Getting Inside the JP-80 (Cover Removal)

Forum for JUPITER-80
candhp

Getting Inside the JP-80 (Cover Removal)

Post by candhp »

I had a problem that required service, so took my JP-80 to a Roland authorized service center for diagnosis & repair. It required the technician to open up the JP-80, which he had to call Roland for advise on since he'd never serviced a JP-80 before. I was allowed to watch and took these notes in case I ever need to service the board after my warranty expires. Plus, I wanted to make sure the tech guy took extra care not scratch the delicate surface, etc!

1. Place board on a covered & padded surface for protection. Have a few extra pads for cushioning later needed.

2. Remove all screws on the two silver side panels, EXCEPT for the top two screws on each side.

3. Remove all screws from the bottom, EXCEPT for the seven screws holding the very FRONT, black plate where the program & next/previous buttons are located.

4. This seemed to be the tough part: Lift up the front on the keybed...very carefully...by grasping the two silver side panels at the front, and pulling it up at a slight angle. Hard to describe but it finally loosened and came apart.

5. The ribbon cable that attaches to the front keypad buttons will need to be removed at the point where it attaches to the MAIN BOARD. The tech had to reach in carefully to un-plug it, and it seemed tricky when he was ready to plug it back in after the repair.

6. The entire top cover folds back (guess it's on hinges), and the tech used pads on each side of the top cover to make sure the keys & mod lever were protected and slightly elevated so as not to touch the table top.

Hope this might help someone if needed.
scottrod

Re: Getting Inside the JP-80 (Cover Removal)

Post by scottrod »

What was the problem?