigned, although it can't be assigned to vibrato as we all well know!

Hope this is of some help.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Thanks for the tip. It works nicely.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

TJ80 wrote:Hello, my first time on here. I experienced this when I got the keyboard earlier this year and got a prompt reply from Roland UK.

In the live set go to Layer then scroll down the various options on the left until you get to RX Filter 1.

Select this and turn on Caf, channel aftertouch by selecting the relevant box. I found in many live sets, this hadn't been selected by the original programmers, or so I assume. It's also worth checking at the tone and partial level that this parameter had been assigned, although it can't be assigned to vibrato as we all well know!

Hope this is of some help.
Welcome to the Clan TJ80!
And your first Post is to help others! this is really the spirit of the Clan.
Thanks to help maintaining it alive

Cheers,
Paulo
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Thank you, you're welcome.
I applied a while ago but hadn't got round to activating my account. I got the jupiter back in May and have been engrossed in it ever since!
cello

Post by cello »

Great first post TJ80 - thank you :)
candhp

Post by candhp »

Update: I contacted Roland Support and they said "Synth Bass Tones" 0792 & 0793 should have the aftertouch triggering the filter. I checked these out and still no luck. Then I decided to run some tests on my own. I connected MIDI OUT from JP80 to an external rack and found that it still did not trigger my external device. Then I connected MIDI IN from my OASYS to the JP80, and it DID trigger the aftertouch on these tones. Reported back to Roland and they suggested I take it to an authorized repair center, and suspect that there's a loose ribbon connector or wires inside. Haven't done that yet since the closest one is like 2 hours away. I guess that's what I need to do, but a shame I can't just open it up myself to check (i.e. would void my warranty I guess, so not gonna try). But if it's not a loose connector, I guess it could be the keybed, which would be a bigger repair. I can't imagine the keybed is bad since nothing else seems wrong, but guess I will see what they find.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

792 acid bass 7 and 793 alfareso bs do not have after touch enabled. Hit live set edit, common, layer then rx filter 1 then check caf to enable aftertouch.
candhp

Post by candhp »

Devnor wrote:792 acid bass 7 and 793 alfareso bs do not have after touch enabled. Hit live set edit, common, layer then rx filter 1 then check caf to enable aftertouch.
Forgot to mention...these were the tones for version 1.02.

Problem found: The aftertouch ribbon connector cable inside was not completely plugged in. It's a small 2-part, split cable and only one end was actually plugged into the connector. The other end was over-top of the connector. This was an apparent oversight at the factory in Japan during manufacturing since the cable is also taped over top the connector using reinforced tape. All works fine now.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

candhp wrote:
Devnor wrote:792 acid bass 7 and 793 alfareso bs do not have after touch enabled. Hit live set edit, common, layer then rx filter 1 then check caf to enable aftertouch.
Forgot to mention...these were the tones for version 1.02.

Problem found: The aftertouch ribbon connector cable inside was not completely plugged in. It's a small 2-part, split cable and only one end was actually plugged into the connector. The other end was over-top of the connector. This was an apparent oversight at the factory in Japan during manufacturing since the cable is also taped over top the connector using reinforced tape. All works fine now.
Good that you have your problem solved!

However it is quite strange that the factory QA let that pass...