Re: Just hoppin' in to say...

Post by PauloF »

Long time "no see" you here ;-)

Merry Xmas you too, Motic!!
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Thanks Mo.

And Smokey says...hands off, these are all mine!
Smokey.jpg
Smokey.jpg (139 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
Merry Christmas from the Soundworld!
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

Happy holidays!!!

I already got my christmas present. ;-)
Attachments
IMG_7795.JPG
IMG_7795.JPG (111.26 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Thanks Mo.

And Smokey says...hands off, these are all mine!
Smokey.jpg
Merry Christmas from the Soundworld!
Hummm... All yours?

;-)

Merry Christmas Doug!
And a very very happy 2014 to you and your family

Ho ho ho
;-€
scottrod

Post by scottrod »

Merry Christmas to all!

Nothing big from Santa this year, just a new ROM card set for the JD-800 in the stocking. Nice though.

Have all the synths I need anyway, ... for now!

Peace ~
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

scottrod wrote:Merry Christmas to all!

Nothing big from Santa this year, just a new ROM card set for the JD-800 in the stocking. Nice though.

Have all the synths I need anyway, ... for now!

Peace ~
Hi Scott, long time "no see" !
Nice to see you agAin here
Merry Christmas and a very happy 2014 to you, family and friends!
Cheers
Paulo
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Merry Christmas all!!
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Thanks Paulo and now it is already time to wish everyone a safe and prosperous New Year and Feliz Ano Novo!

Congrats S-Rod on the JD Guitar Collection from Santa. I am quite fond of several patches on that one. Namely, C-57 Lusitania, C-58 Slo 48 String, C-62 Passionate, C-72 Ghost Wisps, C78 Whistle Stops and C-85 Windrize. I saw an entire SL-JD80 cardset collection a while back on e-bay and was tempted but I already had almost every card with the exception of Accordian and was surprised that they sold for about $700 USD. My favourite is still the SL-JD80-04 Strings Ensemble.

The JD-800 and the JD990 may be old, but those sounds will never go out of style! And yes, they complement the JP-80/50 quite nicely. Here's to making more beautiful music in 2014!
Digital Legacy 3_1.jpg
Digital Legacy 3_1.jpg (29.95 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Hello there.

I am with you ref the JD range, they still sound unique. I have a 800 and two 990's with the vintage board.They might be old as you say but complement the jupiter really well.

The strings card goes for silly money though, although I would be intrigued to know what is sounds like.

Season's Greetings.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

The strings card goes for silly money though, although I would be intrigued to know what is sounds like.
Ah yes, the old proverbial price that one has to pay for something precious and long since out of print. I would be interested to know what Mr. Rodriquez (er, excuse me, Santa!) had to pay for that Guitar Collection set.

The Strings Ensemble as usual for those 2-card SL-JD80 sets has a nice collection of 64 patches which are not all strings related (be sure to turn down the volume before you hit a big chord on "Elephant's Moan" to protect your hearing!). My favourite is the lush and beautifully detuned C-14 Horizon patch. I have also used C-52 Invocation Strings before and employed the C-61 Analog Strings patch on my Shogun song.

Oddly enough, the first three SL-JD80 card sets which were named "Drums and Percussion Standard", "Drums and Percussion Dance" and "Rock Drums" respectively are notable in that they also each contained 64 patches that used a lot of stock JD-800 / JD-990 waves although the waveform card was all drums and percussion sounds. Most notable is the lovely "Eastern Harporgan" on SL-JD80-01.

I also have the three JD9D card sets made esclusively for the 990, Modern Masters, Modern Sonics and Oz Perspective which have some pretty interesting patches as well. But by far the best bang for the buck is to have as you mentioned the Vintage board installed in the 990 so that you have not only the 256 regular JV patches but also the 256 made especially for the 990. Those CS-80 patches are huge!
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

I have those JDC cards which are a mixed bunch. But back to the Jupiter 80 as I suppose we must in this thread, I can't help but think it would be interesting if the waves on the vintage board not already in the existing list could be imported. In particular the CS and PPG ones. But maybe that's being greedy!
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

All of the sound cards ever produced were a mixed bag for sure. Whether they were from Roland, Sound Source Unlimited, Voice Crystal et al, there would be a handful of really useful interesting patches and then dozens of patches where they would for instance take a bass and add a flanger and call it like "Space Bass" or something like that. And those cards weren't cheap either!

I already had a large assortment of pianos, electric pianos, guitars, brass, basses and the like. What I was looking for was mostly stuff with a lot of movement. You know, patches that were otherworldy and beautiful in their own right. And those that had a unique character became useful building blocks for making my own custom patches so I still consider the money well-spent.

I see that Roland has given us Jupiterians another batch of pad sounds from Stephane Pigeon, who just also happens to be the creator of the aforementioned JD9D-02 Modern Sonics card for the 990. I have already downloaded them but haven't had a chance to give them a go yet.

Which leads us to the unique character of the Jupiter-80. Yes the architecture takes some getting used to, but once under the hood, it has the sonic ability to build some breathtaking collections of Tones. OK so I purposely steered away from the term Registration which has just never sat well with me.

So despite all of the criticism heaped on the new Jupiter, be it the outrage over Roland daring to use that [to some] "sacred" name again, or the bizarre architecture and juvenile archiving capabilities, it will remain to those who appreciate synthesis of sound a "wonder" and a joy to edit and create on.

Get in there and start editing mates! Bring forth a joyous noise in 2014 and beyond!
Editor_RB2_1.jpg
Editor_RB2_1.jpg (25.54 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Shambler

Post by Shambler »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Which leads us to the unique character of the Jupiter-80. Yes the architecture takes some getting used to, but once under the hood, it has the sonic ability to build some breathtaking collections of Tones. OK so I purposely steered away from the term Registration which has just never sat well with me.

So despite all of the criticism heaped on the new Jupiter, be it the outrage over Roland daring to use that [to some] "sacred" name again, or the bizarre architecture and juvenile archiving capabilities, it will remain to those who appreciate synthesis of sound a "wonder" and a joy to edit and create on.

Get in there and start editing mates! Bring forth a joyous noise in 2014 and beyond
The more I play it the more I love it.
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Me too. I spend hours tweaking away on it. I bought it because I like how it sounded, the build quality and it wasn't red :-) I am thinking about getting a second one.